Search billions of records on


Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870

Please notify me of any errors. Contact.

Transcribed by Kevin BROWN

Checked by Val HENDERSON 


  Pages 817 - 818

  ERMINGTON is a village and parish in the Plympton St. Mary union, containing by the census of 1861, 1785 inhabitants, and 4952 acres; in the deanery of Plympton, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, the hundred to which it gives its name, South Devonshire; 2 miles north-west from Modbury, and 10 east from Plymouth. The vicarage, with That of Kingston annexed, had the tithes commuted, in 1841, at £312 per annum, with residence and 40 acres of glebe, and is in the incumbency of the Re. Courtenay James Cooper Bulteel, M.A., and the alternative patronage of the Crown and the Rev. W. J. Pinwell. This is also a sinecure rectory, the tithes of which were commuted at £557 3s. per annum. W. F. Splatt, Esq., and the Rev. W. H. Andrews are the impropriators. The church is an ancient edifice, in the Early English style, dedicated to St. Peter, with a lofty tower containing five bells, and surmounted by a spire, which leans considerably on one side. The Wesylans have a place of worship here, and there is a National School for children of both sexes.


Clergy and Gentry.

Bartlett Rev. John M., M.A., Ludbrooke manor

Bulteel Rev. Courtenay John, Curate, The Vicarage

Hewett Rear-Admiral Richard Strode, C.B., Cadleigh house

Jarvis James, Esq., West park

Wyatt Frank Thomas, Esq., Erm Cottage


Trades and Professions.

Arthur William, Baker

Blackler James, "Old Inn"

Bunker George, shoemaker

Cane William, market gardener, Westlake

Cole William Henry, butcher and grocer,

Coleman Philip, blacksmith

Coleman Richard, farmer, Fernham

Coleman Richard, grocer, draper, tailor, general dealer and sub-postmaster

Corber John, "New Inn"

Cowls John, farmer, Ludbrooke lodge

Dyer James, baker

Elliott Charles, farmer and land agent to William F. Splatt, Esq., J.P., Hollowcombe

Elliott Thomas, cooper, carpenter and wheelwright, Langbrook

Ford Henry, shoemaker

Ford John, shoemaker

Frederick John, farmer, Brook

Gill William, farmer, Sexton

Heathman William, dairyman

Hillson Mrs. Joan, farmer, Lower Preston

Hillson William, beer retailer

Horton Arthur T., farmer, Swainston

Jackson Richard N., farmer, Freehamlet

Lavers John, cowkeeper, Lower Strode

Matthews John, cowkeeper, Keaton

Meatherill Joseph William, farmer, Woodland farm

Millman John, timberdealer

Millman Richard, grocer and timber dealer


Northmore John, parish clerk

Prowse John, mason, Westlake

Rogers Mrs. Ann, farmer, Clickland

Ryder William, farmer, Strashleigh

Sanders Richard, farmer, Beech

Sandover Philip, farmer and veterinary surgeon, Westlake

Shepherd John, farmer, Burraton

Taylor Martin, miller and farmer, Ermington mills

Toms John M., farmer, Coyton

Toms Philip M., farmer Lueston

Traher Mrs. Emmeline, "Julian Arms" inn, Cadleigh park

Treneman William, farmer, Burraton

Treneman William, farmer, East Worthill

Treneman William, jun., farmer, Preston

Veal James, blacksmith, Westlake

White William, farmer, Strode,

Willcocks John,farmer, Cleeve

Williams John, shoemaker

Williams -, National schoolmaster

Witheridge Arthur, carpenter, New mills

Witheridge Henry, painter and glazier

Witheridge John, shopkeeper

Witheridge Philip, wheelwright

Wotton James, farmer

Wotton William, farmer, Foxes Woodland

Wyatt John, farmer, Worthill


Post Office - Richard Coleman, sub-postmaster. Letters from Ivybridge at 6.50 a.m.; dispatched (North Mail) at 10.40 a.m. (London and general) 5.40 p.m. Ivybridge is the nearest money order office.


National School - - Williams, master; Miss Williams Mistress


Carrier - Joseph Dingle, to Plymouth, Thursday and Saturday







Updated 23/10/01