Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Kevin BROWN.
Checked by Val HENDERSON.
Pages 816 -817
Egg Buckland is a large parish and village in Plympton St. Mary union, containing, by the census of 1861, 1348 inhabitants, and, with Laira Green, 3304 acres; in the deanery of Plympton, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Roborough, South Devonshire; 3 miles north-east from Plymouth, on the banks of the river Plym, and near the railway from Plymouth to Tavistock. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Charles Edgar Turner, B.A., had the tithes commuted at £5-12-10s. per annum, and is In the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The rectorial tithes were also commuted at £205 per annum. The church, dedicated to St. Erasmus, is a noble edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, and a handsome tower with three bells, one of which is said to have been brought from Buckland Abbey. The church was rebuilt a few years since. There is a National School for children of both sexes. The poor have charitable bequests producing about £24 per annum. The extensive fortifications called the Northern defences of Plymouth occupy a considerable portion of this parish. Slate is quarried and copper ore is found here.
Widey Court, in the occupation of Miss Ann Moorshead, is celebrated as having been the residence of Prince Maurice, in the siege of Plymouth by the Parliamentary forces in 1643, and the King was there in 1644.
Knackersnowle is a hamlet of this parish 1.¼ mile south- east; and Thornbury, another small hamlet, 1.¼ mile north.
Laira Green, formerly extra-parochial, is now a parish under the Act of the 20th Victoria, c.19.
Christopher Tolcher, Esq., is Lord of the Manor of Egg Buckland, and Henry Clark, Esq., Lord of the manor of Efford; and they, with the Earl of Morley, Rev. John A. Moorshead, E Tolcher, John James Elliott, and Thomas Briggs Esqs., are the principle landowners.
Page Update 11/10/01