Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Val HENDERSON
Checked by Sybil CAMERON
DARTINGTON is a village and parish in Totnes union, containing, by the census of 1861, 626 inhabitants, and 3248 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Stanborough, East Devonshire; 2 miles north-east from Totnes, on the south bank of the river Dart. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Richard Champernowne, M.A., is valued at £924 per annum, with residence and 108 acres of glebe, and is in the patronage of Arthur Champernowne, Esq., J.P. The church is an ancient edifice, in the Perpendicular style, dedicated to St. Mary, consisting of nave, chancel, and tower with five bells, and was originally erected about the reign of Richard II. There is a National School for children of both sexes at Shinner's Bridge, and an Infant School at Week, supported by the rector and the Champernowne family. The poor have charitable bequests producing about £46 per annum, and five tenements occupied by the labouring classes, and Miss Spedding erected four cottages in 1835, which are occupied rent free.
DARTINGTON HOUSE is a fine ancient mansion, consisting of two quadrangles, one of which is in ruins, but the other was rebuilt in the time of Elizabeth. It is pleasantly situated in the midst of grounds sloping down to the river Dart, and is the seat of Arthur Champernowne, Esq., J.P., who is lord of the manor and chief landowner, and whose ancestors have been established here for many generations.
BROOKING is a hamlet of this parish, 3 miles from thence, in which a church was cormmenced by the late Henry Champernowne, Esq., and completed by the family after his death; it is a neat edifice, in the Early English style, dedicated to St. Barnabas, consisting of nave, chancel, south aisle, and tower, surmounted by a handsome spire, and was consecrated in 1855. The living is attached to the rectory of Dartington; the curate is the Rev. William Henry Hitchcock, M.A.
VENTON, STAPLE, and WEEK are also hamlets, forming part and parcel of this parish..
* Should be 'Week' not 'Weeks'
** Spelling variation 'Puddaven' and 'Puddevin' - Spelt 'Puddaven' on modern map.
Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.
© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.