Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Peter RUTHERFORD
Checked by Val HENDERSON
Pages 813 - 814
CORNWOOD is an extensive parish and village in Plympton St. Mary union, containing, by the census of 1861, 1087 inhabitants, and 10680 acres; in the deanery of Plympton, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Ermington, South Devonshire, on the South Devon Railway, at which it has a station; 3 miles west from Ivybridge, and 9 north-east from Plymouth by railway and 10 by road, in the valley of the river Yealm, and near the borders of Dartmoor Forest. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Christopher Churchill Bartholomew, M.A., had the tithes commuted, in 1842, at £352 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter. Lady Rogers is impropriator of the rectorial tithes, which were also commuted at £287 10s. 0d. per annum. The church is an ancient edifice in the Perpendicular style, dedicated to St. Michael, and consisting of nave, chancel, transept, aisle, and south porch, with ancient piscina and sedila; the tower and chancel appear to be of an earlier date than the remainder of the church. There is a school for children of both sexes, which has an endowment of £10 per annum arising from house and lands at Lutton, devised by the Rev. Duke Yonge in 1811. The original school was built by that gentleman in 1818, and has been rebuilt, with residence for the master, within a few years. Captain Parker is lord of the manor of Cornwood, Lady Rogers is lady of the manor of Blachford, and J. D. Pode, Esq., lord of the manor of Fardle.
DINATOR, HOUNDLE, TORR, and WATERLEET, are hamlets of this parish.
LUTTON is also a hamlet of this parish, about one mile south-west, and contains Fardle House, noted as having been the residence of Sir Walter Raleigh; it contains a fine old decorated chapel.
IVYBRIDGE is also partly in this parish, and is noted for its viaduct on the South Devon Railway, over the river and valley of the Erme, which is 110 feet high. The Blackford viaduct, adjoining, over the river and valley of the Yealm, is 100 feet in height; and the Slade viaduct 101 feet high.
BLACHFORD is a fine mansion, surrounded with a park well stocked with deer, the seat of the Dowager Lady Rogers, whose ancestors have had it in their possession since the reign of Queen Anne.
DELAMORE, the seat of Captain George Parker, R.N., was erected in 1862 on the site of an ancient mansion of the same name; it is in the Elizabethan and Gothic styles, and built of red granite faced with white, quarried from the adjoining moor. It is from the designs of J. St. Aubyn, Esq.
SLADE HALL, the residence of F. Burdock*, Esq., is the property of J.D. Pode, Esq., and although it has been modernised from time to time by various owners, still presents the remains of a fine old manor house. Until within the last few years no child has been born in this house for 170 years previously.
The poor have charitable bequests producing about £40 per annum.
* Noted spelling variation 'Burdock' and Bundock'
Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.
© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids