Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Elizabeth Glover HOWARD
Checked by Val HENDERSON
Pages 406 - 407
CLOVELLY is a village and parish in Bideford union, containing, by the census of 1861, 825 inhabitants, and 3502 acres; in the deanery and hundred of Hartland, archdeaconry of Barnstaple, diocese of Exeter, North Devonshire, 5 miles east from Hartland, and 11 south-west from Bideford, romantically situated on the side of a steep rock adjoining Bideford Bay; the houses being built on the side of the rock one above another, it is nearly a succession of steps from the beach through the village. The neighbourhood abounds in most romantic scenery. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. James John Chichester, B.A., is valued at £200 per annum, with residence and 78 acres of glebe land, and is the patronage of Neville H. Fane, Esq. The church is an ancient Saxon edifice, dedicated to All Saints, consisting of nave, chancel, and aisle, with Saxon porch and tower containing four bells. There is a small school for children of both sexes. This place was formerly noted for its extensive herring fishery, but which has of late years considerably decreased; it is however, still a fishing station. The National Life Boat Institution on the 18th June, 1870, established a life-boat here for the use of this portion of the Bristol Channel.
CLOVELLY DYKES, on the south side of the village, are the remains of a Roman encampment, who are supposed to have had a station here.
CLOVELLY COURT is most beautifully situated, commanding magnificent views of the neighbourhood. It is the seat of Neville H. Fane, Esq., who is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil.
* Noted COOKE and COOK
Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.
© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.