Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Deborah O'BRIEN
Checked by Val HENDERSON
Pages 809 - 810
BUCKLAND MONACHORUM is a village and parish in Tavistock union, containing, by the census of 1861, 1489 inhabitants, and 6338 acres; in the deanery of Tamerton, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Roborough, South Devonshire; 4 miles south from Tavistock. An abbey was founded here in 1278 by Alicia, widow of Baldwin, Earl of Devonshire, dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. Benedict, to which she removed a society of Cistercian Monks from the Isle of Wight, and from whence the distinguishing name of Monachorum is derived. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Richard James Hayne, M.A., had the tithes commuted, in 1842 at £304.10s. per annum, with residence and 49A. 2R. 39P. of glebe land, and is in the patronage of the Rev. Richard Hayne D.D. The church is a handsome edifice, dedicated to St. Andrew, in the Third Pointed style of architecture, consisting of nave, north and south transepts, chancel, north and south aisles, and a tower, surmounted by pinnacles, containing six bells and a clock. The Wesleyans and Baptists have places of worship here. There is a National School for children of both sexes, which was founded and endowed, in 1702, by Lady Elizabeth Modyford. There are some charitable bequests for the benefit of the poor. Sir Thomas Fuller Elliott Drake, Sir Anthony Buller, the Duke of Bedford, John H. Gill Esq., J.P., and Sir Massey Lopez are the chief landowners, the latter being lord of the manor.
HORRABRIDGE is a hamlet of this parish, on the Launceston branch of the South Devon Railway, at which it has a station. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Frederick Henry Tucker, LL.B., is valued at £150 per annum, and is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter. The church, or chapel-at-ease, was erected by subscription, in 1835; it is also in the Early English style of architecture, and will seat about 300.
MILTON is also a hamlet forming part and parcel of this parish.
Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.
© 2001-2002 Transcriber and Checker as named above.