Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Val HENDERSON
BISHOPS TEIGNTON is a village and parish in Newton Abbot union, containing, by the census of 1861, 974 inhabitants, and 4741 acres; in the deanery of Kenn, archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, hundred of Exminster, East Devonshire; 2 miles west from Teignmouth, 4 east from Newton Abbot, 12 south from Exeter, and 184 from London, on the north bank of the river Teign, commanding splendid views of the harbour and estuary. It was formerly a demesne of the see of Exeter, hence its name, and remains of an ancient palace are in existence, which was built by Bishop Grandisson, who principally erected Exeter Cathedral. In a letter letter from that prelate to Pope John XXII., about the year 1322, he describes this palace as a " beautiful structure." The vicarage, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. William Reynolds Ogle, M.A., had the tithes commuted, in 1842, at £217 per annum, and has residence and eight acres of glebe land. The rectorial tithes were also commuted at £499 per annum. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, in the Norman style, nearly covered with ivy, consisting of nave, north aisle, chancel, and tower; the western doorway is a fine specimen of Norman architecture. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship here, and there is a National School for children of both sexes, which has an endowment of about £25 per annum. The Rev. John Comyns is lord of the manor, and he and James George James Templer, Esq., are the chief landowners.
LUTON is a hamlet of this parish, about 2 1\2 miles north-east from thence, which has lately been formed into a separate ecclesiastical district. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Arthur William Shepperd, is valued at £65 per annum, and is in the patronage of the vicar of Bishops Teignton. The church is a neat edifice, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and like Bishops Teignton almost covered with ivy. There is a National School for children of both sexes, with residence for the master. Lord Clifford is lord of the manor.
COOMBE and ASHWELL are also hamlets of this parish.
Clergy and Gentry.
Brooks James, Esq., Vincent lodge
De Brett Miss. Martha, Clanage house
Downes Lloyd, Esq., Keittoes
Furze Mr. Samuel, Westeria cottage
Gardiner The Misses, Delamore house
Goss James, Esq., Higher green
Harris Charles Arthur, Esq., J.P., Cross house
Harris Miss Louisa
Harris Wm. Harris, Esq., Wood house
Hole Rev. Thomas, B.A., Huntley
Huddlestone Mrs. Mary, The Lodge
Ogle Rev. William Reynolds, M.A., vicar
Penny R. Greenwood, Esq., Hallowmead
Ramson Mr. John Luse, Teign cottage
Rhodes Mrs. Barbara, Teign lawn
Rickards The Misses, Tapley
Robin John, Esq.
Scroggs Rev. Sydney M. Cockhaven
Templer James George James, Esq., J.P., Lindridge
White Rev. John, Seymour cottage
Trades and Professions.
Berry Mrs. Charlotte, shopkeeper
Boone William, "Commercial" inn
Boone Wm., shoemaker and shopkeeper
Border John, beer retailer
Border William, mason
Brock Mrs. Mary, farmer, Coombe
Coombe Henry, mason
Coombe Mrs., milliner and dressmaker
Cornish Thomas Rowell, farmer and manure agent, Wolfsgrove
Fey James, carpenter
Gill Wm., carrier and coal dealer
Hammond Richard, baker
Harris Joseph, assistant overseer
Harris Richard, confectioner and baker
Harris Walter Oke, grocer and draper
Helyer Miss Ann, straw bonnetmaker and dressmaker
Hill David, "Manor" inn
Hill Samuel, carrier and coal dealer
Holmes Robert, tailor
Honeywill Mrs. Grace, butcher
Hore John, lodgings, Teign terrace
Jackman Albert, tailor
Jackman Miss Clara, milliner and dressmaker
Job Mrs. Mary Ann, milliner and dressmaker
KIMBER CHARLES WEST, grocer, tea dealer, and wine merchant; and at Exeter
Lamacraft Miss Mary, milliner and dressmaker
Maddicott Thomas, farmer, Lower Humber
Major Henry, smith and farrier
Mann William, carpenter
Martin John, farmer
Medland Wm., manager of gas works
Meek Edward, fly proprietor
Newton Edward, shoemaker
North James, shoemaker
Nosworthy Robert, National schoolmaster
Palk Edwaed, farmer, Ashwell
Pook John, sub-postmaster
Paddon William Elliott, farmer, Coombe
Parsons William, farmer, Venn
Raphill William, blacksmith
Reed William, farmer, Radway
Rossiter Mrs., farmer, Lower Wear
Scagell Richard, blacksmith
Smallwood Mrs. Jemima, draper
Soper James, farmer, Higher Radway
Tucker John, shoemaker, "Ring of Bells"
Underhill Henry, farmer, Cockhaven
Vincent Simon, carpenter, Ash hill
Vooght John, farmer, Higher Humber
Watkins Wm., butcher
Whidborne George, farmer, Shute
Wills John, farmer, Ash hill
Wotton James, bailiff to the Rev. George Comyns, Cross cottage
Vooght Mr. Elias
Trades and Professions.
Coombe Wm., miller, baker, and farmer, Luton mill
Cornish George, farmer, Higher Rixtail
Cornish James T., farmer, Lower Rixtail
Major John, blacksmith
Tucker Joseph, National schoolmaster
Vooght James, farmer, Hayes farm
Vooght James, jun., farmer, Marsden farm
Vooght John, farmer, Hemblecombe
Vooght William, farmer, Higher Rixtail
Wood Mrs. Maria, farmer and carrier
Wyman Mrs. Sarah, cider retailer
Post Office - John Pock, sub-postmaster.
Letters from Teignmouth arrive at 7.30 a.m. and 8 p.m.; dispatched at 5.30 a.m. and 5.30 p.m. Teignmouth is the nearest money order office.
Letters for Luton through Chudleigh arrive at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.; on Sundays at 10 a.m. Chudleigh is also the nearest money order office.
National School, Bishops Teignton - Robert Nosworthy, master; Miss Elizabeth Nosworthy, mistress
National School, Luton - Joseph Tucker, master
Carriers - Samuel Hill, Mrs. Maria Wood, and William Till, to and from Teignmouth daily.