Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Peter RUTHERFORD
Checked by Val HENDERSON
Pages 804 - 805
BICKLEIGH is a village and parish in Plympton St. Mary union, containing, by the census of 1861, 402 inhabitants, and 2323 acres; in the deanery of Tamerton, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Roborough, South Devonshire, on the Launceston and South Devon Railway, at which it has a station; 7 ½ miles north from Plymouth, and on the banks of the river Plym, which runs through a delightful valley known as Bickleigh Vale, and much frequented by anglers. The vicarage, with the chapelry of Sheepston attached, is valued at £252 per annum, with residence, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. John (*) Duncan Cork, M.A., and the patronage of Sir Massey Lopez, Bart. The church was rebuilt in 1839 by Sir Ralph Lopez, Bart., on the site of the former one, of which it was a restoration, and now consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, porch at the south-west corner, and vestry on the south side of the chancel, with a pinnacled tower containing a peal of six bells. It would appear from a taxation made during the years 1288 and 1291, by Nicholas IV., that a church existed here at that period; and again in 1356, on a visit by the archdeacon of the diocese, orders were made for repairs of the chancel; but of this church there were no remains existing in the one that stood here up to 1838, if we except a very ancient font which was found in the rubbish under the flooring, which is supposed to be Norman, but it is very doubtful to which era it belongs. In the chancel is a handsome stained glass window, containing the royal arms in the centre, with those of the see and province on the north side, and those of the Lopez family on the south side. There is also a school for children of both sexes, with residence for the master attached, which was erected by Sir Massey Lopez about three years ago. Sir Massey Lopez is lord of the manor.
JUMP is a hamlet of this parish, about one mile from the church.
(*) transcription note: Rev. Joseph Duncan Cork (Crockford Clerical Directory - 1870)
Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.
© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids