Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Val HENDERSON
Checked by Sybil CAMERON
Pages 453 - 454
ASHPRINGTON is a village and parish in the Totnes union, containing, by the census of 1861, 537 inhabitants, and 2790 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Coleridge, South Devonshire, near the confluence of the river Harbourn with the estuary of the Dart, and the river Washbourne runs through the parish; 2 1\2 miles south-east from Totnes, 7 north-west from Dartmouth, and 10 south-west from Torquay. The rectory, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. George W.T. Carwithen, M.A., had the tithes commuted, in 1844, at £537 per annum, with residence and 28A. 3R. 17P. of glebe land. The church is a handsome edifice, in the Perpendicular style, dedicated to St. David, consisting of nave, chancel, and north and south aisles, with tower and five bells, and was extensively repaired in 1845 by Richard Durant, Esq., at a cost of £1,000. There is a school for children of both sexes, which was erected in 1846. The rateable value of the parish is £4,673.
SHARPHAM HOUSE, the seat of Richard Durant, Esq., D.L., J.P., who is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil, is a handsome mansion, in the midst of well-wooded grounds, on the west bank of the river Dart.
BOW, half-a-mile; PAINSFORD, 1 mile; WASHBOURN, 2 miles; and YETSON, three-quarters of a mile, are hamlets, forming part and parcel of this parish.
TUCKENHAY, 1 mile from the church, in another hamlet, in which there is a paper mill.
Clergy and Gentry.
Blackbough Mr., Steps cottage
Carwithen Rev. George W.T., M.A., rector, Ashprington house
De Schmid Charles, Esq., Springfield house, Tuckenhay
Durant Richard, Esq., J.P.D.L., Sharpham house
Landon Rev. Whittington Henry, M.A., The Rectory
Lloyd Richard, Esq., Spring bank, Tuckenhay
Michelmore Philip, Esq.,Painsford house
Turner Richard, Esq., Tuckenhay house
Williams Mrs., The Hermitage
Young Arthur, Esq., Yetson house
Trades and Professions.
Bettye Mrs. Anna Maria, schoolmistress
Bowden John Henry, boot and shoemaker
Buckingham Henry and Son, carpenters
Burgoyne John, mason
Camp James, cider retailer, Bow
Chudley John, miller, Washbourne
Earle John, farmer, Brooking farm
Elliott John, baker and shopkeeper
Ellis Richard John Langworthy, "Ashprington" inn
Ewins William, butcher, Bow bridge
Hannaford John, "Maltsters' Arms," Tuckenhay
Harris John, farmer, Washbourne
Harvey John, dairyman
Hudge Richard, dairyman
James William, shopkeeper and sub-postmaster, Tuckenhay
Life Thomas, blacksmith, Washbourne
Lizard Thomas Edward, farmer, Sharpham Barton
Lodge John, smith and edge tool maker, "Waterman's Arms," Bow
Mann Joseph, farmer, Yetson
Manning Chas., maltster and coal merchant, Tuckenhay
Manning John, farmer, Washbourne
Mason Charles, yeoman, Ashprington court
Newland Mrs. Elizabeth, baker and shopkeeper
Palk James, miller and farmer, Bow mills
Peek William, farmer, Yetson
Rawle William, farmer, Parchwood
Robins George, dairyman
Roper Thomas, millwright and blacksmith
Rouse Edward, farmer, Washbourne
Treeby John, miller, Tuckenhay
Turner Richard, paper manufacturer, Tuckenhay
Wood John, miller and farmer, Painsford mill
Wyatt Samuel, tailor and parish clerk
Post Office, Tuckenhay - William James, sub-postmaster. Letters from Totnes arrive at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Totnes.
School - Mrs. Anna Maria Bettye, mistress
Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.
© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.