Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Val HENDERSON
Checked by Arthur FRENCH
ABBOTS-KERSWELL (or CARSWELL) is a village and parish in Newton Abbot union, containing, by the census of 1861, 437 inhabitants, and 1461 acres; in the deanery of Ipplepen, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Haytor, East Devonshire; 2 miles south from Newton Abbot, 6 north-east* from Torquay, and 18 south from Exeter, near the main road from thence to Totnes. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Vesey Germain Hine, B.A., had the tithes commuted, in 1836, at £204 per annum, with residence and 60 acres of glebe land, and is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor; it was formerly in the gift of the Abbey of Sherborne (Dorset), who possessed property in this parish. The vicar of Cornworthy is appropriator of the rectorial tithes, which were commuted at £116 per annum. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, and lady chapel, with tower and three bells. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship here; the former, which was a small cottage, was given by the late Mr. R.W. Ford, in 1838, and the site for the latter was presented by the late W. Creed, Esq. There is a National School for the children of both sexes. The church property produces about £8 per annum, part of which is expended in the repairs of the edifice, and the other part in payment of the clerk and sexton. The parish is divided amongst a number of small freeholders, the principal owners being Sir Walter Palk Carew, Bart., Commander Marcus Hare, R.N., Mr. Hole, Mr. Creed, Mr. Henley, and Mr. Richard Ford.
ALLER is a small hamlet, forming part of this parish.
* Abbots-kerswell is 6 (miles) north-west from Torquay not north-east.
Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.
© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.