Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

You have arrived on Shirley Farone’s Website perhaps via the link from Nan Dixon's pages. My homepage contains an index to many, many other interesting features.

The Town of Antwerp
pp. 85-95

 

This town was formed from Le Ray, with its present limits, April 5, 1810, to take effect on the 1st of January following. A part of Lewis County was annexed to Jefferson by the same act. The first town meeting was directed to be held at the house of Francis McAllaster.

Supervisors. -- 1811-7, Daniel Heald; 1818-9, Silvius Hoard; 1820-2, John Howe; 1823-4, S. Hoard; 1825-6, J. Howe; 1827, Joseph H. Bagg; 1828, Ralph Rogers; 1829, William Skinner; 1830-32, Rufus H. King; 1833-4, David McAllaster; 1835, R. H. King; 1836, Edward Fowler; 1837-8, Tilley R. Pratt; 1839, R. H. King; 1840, William McAllaster; 1841-2, James White; 1843, Alanson Drake; 1844-9, Alden Adams; 1850-1, Joseph H. White; 1852, Josiah S. Conkey; 1853, John H. Conklin. The town is named from Antwerp in Belgium, the seat of the Antwerp Company.

Notes from the Town Records, 1811. -- “Resolved, that there be five dollars raised for the purpose of destroying the animal woolf, by a majority of said meeting, and payed, for each full grown woolf caught and killed in said town the ensuing year.” The same bounty in 1812-3. In 1816, bounty of $1 was offered for foxes, and 25 cents for hen hawks, but these were repealed the next year. In 1835, a crow bounty of 1 shilling was offered. In 1827-8 and 1837-8, wolf bounties of $10. In 1839, of $15; in 1841-2-3-4, wolf bounties of $20. In 1840-1, crow bounties of 1 shilling.

On 2d of July, 1812, a special meeting was called to take measures considered necessary in consequence of the war. Their proceedings are recorded as follows:

At a convened meeting of the inhabitants of the town of Antwerp, county of Jefferson, for the purpose of making fortification against an expected enemy, the following resolutions were passed. Resolved, That Samuel Randall, town clerk, shall be made moderator. Resolved, That there be built a fort, 36 by 20, the lower story, and upper 40 by 22, for the security of the inhabitants of said town. Resolved, that it be set north of Indian River 30 rods, in front of Sylvius Hoard’s house.” John Howe, Silas Ward, and Oliver Hoard, were appointed a building committee, 50 cents were to be allowed for a day’s work, to be paid by a tax.

On the 17th of July, another special meeting was held, at the request of the commissioners and supervisor of the town, for the purpose of devising “a proper method for our defense, through a tragedy of war which is now beginning action between the United States and Great Britain,” and according to law, notice was given to the inhabitants, for the said meeting to be held at the house of Francis McAllaster, inn keeper. A similar series of resolutions were passed, with the additional clause requiring the laborers on the fort to work for 50 cents per day and board themselves.

In 1813, a town law was passed, requiring the registry of births and deaths, and this commendable practice was maintained several years. In 1816, a committee consisting of John Howe, Silvius Hoard, and Samuel Randall, were appointed to take charge of the church when completed. This was the present brick church, erected at the expense of David Parish, for the use of the town, at a cost of $9692-26.

In 1825, the following extraordinary bounty was offered by the town. “And it is further ordained and declared by the authority aforesaid, that if any person or persons not exceeding four in number, bring inhabitants of said town of Antwerp, shall devise, discover, or perceive, any certain and sure plan, method, or device, for effectually destroying and eradicating the Canada thistle from the land, such persons shall each be entitled to receive from the said town, the sum of $10.” At the same meeting it was resolved that the annual town meeting should annually thereafter, be held alternately at Indian River and Ox Bow villages. For several years these have been held at Antwerp village only.

The first settler in this town, is said to have been Capt. Wm. Lee, who in 1803, located on the old state road, three miles north of Antwerp village, where he was induced to open an inn for the accommodation of the settlers then passing through into St. Lawrence County. The town had been early purchased by Gen. Lewis R. Morris, of Springfield, Vt., who at one time designed settling at the present village of Ox Bow, where he made a small clearing and erected a log house. Under his direction the town began to settle.

In the spring of 1806, Silas Ward commenced the erection of a saw mill at the present village for Morris, which was the first improvement here, and the place acquired and long maintained the name of Indian River, by which name it is still known by old settlers. It being at the point where the state road crossed the river, and affording a good water power, the place was naturally destined to become the centre of business for the surrounding country. In the winter of 1805, a road was opened from Philadelphia to this place and Ox Bow, and the next year to Gouverneur, which began to settle at about this time. Gershom Matoon kept the first inn at the village. In Jan. 1807, John Jenison, was appointed a local agent, under whose direction a grist mill was built on the site of the present clothing works. The land books show the following names of settlers, with the dates of their purchase: 1805, Wm. Lee. 1806, John Bethel, John Robinson, Peter Vrooman, Edward Foster, Jr., Mary Stirling, Benajah Randall, John Jenison, Peter Raven, Hopestill Griswold, David Coffeen, Zopher Holden. 1808, Samuel Randall, Zebina Bishop, Mary Bishop, Alfred Walter, Daniel Gill, Wm. Fletcher. 1809, Rich’d McAllaster, Dexter Gibbs, Sherebiah Gibbs, Jonathan Marbles, Isaac L. Hitchoock (sic), Timothy Ruggles, Jesse Jackson, Daniel Heald, John Pease. 1810, Amasa Sartwell, Almond Beecher, Wm. Fletcher, Duthan Kingsbury, Harrison Mosely. 1811, Oliver Howell, Lemuel Hubbard, Anson Cummings, John White, Levi Wheelock. 1812, Wm. Harris, Wm. McAllaster, Daniel Sterling, Salmon White, Warren Streeter, Wm. Randall, Elkanah Pattridge, Ira Ward, Asher Seymour, Roswell Wilder, Benj. Goodwin, Elliot Lynde, Daniel Gill, Caleb Cheney, Henry C. Baldwin, James Briggs, Silas Brooks, Shailer Beckwith, Silas Ward, Ezra Church. In 1808, David Parish,* (A biographical sketch of Mr. David Parish and his brother George, are given in the Hist. of St. Lawrence and Franklin Co’s, p. 600) an eminent banker of Hamburgh, made extensive purchases in Northern New York, including 29,033 acres in this town. Mr. Jenison was continued in the agency until succeeded by Sylvius Hoard. In April, 1824, the present agent, Mr. Wm. McAllaster was appointed.

Soon after Mr. Parish had purchased, the greatest alarm was spread through the settlement of Antwerp and Rossie, by the misrepresentations of a vicious minded person, who had previously been employed as an agent for selling one of the townships of St. Lawrence County, and had deliberately perpetrated a villainly in the execution of his trusts, for which there was no timely redress. With no assignable motive but a morbid love of mischief, he visited some of the settlers, and announced that they had now changed master, and would soon know what it was to be in the hands of a tyrant; that their dues would be exacted with vigor, and forthwith, or they would be stripped of their property and turned off destitute from their homes. This alarming announcement, coming from one who figured largely in public affairs, spread an alarm through the settlement, and when they were shortly visited by Mr. Joseph Rosseel (sic), agent of the new purchaser, the excitement was intense. He immediately set himself at work in restoring confidence with the people, visited them in their houses, shared in their homely fare, entered into all their little plans and amusements, attended their parties, and by a persevering course of familiarity and kindness, soon succeeded in counteracting the mischief which the slanderous villain had occasioned.

On the arrival of Mr. Parish, he visited every family, and assured them that they might depend upon any indulgence that might be reasonably asked. The sincerity of this promise they never found reason to mistrust.

Mr. Parish adopted the plan of giving contracts entitling to deeds upon payment, while Morris had commenced giving deeds, and taking back mortgages. The early sales were conditioned to the clearing of a certain portion of land, and the erection of a house, and shortly after the mineral wealth of the town began to be known, a clause was inserted in the contracts, reserving all mines of iron, copper, and lead. The form of reservation now adopted was drawn up with the counsel of several eminent lawyers, and is as follows: “And such conveyance thereof, to contain an express exception and reservation, of all mines or ores of iron, copper, or lead, plumbago, zinc, tin and silver, and all beds of coal, marble, gypsum, copper and waterlimestone, and all mineral springs, which may be upon, under, or within, the limits of the said above described parcel of land; and also an express reservation to the grantor, to be therein named, and to his and their heirs and assigns forever, of the right and privilege, to search and dig on any and every part of the said premises, for such minerals, or ores, and if found, to raise, wash, remove and take away the same to his, or their own benefit, and to use and employ all proper means for these, or any of these purposes; the said grantor covenanting, or agreeing, on his part and behalf, to make just, reasonable and full compensation, to * * * for all such damage, if any, as he, or they may sustain, by reason of any such search or digging, whether in respect to any dwelling, or other buildings, or improvements on the said lands, or in respect to the cultivation of the same in consequence of any injury to the soil thereof.”

The following table will show the rate at which the Parish tract in this town has been settled, nearly every acre of which, has been either deeded or contracted.

 

 

.

Acres Con.

Sums Due.

.

Acres Con.

Sums Due.

1826.

10,351,

$44,761.

1845

14,084,

$93,769.

1830.

13,494,

54,370.

1850

9,330,

57,647.

1835.

13,193,

64,343.

1853

5,089,

38,039.

1840.

16,782,

94,337.

.

.

.

 

At present rates, the town will be entirely settled up at the land office in seven or eight years.

In 1808, a party of militia, under Captain Timothy Tamblin, was stationed near the intersection of the two great roads leading into St. Lawrence County, a mile north of the village, to prevent smuggling under the embargo law. There was much opposition both in theory and practice to this law. An instance is related in which a practical joke of a somewhat serious nature, was played off upon one of these guardians of the national welfare. A person to whom the law was odious, having set a trap in his sleigh, and placed around it a loading calculated to convey the impression that there were smuggled goods, approached the guard, but warned those on duty to keep away from his load, or they would get into trouble. Not deterred by this threat, one of the guard proceeded rudely to overhaul the slight, to ascertain its contents, and was soon convinced that it at least concealed a trap, for it sprung upon his hand, at which the driver gave reins to his team and drove off exclaiming, “I’ve caught a Democrat!” Soon after the news of the war reached the town, the inhabitants concerted measures for self-protection by building a block house, which stood in the street, in front of T. R. Pratt’s present hotel. It was used a short time by the inhabitants, but the terror which the news of war first occasioned soon subsided, and it was demolished. During the war, a company of regular troops was stationed a little north of Antwerp Village, to prevent smuggling into the country from Canada. The inducements which led to this were so strong, that much ingenuity was exercised in evading the vigilance of sentinels, and sometimes with great success. Five or six sleigh loads of tea, had on a certain occasion been got to within three or four miles of Antwerp, having passed thus far without suspicion from the tea being packed in bags, like grain on its way to market. To evade the military guard that obstructed the road, the following stratagem was adopted. Captain B. who had charge of the company, was invited to a whist party at Cook’s Tavern, three miles north of Antwerp, at which place, during the evening, a large party of boys and young men assembled, with no apparent object but to spend the evening in carousing, drinking and card playing. Brand circulated freely, and the revels continued till a late hour in the night, when the captain and his party set out to return in a sleigh closely followed by the loads of tea, thickly covered by a disorderly crowd, who by singing, shouting, quarreling, and fighting, made the night hideous with unearthly discords, and would readily pass as half drunken rabble returning from a midnight revel. The captain, who was himself rather more than half intoxicated, entered with spirit into the merriment of the others, and as the train approached the sentinels, he shouted: “Its Captain B, let my company pass.” The order was obeyed, and the disorderly mob passed on, and having got beyond reach of danger, they left the teams to pursue their course in quiet, and in due time boasted of the success of their stratagem.

In December 1816, preparations were begun under direction of Parish, for the erection of a forge, on Indian River, a mile above Antwerp Village. A road, a dam, a forge, and a house were built soon after, and the forge continued two or three years with no profit. In 1824 a distillery was commenced at the same place, and kept in operation from 1825, till the death of George Parish in 1839, running mostly during the fall, winter and spring months, and consuming from Jan. 1826 till May 1839 (except 1829, 30, during a part of which years it was not run) 72,114 bushels of corn, 40,074 of rye, 4,423 of rye malt, 2,370 of rye flour, 663 of barley malt, 108 of crushed barley, and 4,899 pounds of hops, and making more than half a million of gallons of proof whiskey. From 50 to 125 head of cattle were fattened here annually during the winter months, and in the summer sometimes a large number of swine. Corn and rye were purchased at from 56 cts. to a dollar a bushel, the average being about 63 cts., and barley at from 75 cts. to a dollar. These works were erected and superintended by Wm. McAllaster, as agent for Geo. Parish, and afforded a home market for grain and cattle, which enabled farmers to pay for their lands much sooner than would otherwise have been possible, although the pernicious influence of this business upon the public morals, has doubtless been much greater than the benefits conferred.

In 1834 a grist mill was built by Mr. Parish, near the distillery, which with the adjacent property was purchased by James Sterling, in 1846, and a furnace erected 28 feet square, and 32 feet high, which was at first fitted for the hot, but which has since 1849 been run with the cold blast. It has been run upon ore from the Sterling mine in this town, only so much of other qualities of ore being used as is necessary for its proper reduction. Castings have not been made at the furnace, but a foundry has been got in operation near by, under the direction of other parties. This locality is about four miles from the mine, from which ore is drawn at 50 cts. per ton. A small village has grown up around the premises, which has acquired the local name of Sterlingburgh. There are, besides the furnace and mills, a plaster mill, and a few shops and dwellings.

Antwerp Village is 6 miles from Philadelphia, 10 from Theresa, 7 from Ox Bow, 7 from Somerville, 16 from Carthage, 8 from Sterlingville, 13 from Great Bend, and 22 from Watertown. The Potsdam and Watertown rail road, now building, passes through the village, and it has plank roads leading to Gouverneur, Rossie, Great Bend, and Carthage, each of which connect with others.

The Village of Antwerp was incorporated under the general act, in pursuance of an order of the court of sessions, and confirmed at a special election, held July 30, 1853, by a vote of 53 to 3. The limits of the corporation embrace 660 acres of land. There are in the village, churches of the Baptist, Catholic, and Presbyterian orders, three hotels, six or seven stores, a great variety of mechanics, and about 500 inhabitants.

The village of Ox Bow, near the north line of the town, is pleasantly situated on a remarkable bend of the Oswegatchie River, which gives name to the place. The first settler here was Peter Vrooman, from Johnstown, who located on the old state road, in the north part of the village, about 1803. From its being at the convergence of several important roads, which the natural features of the country compelled to pass here, it has, without other advantages, become a small village of two inns, two stores, a few mechanic shops, and forty or fifty families. It has a church, belonging to the Associate Reformed order. The scenery around this village is remarkably fine, and the shores of neighboring lakes, possess a romantic interest from the numerous problems in geology that they present. As an inviting field for the collection of minerals, this vicinity is unrivalled, and in our chapter on the mineral resources of the county, the species and varieties found here, will be enumerated. This village is on the plank road, between Antwerp and Hammond, and is the terminus of one leading to Evans’ Mills and Watertown. It is 7 miles from Rossie, 10 from Theresa, 16 from Evans’ Mills, 11 from Philadelphia, 7 from Antwerp, 4 from Somerville, and 8 from Gouverneur, by way of Wegatchie, or Church’s Mills. About half a mile from the village, on the plank road towards Evans’ Mills, (is a singular precipice of gneiss rock, sixty or seventy feet high and quite perpendicular, upon the face of which is the section of a remarkable excavation, similar to the pot holes found in lime stone rocks, and worn by the rotation of pebbles in water. The following figure from Prof. Emmon’s report on the geology of the 2nd district, represents accurately the shape of the excavation, but fails to impart an adequate idea of the grandeur of the associated scenery.


When the settlements were new, meetings were, it is said, held at the foot of this cliff, the cavity serving as a pulpit, from whence was derived the name.

For mineral wealth, Antwerp stands unrivaled in the county. Being underlaid mostly by primary rock, and the border of the lowest sedimentary formations, it affords at several points, mines that are wrought with great profit, and at others, strong indications of ores which have not been yet explored. Of minerals interesting to the man of science, but without practical value, the number is large. So much as relates to the history of these mines will be given here, while their geological relations will be detailed in on chapter on that subject.

A query was opened in a ledge of gneiss, on the old state road, between Mr. Cook’s place, and Ox Bow, in 1805, by David Coffeen, and James Parker, for the manufacture of mill stones. The business was followed more or less, a part of each year, till about 1828, during which time nearly 100 pair were made, and sold in adjoining counties, or sent westward. The price of a pair ready for hanging, was generally $100. Boulders of gneiss, were often used in making mill stones in the county, at an early day, some of which were found to answer a good purpose.

Specular iron ore, had been wrought in the adjoining town of Rossie, since 1812, and many unsuccessful expenditures had been made in this, when, in 1836, a locality was reported to have been found on an island in the midst of a swamp, on the farm of Hopestill Foster, 3 miles north of Antwerp Village. This was covered by the landlord’s reserve, but from the unsuccessful issue of all former trials in this town, Mr. Parish attached but little importance to the discovery, and for $200 sold his interest to James Sterling, and others. This, upon opening, has proved a mine of immense value, yielding ore of rich quality, and in unknown amount. The statistics of this mine can not be accurately obtained, but it has mainly supplied the furnace at Sterlingville since 1837, that at the distillery, since 1846, and for a year or two another of Sterlingsburh (sic) (Louisburgh), Lewis County, belonging to Mr. Sterling. The ore is wrought by men hired by the month, and the mine is opened to the day. It is drained by horse pumps, but from its being surrounded by swamp, will always be incommoded by water, especially when the mine is sunk to a considerable depth. It has not hitherto been necessary to elevate the ore by machinery. About a half a mile south of this, is another mine, belonging to Parish, known as the White ore bed, from the owner of the farm where it occurs. One mile from Antwerp Village, on the farm of Nathan W. Ward, is another, which has been known to exist many years, but has been only worked since 1852. From 700 to 800 tons have, it is said, been taken from this mine.

On the farm of Hiram B. Keene, a short distance from the county line, and in the same range with the great mines in Rossie, and Gouverneur, there were found about 1837, indications that led to the discovery of a mine, on land not covered by reserve. It was traced into a neighboring field, of which the land holder held the reserve, and heavy mining operations have been since conducted on both sides of the line but most extensively on that owned by Parish. The ore here dips at an angle of about forty five degrees, and is overlaid by a coarse sandstone, that is supported by huge masses of ore, left by the miners. This mine is the only one of iron in this section of the state, that is wrought under the ground by lamps. The portion first discovered, has been lately sold for $3000.

Marble of a coarse texture, but suited for many purposes of architecture, occurs in vast quantities in Antwerp, but no effort has hitherto been made to turn it to a useful account, further than as a material for lime, and a flux for iron ores. Black and variegated Rensselaerite, and Serpentine, of fine quality, occur in town, and may hereafter be brought into use as ornamental marbles. Indications of copper ore have been found, but none in profitable quantities. Potsdam sandstone of a quality suited for the lining of furnaces, has been wrought extensively for this purpose on the farm of Mr. Keene, near the north line of the town. This town has three post offices, viz: Antwerp, Ox Bow, and Bentley’s Corners, the latter being on the Ox Bow and Evans’ Mills Plank Road, four miles from the former place.

The Antwerp Delphic Library was formed March 13, 1832, with Charles B. Hoard, Wm. McAllaster, R. N. Randall, Sam Gains, and Levi Miller, trustees. It has, like most others of the class, been given up, since the formation of school district libraries.

Religious Societies. The first house of worship in town, and the second one in the county, was built of brick, in the village of Antwerp, at the sole expense of Mr. Parish, in 1816-17, and was for many years occupied by different denominations. In March, 1849, it was sold to the Catholics, for $600, and has since been used by them alone. Our statistics of the denominations in town is defective, from failure to receive facts that had been promised. *

*Page 94: PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH ANTWERP. (from the Appendix, p. 570)

The Presbyterian Church of Antwerp was formed in May, 1819, by the Rev. Isaac Clinton, at the hall of the public house kept by Captain Clewly Copeland, consisting at first of eight members. The first ordained elder was Ithamer Tuttle, and the first deacon William Randall. Mr. Clinton preached a third of the time for a year, when he was succeeded by the Rev. Mr. Dearborn, from Vermont. After him, the Rev. Calvin Wait was settled as pastor, and remained until dismissed March 9, 1823; and succeded (sic) by the Rev. James Sandford, one third of the time for a year. In the summer of 1824, the Rev. Charles G. Finney labored a third of the time for three months, during which thirty-eight were added. Deacon William Randall, Dr. Hiram Murdock, and Archibald Whitford, were in this time installed elders. In February, 1825, the church numbered fifty-six adults in communion, and in this year began the labors of the Rev. R. R. Demming, for one year. In 1830, they were supplied by the Rev. J. D. P. _____. In January, 1832, the Rev. Abel L. Crandall began labors as a stated supply and remained three years, in which time fifty-eight were added. In 1835, Rev. Henry Jones, one year, L. A. Wicks succeeded, and staid (sic) five years, during which the church prospered greatly. Several had previously joined the Mormons, and the church numbered 114 when he came. It increased 128; 41 had died, or were cut off, and when he left 201 remained. Rev. H. H. Waite began labors in the fall of 1841; was ordained and installed March 9, 1842, and remained till 1845, when Rev. J. Thompson preached nearly a year. In 1843, 67 were added. In 1847, the Rev. S. Williams, and in May, 1849, Rev. C. B. Pond, the present pastor began his labors. January 29, 1849, the church became Congregational. About 350 have been received, and its present number is about 100. The church edifice, built in 1851, cost $3,600. -- Rev. C. B. Pond.

(resumption of Antwerp text - p. 94) The first Presbyterian Society was formed April 29, 1819, with Silvius Hoard, John C. Foster, Wm. and Samuel Randall, Smith Copeland, and Luther Conklin, trustees. A church had been formed previously, and in June, 1819, had been received into the St. Lawrence Presbytery, on the application of Rev. Ziba Tuttle, their minister. The society was reorganized October 5, 1824, with Hiram Murdock, Benajah and William Randall, Zebina Smith, Jeremy Stimson, and Josiah Drake, Jr., trustees. Among the clergy, here, have been Calvin Wait, Rufus R. Deming, and others. Charles B. Pond is the present pastor. In 1850 the society erected, in the north part of the village, an elegant church edifice, that will compare favorably with any in the county. The Ox Bow Presbyterian Society of Antwerp and Rossie, was formed May 15, 1820, with Abraham Cooper, Abraham Lewis, Reuben Streeter, James Ormiston, James Douglas, Orren Matthews, Percival Hawley, and Abner Benton, trustees. A church was formed the same summer, at first having about 40 members, which soon united with the St. Lawrence Presbytery, then embracing this county. It has since united with that of Ogdensburgh (sic). The Rev. James Sandford was installed Sept. 5, 1820, and has been employed many years. The society have no house of worship. The Methodist Chapel of the first society in Antwerp, was formed Nov. 2, 1832, with Samuel Cook, Isaac Sprague, Wm. Chalor, Daniel and Wm. Shepard, Theodore Cross, George Lum, Asher Seymour, and Daniel Brown, trustees. The Sprague’s Corner Methodist society was formed Jan. 12, 1837, with Elijah Steele, Jr., Abel Goodnough, Isaac Sprague, John Brown, Wm. Howe, Martin Mitchel, and Samuel Kelsey, trustees. They the same year built a chapel, at a cost of about $1,000. A Methodist society was formed at Ox Bow, May 14, 1833, with A. Lewis, Ira D. Shepherd, Wm. H. Collar, Samuel Bonfy, and Ebenezer Birdsley, trustees. The have never erected a church.

A Baptist society was formed February 23, 1836, with David Manning, Obadiah Chamberlain, and Joseph Palmer, trustees, and has a church edifice in Antwerp village. An organization had been formed previously, which, in 1825, united with the Black River Association, and has since regularly reported. The Antwerp and Fowler Union Society (Baptist), was formed Sept. 11, 1838, with Amos Sheldon, Alexander Wright, J. H. Bozworth, Leonard Pike, Ansel Clark, and Moses Burge, trustees, and soon after built a church near the county line, at Steele’s Corners.

A Wesleyan Methodist society was formed Sept. 1, 1845, at Sprague’s Corners, with Allen Woodward, Emor Bell, and Abel Goodnough, trustees. They have a small chapel.

The Associate Reformed Church of Antwerp and Rossie, was formed at the Ox Bow, May 22, 1837, with Andrew Culbertson, John Barrow, Robert Darling, James Dickson, Wm. Turnbull, and Wm. Fleming, trustees. It was reorganized April 7, 1840. This society has a neat church edifice of stone, fronting on the public square in the village of Ox Bow. It is principally composed of Scotch emigrants, many families of whom are settled in this and the adjoining town of Rossie.

*Page 95: ASSOCIATE REFORMED CHURCH, OX BOW. (from the Appendix, p. 571)

The following notice of the Associate Reformed Church of Ox Bow, was received too late for insertion in its proper place:

“The first church in this village was organized under the General Assembly, in the year of our Lord 1820. The membership consisted chiefly of persons from the south of Scotland, who had settled here in 1818-19, and numbered about 40. Their first pastor was the Rev. Mr. Sandford, from the Eastern States, who continued with them until 1830. Mr. Sandford afterwards labored for a time in the east, and again returned to Ox Bow, where he still resides on a small farm of his own, enjoying a calm sun-set on the Bend of the Oswegatchie. For seven years subsequent to 1830, this society was ministered to successively (sic) by the Rev. Messrs. McGregor, Stowell, Nicol, and others. The doctrine and qualifications of several of the unmentioned ones did not by any means meet the religious views and desire of the large majority of the congregation, who accordingly left the Assembly and came under the wing of the Associated Reformed, or United Presbyterian body in 1837. The Rev. Mr. White was the first who labored among them in their new connection; he continued a little over a year. About this time, 1838, the present church edifice was built, at a cost of $2,500. Next came the late Rev. Alexander Proudfit, of Salem, N. Y.; who supplied the greater part of the year. Next came Rev. James Williamson, who remained as stated supply upward of ten years; after him several successive probationers; and, lastly, the present incumbent, Rev. J. S. Cowper, their first settled pastor since they left the General Assembly in 1837, that being previous to the division of that body into old and new schools.

Mr. C. was born in Scotland, and educated in Schenectady, Newburgh and Edinburgh, commenced his labors on the first Sabbath of January, 1852, the membership was then about 100; it is now about 160.

The sum raised last year for missionary purposes amounted to upwards of $220.

There are four Sabbath schools in the bounds of the congregation, with an average attendance of fifty in each; there is also a Bible class.”

 

 

 

Return to Hough Index

Return to Shirley Farone's Homepage