was destined to do the most toward engraving the name of Trousdale on the history of the state. William Trousdale served with Andrew Jackson at Pensacola and New Orleans, was made a brigadier general in the United States Army for gallantry while serving with the 14th Infantry during the Mexican war, was a member of the state senate in 1835 and elected governor of Tennessee in 1849, climaxing his career by serving as United States minister to Brazil for four years. He died at Trousdale Place in 1872.Home Page Previous Page Next Page
His widow, who had been Miss Mary Bugg of Sumner County, continued to live in the house until her death in 1882, when possession of the estate passed to her son, Julius Augustus Trousdale, then a 42-year-old veteran of the Army of the Confederacy who had, two years previously, married Miss Annie Berry of Davidson county.
Julius Trousdale had been born at Trousdale Place, had left it when he enlisted in Bate's Second Tennessee regiment and marched off on May 3, 1861, with 284 other members of the Sumner Legion, to do battle for the Cause. Wounded at Shiloh the next year and rendered unfit for active duty, he had served in the quartermaster's department until the war's end, and then come home to Trousdale Place again, to practice law in Gallatin, to represent his neighbors in the legislature as both representative and senator (he was speaker of the house in 1893), to make an unsuccessful race against Bob Taylor for governor, and to take an active part in the commemorative work of the Daniel S. Donelson bivouac, formed by the veterans of the Sumner Legion.
Four of the five children of Julius and Annie Berry Trousdale died in infancy and the fifth, Mary, was understandably dear to her father's heart. When she died of a fever in August, 1899, shortly after returning from a New York finishing school, it was a blow from which Julius Trousdale did not recover. He died the next month, leaving Trousdale Place to his wife.
Clark Chapter, chartered by the National Daughters of the Confederacy October 29, 1895, less than two weeks before the Atlanta convention at which the name was changed to United Daughters of the Confederacy (and named in honor of the four sons of a widowed Sumner county mother, Mrs. Emma Douglass Clark, three of whom gave their lives for the Confederacy), had been functioning for four years at the time of Julius Trousdale's death. Devoted, according to the chapter history, to making the organization 'a fitting testimonial to the high regard in which the South held the Confederate soldier,' the ladies had made some ambitious plans, which were spread upon the minutes of the meeting held in January, 1900:
'It was the unanimous desire of the chapter to secure a lot sufficiently large to have ornamental grounds, with a Chapter House large enough to seat all members of Donelson Bivouac, Sons of Confederate Veterans, and Daughters of the Confederacy - to have a place beautiful, where all relics, mementos and memorials would be kept sacred, all to be made as ornate and attractive as artistic taste and means at our disposal would permit - to have a place on the grounds where a figure of a Confederate soldier may be placed.'
Thus the Daughters dreamed, but nobody was more surprised than they when, on May 14, 1900, the widowed Mrs. Trousdale deeded Trousdale Place to a 'Library and Historical Society and Monumental Association of Clark Chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy' as a memorial to Julius Trousdale. Mrs. Trousdale prescribed that the association was to use the house and lot to commemorate 'the history of Sumner countians and Sumner county in connection especially with the Confederate army and the War Between the States of 1861`-65, and for the purposes of beautifying and adorning said grounds and premises and erecting monuments or memorials to the memory of Confederate soldiers from Sumner county, or to soldiers from said county in any other war or wars.'…"