(Click here for Google map)
Waterford Rural Cemetery is located in Waterford in the southern part of Saratoga County, New York. Several members of my FERO, STILES, and TRIEBEL families are buried here. My mother and I visited in May of 2002 near the end of our vacation, so I didn't have as much time to explore here as I would have liked. The old section of the cemetery that we visited was in the process of being mowed when we visited (not long after Memorial Day) and was only about half done when we were there.
There is an online listing of many of the burials in this cemetery at http://saratoganygenweb.com/cembeg.htm. This is very helpful, but it is known to have some errors. (LINK UPDATED May 24, 2010)
Clicking a small photo will open a large photo. Clicking a name will open a web page on that individual's family branch.
Waterford Rural Cemetery
- The cemetery sign on the road that runs past the cemetery. It reads as follows:
Gift of Waterford Lions Club
- Wide angle view of the cemetery looking east. (LARGE FILE)
- Closer view, approaching the TRIEBEL family plot.
- . The stones of William and Charlotte Watson and Frank and Ida Stiles.
Waterford Rural Cemetery
This is NOT a complete listing of all the stones in the cemetery, just the ones that I happen to have photographs of. Most of the photos on this page were taken in May of 2002. Not all of the stones were legible and I got information for some of them from the Waterford Cemetery web page .
FERO family plot, May 2002
FERO family plot, seven stones for nine individuals. These are located near the west edge of the cemetery. I am probably related to these people, but I haven't figured out where these individuals may fit on my family tree yet.
- FERO, infant. The Waterford Cemetery website says there is a baby buried in this plot and this would appear to be its gravestone. I can't make out any information in this photo, but the Waterford site gives a death date of February 10, 1922.
- Allison J. and Mary (Way) Fero
- FERO, Allison J., 1850 - (no death date on stone). The Waterford Cemetery website gives a death date of February 9, 1922 at the age of 72 years. IF I have my information right, Allison is a second cousin of my great grandmother, Grace (Fero) Triebel.
- WAY, Mary F., his wife, 1849 - (no death date on stone). The Waterford Cemetery website gives a death date of February 22, 1922.
- Charles and Jannetta (Scott) Fero. "AT REST"
- FERO, Charles C., 1848 - 1916. The Waterford Cemetery website gives a death date of February 10, 1916. IF I have my information right, Charles is a second cousin of my great grandmother, Grace (Fero) Triebel.
- SCOTT, Jannetta B., his wife, 1840 - 1910. The Waterford Cemetery website lists her as "Jeanette S.", who died June 10, 1910.
- FERO, John, died April 2?, 18??. The Waterford Cemetery website gives his death date as April 21, 1889. IF I have my information right, John is a first cousin once removed of my great grandmother, Grace (Fero) Triebel.
- FERO, Sarah M. The Waterford Cemetery website lists her as the wife of John FERO above and gives her death date as November 17, 1868.
- FERO, Sarah A., died June 18, 1888, Æ 34, "Asleep in Jesus". IF I have my information right, Sarah is a second cousin of my great grandmother, Grace (Fero) Triebel.
- FERO, Anna? This is probably Anna Maria FERO, listed on the Waterford page as the second wife of John FERO above. Anna's death date is listed there as March 19, 1883.
- GUTTERSON, Roy, 18?5 - 1907. Birthdate appears to be 1885, but it is difficult to see through the tall grass. This is an enlargement from part of another photo - the stone is located directly in front of the large marble monument for George STILES below. I have no further information on Mr. Gutterson.
- HANFORD, Nelson, son of John and Polly. Enlarged from the foreground of a photo of TRIEBEL plot. Dates not visible in this photo, but the "H" page of the Waterford Cemetery website says he died September 9, 1847. According to their records, also buried in the TRIEBEL plot are two other HANFORD children: Charles (died 1858) and George (died 1856). I believe Charles and George may be listed there incorrectly as they appear to match the dates for the two TRIEBEL sons who died in infancy. Ph(o)ebe (CRANSON) TRIEBEL's father died when she was very young and her mother remarried to John HANFORD. I don't know if that is the same John HANFORD listed on this stone as Nelson's father. There may be more HANFORD family members buried in this plot - will have to set aside some time to check. See also the TRIEBEL family plot near the bottom of this page.
- HYDE, Helen M. Claydon, dates illegible in this photo. I don't believe I am related to this person and have no further information on her.
- KELSO, Susan, no dates visible in this photo. This is a much enlarged detail from the background of one of the overviews above, which I then enhanced the contrast on to try to improve readability, hence the graininess and poor quality. I don't believe I am related to this person and have no further information on her.
I am probably related to the STILES families below, but I haven't yet figured out where these individuals may fit on my family tree.
- STILES monument
- STILES, Frank E., 1861 - 1929
- SPICKERMAN, Ida, 1862 -1924, "his wife"
- STILES monument (eroded and difficult to read in this photo)
- STILES, George H., died, Apr. 23 or 28, 1885, aged 55 or 59 yrs
- SELLECK?, Angenette?, "his wife", died June 17, 1894?, aged 64 yrs
- STILES family plot
- STILES, Horace T., 1822 - 1880
- VINCENT, Charlotte, "his wife", 1826 - 1906
- STILES, William J., 1847 - 1857 (see also his individual stone below)
- STILES, Abbie, 1864 - 1864
- HAWLEY, Abram T., D.D.S., 1848 - 1928
- STILES, Caddie A., 1850 - 1928
STILES, Wil(liam), (son of?) H.T. & C. E. Stiles, Died Jan. 27, 1857, Æ 9 yrs, 8 mos?, 26 days? This appears to be the individual marker for William J. STILES (1847 - 1857) listed on the large family monument above (see also the STILES listings on the "S" page of the Waterford Cemetery website). Quite frankly, this stone confuses me. This is a military marker with a veteran's flag, but it is the grave of a nine year old child. Possibly he was a drummer boy or something?
TRIEBEL plot in autumn of 1998
TRIEBEL plot in May 2002
TRIEBEL family plot. My great great grandfather, Benjamin Triebel, his parents William and Phoebe, and two of his brothers that died in infancy are buried here. Another brother, Frederick, and his wife Bertha CRUMP are also buried somewhere in this cemetery, but they are apparently in another plot and I did not find their graves during this visit. The stones on these graves were replaced, probably sometime in the 1930s. My late Uncle Don was not sure, but believed it was his grandfather (William Frederick Triebel, 1875-1952) who had this done so that the spelling of the family name was corrected from "TRIEBLE" to "TRIEBEL".
Nelson HANFORD is also buried in this plot (see his entry above). Ph(o)ebe (CRANSON) TRIEBEL's father died when she was very young and her mother remarried to John HANFORD.
- TRIEBEL, William, 1817 - 1889.
- TRIEBEL, Phoebe A., his wife, 1827 - 1904
- TRIEBEL, Benjamin F., 1854 - 1929
- TRIEBEL, George, 1856 - 1856
- TRIEBEL, Charles, 1857 - 1858
- VAN DERWERKEN, ALFRADA (1863 - 1907). I found a much clearer photo of this stone on Findagrave.com. This photo is enlarged from the wide angle view of the cemetery above. It appears to be next to or perhaps even in the same plot with John VANDERWERKEN near the bottom of the page.
- VANDERWERKEN, John, died Mar. 2, 1??? This is an enlargement from the wide angle view of the cemetery from the top of the page. I tried to enhance the inscription on the right-hand photo, but not sure it did much good. I don't believe I am related to this person and have no further information on him.
I found a clearer photo of this stone by another photographer on Findagrave.com. Death date is given as March 2, 1888.
- WATSON stone. I don't believe I am related to these people and have no further information on them.
- William H., 186? - ????
- Charlotte, "wife", dates not readable in this photo
Return to Cemetery Photos index
Return to Triebel page
© 2001 and 2002 by Roxy Triebel or the original contributor.
This information may be used by libraries, genealogical societies, and for personal use. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.