I found the above photo of the man with the snowballs at an antique store in Georgetown, Texas. There is no name or location mentioned on the photo anywere, but I liked the picture so much that I just had to have it.
These are photos that I found in antique stores, flea markets, etc. and posted here in hopes that relatives of the people depicted will find them. In many cases, I also scan the writing on the back - perhaps somebody will recognize the handwriting or in some cases, someone with better vision may be able to make out a name that is difficult to read. The photos themselves come from all over the United States. I've even seen some from other countries. Since I don't have unlimited funds, I usually restrict myself to photos with names on them. Locations given for these families are from the address of the photography studio where they were taken unless written on the back or otherwise noted. These are not for sale, but I will be happy to give them to relatives in return for the cost of postage and purchase. I cannot take requests to look for photos of specific families - I just pick up what I can find when I see them.
Someday I will try to get around to organizing these alphabetically, but as hectic as things are around here, it unfortunately won't be anytime soon.
If you are interested in any of these photos: PLEASE REMEMBER to set your spam filter to allow HOTMAIL.COM and/or AOL.COM so that I can respond to your email!
- Un-named photos. I usually don't buy photos without names, but some are just too interesting to walk away from.
- A collection of ASHENDEN family snapshots apparently taken in Massachusetts in the mid-1910s (only one photo has a date - 1914). Other surnames include: BUCKLY, EVENS or EVANS, FOWLER, FRYE, LAWTON, MURRAY, NEWBY. Locations include Wakefield and "Plum Island in Newbery Port", both in Massachusetts.
- Four photos of three members of the COVERT family of Columbus, Indiana.
- Two children of the GREENWOOD family of Corsicana, Texas and Palestine, Texas.
- Three photos of the GRIMM family from Iowa. One has South Dakota written on the back.
- CLAIMED: Two photos of small children of the HONESS family of Ohio. They were found in the same large pile with the KEMP family below .
- CLAIMED: A large collection of KEMP family photos from Ohio. Other names in this group include HOLMES, MARTIN, MOORE, WAIRE, WORK (their Sunday School teacher, probably not a member of this family).
- Two gentlemen of the MACKEY family of Iowa.
- CLAIMED: Two ladies of the PEASLEE family of Georgetown, Texas.
- Three photos of the ROBINSON family from Rockdale, Texas. Also includes the names JONES and MCCALLA.
- CLAIMED: "Real photo" postcards of members of the STEPHENSON family of Holyoke, Colorado. UPDATE: These folks have been claimed! From the information I've been given, this family has apparently either died out or lost interest in these postcards, so they have been sent to the Phillips County Historical Society in Colorado.
- CLAIMED: Four cartes de visite of three members of the THIES family taken in London, England.
- People from Ohio, who were found in the same pile with the KEMP family (see above) and who may or may not be related to them. Surnames in this section include BISHOP, EBY, MINICH, and a girl whose last initial is "K" (for KEMP?).
- CLAIMED: Seven people from the area of Brenham, Texas who were apparently neighbors of a family whose members I don't think I have photos of (most of the photos have notes on the backs identifying these folks as "a neighbor"). Surnames include DICKMAN or DICKMEIER, GINDORF, LUSH, OEFMANN or OLFMANN, ROER, VICKS. A family named FRANKE is mentioned in one of the notes - possibly this is the family that all these people were neighbors of? UPDATE: These folks have been claimed! Someone who knows a relative of Mr. Gindorf recognized the names in this section and these people have gone home to someone who knows them!
- Military photos (so far, three photos from World War I and three photos from World War II, including one of the crew of a B-17 bomber). Surnames include BAKER, BARKER, BUTLER, ESPOSITO, HABERER, HALE or HALL, KRENEK, KUNTASHIAN, LAWLOR, MUNROE, PASS, RICHARDSON, TOWER, WOOLRIDGE.
- Austin Texas postcard show, February 23, 2003. These are "real photo" postcards found at various dealers at a postcard show held February 23, 2003 in Austin, Texas. These are sorted into pages by dealer - the cards are then listed alphabetically by the surname of the subject (as best as I can make it out). It seems to me that relatives and neighbors that may have come from the same estate sale, collection, etc. are more likely to end up together on a page this way.
- Group 1. Surnames include: ANDERSON, BIRMINGHAM, FAWCETT, BARUHART or GARUHART?, GILBERTSON, GOERGEN, HARRINGTON, HOWARD, MARSHALL, MELBY, NELSON, STAFFORD, VOIGT, WILBERDING.
- Group 2 and 3. Surnames include: ADAMS, ALBRIS?, BALL, CARSON, DRESSLER, DOTY, ENNIS, EVERSON, WIGLEY?
- The 54 postcards in group 4 all came from the same dealer. I separated them into three pages to try to cut down on loading time. Some of the cards are group photos with more than one surname. I have also included surnames of addressees in the name lists below.
- Group 4, page 1 (Subject surnames A - D). The list of names on this page is so long because the last card is a class photo. Surnames include: ATWORD or EDWARD?, BARR, BAUMUNK, BELL, BERISCH, BERNSTINE, BETTLEYON, BOWERS, BREDESON, BROWN, BRUSH, BURNEISTER?, CALDWELL, CARMODY, CARNEN, CASWELL, CARBI?, CHARLIER, COMBES, COUNTER, COUSER?, CRAIG, CRAWFORD, DICKERSON, DIMMICK, DONALD, DOYLE, GILLESPIE, HORTON, McCARROLL, QUINN, RIG??Y, RILEY, SMITH, VAN BUREN, WESTFALL.
- Group 4, page 2 (Subject surnames F - P). Surnames include: BAILEY, BROWN, FROST, GILLILAND, GRILLBIRTZER?, HANSCOM, HASKELL, HAWKINS, HEURING, IRWIN, JONES, KENDALL, KIPPLEY, KLEIN, KNIGHT, KONOSKISKI, KOSTSÓS?, LITSINGER, MAARE, MARTIN, McCLINTOC, MEAD, MILLER, MOOR, MYERS, PARROT, PURCELL, ROBINSON.
- Group 4, page 3 (Subject surnames N - Z). Surnames include: BOWEN, CENLER?, CHAMBERS, DEVROYE, HUMPHREY, NAIR, OMMEN, PEPPER, ROSENBERRY, SANFORD, SH??N?N, STANCIL or STUNCIL, STRICHLER or STRICKLER, THOMPSON, TICE, TODD, TURNER, WARD, WILLIS, WRIGHT, ZARING, ZUILLEN
- Citywide Garage Sale, Austin, Texas, March 15, 2003. Surnames include: FREDERICK or FRIEDERICH, HUNT, M??HLHAU?E, NAWARA.
- Five rather faded cabinet cards from the midwestern United States (Indiana, Kansas, Ohio, Wisconsin). Surnames include: CREEK???ER, EMERSON, HASELTINE, LO??, SHARP.
- Additional miscellaneous individuals. These are added in date order as I buy them at various shops and shows, not alphabetical order. So far, this section includes:
- Page 1: BAKER, BALCLE?, BARRI, CRAIN?, EDWARDS, IRVIN, JOHNSON, PEALE, RINGLER, ROCKWOOD, SMITH, SOUTHER, STRONG, WALDROPE.
- Page 2: BAARTZ, FUESSEL, GALLER, GRASS, LIND?, MORGAN, PETERSON, SCHIER, STAUFFER, SLIFER?
- Page 3: Eleven photographs found an an Austin, Texas antique store in July, 2003. Surnames include BURNSIDE, COLEMAN, DARROW, DIFFNER or DEFFNER (may be a middle name), HOBBS, LEACHMAN, MAYER, RIDER or RYDER, SCHÖNLIBER?, SMITH, STARKS, STURGISS.
- Page 4: A photo of the 1922 Christmas Party of Columbia University's School of Architecture. Surnames include: BARRETT, BATES, BUCK, BUMPER, CHAPMAN, CLEMENT, DEAN or DEAM, DICK, DUMPER, DYKE, HAINES, HAMLIN, HILLS, LACEY, MARSHALL, MEAD, MILLER, MOORE, PLATT, POLLAK, PRENTICE, SAXE, SHAW, SIMMS, TICHNOR, TIMOTHEEF or TIMOTHEFF, VAN DER SMISSEN, WALDERIE, WALTHER, WILSON, YOUNG
I recently moved and am still getting unpacked. Also, these photos are beginning to take up quite a bit of space. Rather than abuse Rootsweb's generosity in providing all this nice free web space, I am currently trying to find time to look around for an inexpensive host for these folks. In the meantime, I will post names and descriptions of additional photos here as I am able to find time.
Go to Unscanned Photos
© 2001, 2002, 2003 by Roxy Triebel or the original contributor.
This information may be used by libraries, genealogical societies, and for personal use. Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. If copied, this copyright notice must appear with the information.