|Townships Prior to 1806
||Indiana County was formed in 1803
from parts of Westmoreland and Lycoming Counties.
Wheatfield Township was originally included all that part of Westmoreland County north of the Conemaugh River. The first assesment was noted in 1779.
Armstrong was formed from Wheatfield in 1803.
Conemaugh from Armstrong in 1807.
Black Lick from Armstrong in 1807.
Mahoning was formed from that part of the county taken from Lycoming in 1803 and 1807.
Washington from Armstrong.
Center from Armstrong in 1807.
||Green from Wheatfield in 1816.
Town of Indiana in Washington.
||Young from Black Lick and Conemaugh in 1830.
Montgomery from Mahoning in 1834.
Brush Valley from Wheatfield in 1835.
Saltsburg in 1838.
Blairsville in 1825.
Armagh in 1834.
||White in 1843, and was made to include all the
land within a 3 mile radius of the borough of Indiana.
Rayne from Washington and Green in 1845.
East Mahoning, West Mahoning, South Mahoning and North Mahoning from Mahoning in 1846.
Canoe from Montgomery in 1847. It was named for Canoe Creek, involved in early canoe navigation limits. Settles about 1827, its pioneer residents included Daniel Brewer, George Saltsgiver, John White, Samuel States, David Simpson, John Tozier, Robert Roberts, and the Clawson, Hendricks, Brady and Leasure families.