Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

 

 

WOODWARD CO.,

Oklahoma,

United States

INTRODUCTION

GEN TOOL-KIT

SURNAMES

ANCESTRAL GENSITE(S)

LIST OF LOCALITIES

WEBSITE RESOURCES

IMAGE GALLERY

CONTACT INFORMATION

 

Introduction

 

      Woodward County was formed in 1893 from the Cherokee Outlet. It was originally "N" County. On 6 Nov 1894 the new citizens voted to change the name to Woodward and to establish the town of Woodward as the county seat, named from a station on the Santa Fe railway, and it in turn, for a director of the Railway Company, B. W. Woodward.

     On Statehood Day, 16 Nov 1907, Woodward County was partitioned into present day Woodward, Harper, western part of Woods, and the northern part of Ellis Counties.
     Fort Supply was the first landmark in Woodward County, built on lands granted by treaty to the Cherokee Indians. One of the cattle Trails "
The Great Western Trail" crossed Woodward County.    

     The total land area of Woodward County is 1,252 square miles. In 1900, the population of Woodward County was 7,469, (6.0 persons per square mile) personal property valued at $1,546,863 and real estate valued at $1,463,539. By 1907, the population had almost doubled to 14,595 (11.8 persons per square mile). In 1980 the population had grown to 21,172 (16.9 persons per square mile), with 13,610 living in the town of Woodward.

      Birth and death records are on file since 1908. Marriage records exist from 1897 to the present. Land and court records are on file since 1894, while probate records exist since 1900.

Woodward County, Oklahoma

Gen Tool-Kit

COUNTY RECORDS  :

Woodward County Clerk's Office has Birth Records and Death Records from 1908, Land Records from 1894, Probate Records from 1900, Marriage Records from 1897, and Court Records from 1894.  Source: Family History 101 States

 

HISTORICAL SOCIETY:

Northwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society (NWOGS)
P.O. Box 834, Woodward, OK 73801, 580-254-8544

 

Northwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society - NWOGS

COUNTY LIBRARY :

Address: 1500 Main St. Woodward, OK 73801-3053, USA

Phone: 405-254-8544;  Connect to: Library Web Site  

Woodward Public Library is a Public library. This library is the central facility for the library system that serves Woodward, OK. The collection of the library contains 38964 volumes. The library circulates 73903 items per year. The library serves a population of 11796 residents. Source: lib-web-cats: Search for Libraries

OTHER:

Historic Places in Woodward County:

Alabaster Caverns State Park;   Boiling Springs State Park;   Camp Supply;   CCC Company 2822; 

Crossing Ft. Supply - Ft. Reno Military Road;   

Fort Supply Historic Site;   Fort Supply Lake;

Plains Indians & Pioneers Museum;   Woodward Arts Theatre

Source: BlogOklahoma.us - Historic Places Database

Woodward County,

Oklahoma

Surnames

 

The following are surnames of persons, found within our databases,

as having been either born, married or died in this location.

McVicker; Moreland; Pinnell; Scruggs and allied families

Collins;   Loyd;   Moreland;   Pinnell;   Thomason

Bozarth; Peiffer; Quigley; Rhubart and allied families

 

Dellinger; Knecht; Pfeffer; Silar and allied families

 

To find out more about each surname listed above click on the corresponding LINK.

Additional information regarding these surnames may also be found at:

  Surname Locator Resources

Woodward County, Oklahoma

Ancestral GenSite(s)

 

Judkins Township

Rest Haven (Tangier) Cemetery

Tangier

JUDKINS TOWNSHIP

1895 map of Woodward County showing

 location of Judkins Township

LOCATION OF IDENTIFIED SITE

South western quarter of Woodward County

DIRECTIONS TO IDENTIFIED SITE(s)

 

INTERNET WEB LINK(s)

Chronicles of Oklahoma

FAMILY HISTORY NOTES(s)

Pearl, daughter of Jeremiah and Mary Etta Moreland, married W.A. Thomason about 1898.  She had two children. Her first child Mary Ruth was probably born in Judkins Township March, 1899.  The Thomasom family is listed in the 1900 Federal census as living at this location. Pearl’s second child, a son, Wesley was born 31 August 1909 Pearl dies soon after on 7 October 1909 probably as a result of the birth.

JUDKINS TOWNSHIP

That part of the Cherokee Outlet lying west of Range 16 was designated as County "N" at the time of the opening in 1889.  It was named Woodward County in 1894 and remained undivided until statehood.     Soon after the appointment of the first board of county commissioners the county was divided into four townships for election and assessment purposes. The northwest township was called Marum, the northeast O'Bryan, the southeast Webster, and the southwest Judkins.  The town of Shattuck was the principal populated place within the township at the turn of the century.  In the 1900 Federal

 

census Judkins is comprised of two Enumeration District.  The part of Judkins township in District 244 where the Thomason family is listed is described as lying east of the Range Line between Ranges 23 and 24.  This area appears to lay near or just west of town of Tangier.  The other district 245 lay West of Range Line between Ranges 23 and 24.  Judkins Township does not appear to be a district in the 1910 census. It appears that most of the households of 1900 Judkins are found in 1910 Woodward Township. 

REST HAVEN (Tangier) CEMETERY

LOCATION OF IDENTIFIED SITE(s)

Section 27, T 23 N, R. 22 W, Woodward County, Oklahoma.  N 36 degrees, 26.097 minutes: W 99 degrees, 32.320 minutes

DIRECTIONS TO IDENTIFIED SITE(s)

From Woodward take OK Route 15 west towards Tangier.  At the airport turn left at Road E0410 and go into Tangier then turn right onto Road N1950, turn left onto Road E0400 the cemetery will be on the right. See map at our “Image Gallery”

INTERNET WEB LINK(s)

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ok/county/woodward/tangier.txt

FAMILY HISTORY NOTES(s)

Look for graves of Jeremiah E. Moreland and Pearl(Moreland)Thomason, her son L.Wesley Thomason.

 

The Tangier Cemetery was first started in the 1800's when a covered wagon was traveling by and had a child die.  They buried the child in what was later to become the Tangier Cemetery.  On the 19th of September, 1924, Si and Fern

 

 

Myers gave an acre of land to the Cemetery Association.  Around the year of 1940 the cemetery was renamed to be Resthaven Cemetery. It is called by both names by the people of the community.

TANGIER

Satellite View of Tangier, Woodward County, Oklahoma

LOCATION OF IDENTIFIED SITE(s)

Longitude: 99° 32' 0" West; Latitude: 36° 25' 15" North

DIRECTIONS TO IDENTIFIED SITE(s)

West of Woodward in Tangier Township. From Woodward take Oklahoma Street (OK route 15).

INTERNET WEB LINK(s)

 

FAMILY HISTORY NOTES(s)

     Jeremiah E. Moreland moved to Tangier around 1896.  At this time his family included wife Mary Etta (Pinnell); daughters Pearl Lucy May; and sons Ira C.; Guy H.  John E. and Jeremiah F. Moreland.  Lucy May died here on May 4, 1900.  Jeremiah who made his living raising cattle died in 1901, at age 43, and is buried in the Tangier/Resthaven Cemetery in Woodward County, Oklahoma.

     Jeremiah’s widow, Mary Etta, married Edwin T. Loyd  at the Tangier Methodist Church on 29 November 1905.  Around 1906 Ira, Guy and John Earl having grown to young men left the Tangier and moved eventually moved on to California.   Mary and son Jeremiah F. Moreland left Woodward County around 1915.

 

TANGIER

Tangier, named for a seaport in northwest Africa,  is 7 miles west of Woodward in Woodward County, Oklahoma. This small populated place is located on scrub lands along the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad. A Post Office operated here from 18 May 1901 to 31 Aug 1941.   The elevation is 2,188 feet.  It is in the Central time zone.

 

Woodward County,

Oklahoma

 

List of Localities

 

The red star in the map at the left designates the

location of the seat of government for this county.

Source: MapQuest

 

The list below will assist in your research regarding the matching of your ancestors birth, marriage, death dates and in what locality of this county these events may have occurred.  Source:  Wikipedia

 

Curtis;   Fort Supply;   Mooreland;   Mutual;    Quinlan;   Sharon;   Tangier;   Woodward

 

Woodward County,

Oklahoma

Website Resources

The following are links to websites that will provide you with specific genealogical information to assist with your research for this county. 

General Resource Sites

 

Use the following LINKS to find more information that may pertain to this location.

·        Website & Webpages We Like

·        Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·        Free Genealogy Search Help For Google

·        Linkpendium > Genealogy > USA

 

·        Genealogy Forum: U.S. States

·        Family Search, IGI Batches, Localities

·        Genealogy.com: Resources by county

·        Rootsweb.com - Localities

 

Woodward County,

Oklahoma

Image Gallery

 

During our research we have collected images and photographs that are of general interest to a variety of localities.  Some of them are presented on this website because we believe they tend to provide the reader with additional information which may aid in the understanding of our ancestors past lives.

Independence Day Parade, Main Street, Woodward, Oklahoma, circa 1911

 

If you have any photographs or other images relating to this ancestral

 location we would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Use the following LINK to ascertain whether we have any images that pertain to this location.

ANCESTRAL LOCATION PHOTOGRAPHS and IMAGES

 

Contact Information

 

Email

Pony Express:

Tom
27 Christopher Dr.
Burton, NB E2V3H4
Canada

Email

Snail mail:

Fred
889 Dante Ct.
Mantua, NJ 08051

USA