Search billions of records on


Previous Page

Table of Contents

Next Page

10 April 2006 - Monday

     Tom awoke early and headed into the house to shower while Fred stayed in for a few more winks.  Knowing the Tom was one to enjoy a long shower Fred wasn’t surprised when he didn’t return shortly, but as time went by it was time to get up to investigate.  He found Tom and Helen at the computer where he was demonstrating features of her Family Tree Maker program.  Soon Don and Linda arrived and we were out the door heading for the IHOP.  Poor Tom never did get a chance to shower that morning!  Our breakfast was memorable because of Helen’s stories of how her father received a crippling gun shot wound during a Sheriff’s raid of an illegal poker game, and how her mother fed and kept the family together during those desperate days during the 1930’s Depression by making bootleg beer. Departing with this delightful family was difficult for us.  With hugs all around we christened Helen as our “Texas Mom”, and Don as our “Texas Brother”.  After we got into the van we set to figuring out how to get out of town.  We knew that we wanted to go west on U.S. 82 but weren’t sure how to get there.  Sure enough there was Don still keeping an eye on those two boys from out East.  He told us to follow him up to U.S. 82, which we did.  We departed Sherman, Texas with friendly waves from both vehicles as we headed west to more adventures in western Oklahoma. 

     At Wichita Falls we got on U.S. Highway 287 west where we turned onto U.S. 187 and began our drive north into Oklahoma.  At about 3:00 pm we arrived in Woodward County, Oklahoma.  The van now had well over 3,000 miles on the odometer and was ready for it’s first oil change.  On the way into city of Woodward we stopped at the Ford dealer to inquire about getting it done.  Fred scheduled an appointment for the next morning and also inquired about a good place to eat.  Our plan was to camp that night at Boiling Springs State Park located just 6 miles north east of town.  Upon our arrival we were able to find a nicely sheltered campsite out of the constant wind.  After paying the $15.00 fee at the camp office, we returned to Woodward.  As the restaurant recommended to us would not open until 5:00 pm we went looking for the Rest Haven Cemetery where our great-grandfather Jeremiah

E. Moreland was buried in 1901.  Eventually we found it located about 9 miles west of Woodward near the town of Tangier. Both of us anticipated this event in our journey as we had visualized standing out on the wind swept prairie at the site where our ancestor was laid to rest.  We did not realize though how ferocious the wind really could be.  Not only was it quite bothersome to us we also noticed that several stones including Jeremiah’s had been literally blown over by the constant turbulence.  We quickly took photos of the weathered stone’s that designated the final resting place of our Jeremiah, his adopted daughter Pearl Moreland Thomason and her son Wesley and gladly retreated to the comfort of the van.

Rest Haven Cemetery, Tangier, Woodward Co., OK

Headstone of our great-grandfather

Jeremiah E. Moreland,



Following this we drove back into town and had ourselves a really fine steak dinner with all the trimmings.  Upon returning to the campground Fred phoned his wife Lynn as it was their wedding anniversary.  Tom also took the opportunity to contact his wife Stacey.  By 9:00 pm we were ready to turn in for the night. The wind had died down, the air was sweet and cool and the temperature was perfect for getting a good sound sleep. It was not to be, as it seemed that every hour a train would go through Woodward blaring horns at each crossing.  We rated this campground at about a “3” while taking the train noise into consideration. 

Top of Page