William LEDFORD (ca. 1702- 1796) lived in Augusta Co., VA in the mid 1700's. About 1758 William, his brother John, and their families moved from Augusta Co., VA to Rowan Co.,NC. William Ledford is buried in Abbotts Creek Baptist Church Cemetery, Davidson County, along with his wife Elizabeth (d. 12 Oct 1803?).
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM AND ELIZABETH LEDFORD
1. SARAH 'SALLY' LEDFORD b. 1747. m. (1) Samuel Spurgin, m. (2) Jacob Spoolman. Sarah died 1829 in Washington Co., IN.
2. PHEBE LEDFORD (ca. 1748- 1828) m.1st William Simmons II, b. 1764/5, Rowan Co., NC. Married 2nd Benjamin Logan (b. ca 1790) on Feb. 12, 1818, in Rutherford Co., NC.
3. JOHN LEDFORD (Feb. 20, 1751- Feb. 27, 1826) m. Grizella Buis, the daughter of William and Rebecca Buis.
4. LYDIA LEDFORD m.1st 20 May (1772?), in Guilford Co., NC, George Towry, d. ca 1794, Randolph Co, NC. m.2nd ca. 1795, John Robins. Marriage bond shows her name as Lide.
5. MARTHA LEDFORD (April 15, 1754- Sept. 9, 1828) m. John Teague.
6. SQUIRE LEDFORD b. ca 1756, m. Ann Buis, the daughter of William and Rebecca Buis.
7. THOMAS LEDFORD b. ca 1760, m. Rebecca Crowder on 18 Aug 1812..
8. ANN "NANCY" LEDFORD (Jan. 6, 1756- April 5, 1850) m. Samuel Davis on Oct. 1779, in Rowan Co., NC. Ann is buried in Friedland Moravian Cem.,Winston-Salem,NC.
9. WILLIAM LEDFORD (Aug. 20, 1762- July 17, 1842) m. Jean Hasley on 15 Sep 1789, in Lincoln Co., NC. William is buried in Midway United Meth. Ch Cem, Davidson Co,NC.
10. REBECCA LEDFORD b. ca 1763. m. Nathan Hinkle.
11. ELIZABETH LEDFORD (ca. 1765- Aug. 14, 1853) m. William McCurry ca. 1788. Elizabeth is buried in McCurry Cem., Golden Valley, Rutherford Co.,NC.
John Ledford, the son of William and Elizabeth
Ledford, was probably born in Augusta County, VA. About 1759 he moved with
his parents to Rowan County, NC. About 1778 he married Grizella Buis, the
daughter of William and Rebecca Buis. Although he lived in Stokes Co.,
NC for many years, John Ledford is buried at Abbotts Creek Baptist Church,
Davidson Co., where he was a member.
CHILDREN OF JOHN AND GRIZELLA LEDFORD included Susannah, John Jr., Grizella, William, Buis, Spruce, Phebe, Martha, Rebecca, Betsy, and Nancy (Nov. 30, 1781- Aug. 24, 1863), who married Thomas Lloyd.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids