Map Ref. SD 931223
the only remaining buildings of the once large mill
No building on site on Walsden map
LACY David and John
1864 - 1883
LORD James Henry
Inchfield Bottom Brass Band
Disused on 25” OS map
nothing is known about this small cotton mill in its early days,
except the Lacy family of Callis Mill in Charlestown owned it, and
it was often referred to as Lacy Mill. The mill was certainly operating
in 1850 as, on 2nd October of that year, a girl from Walsden recorded
in her diary: "Samuel, the son of James Dawson of Bottomley,
had some of his fingers taken off at Travis Holme Factory."
Clough in Walsden where the mill is located, the canal, river, road
and railway run virtually parallel to each other. Travis Holme Mill
is situated between the canal and river, whilst Clough Mill is opposite
to it, on the other side of the road and railway.
the road, it is necessary to cross the narrow river to gain
access, and for this purpose, a stone bridge was built to
carry the traffic across. This remains the only access today
Lacy, born in 1816, began his working life in the employ of the
Fielden brothers of Waterside Mill, rising to become a favoured
manager. He lived with his wife Jane and their children at Bankfield
Buildings in Todmorden, which is a terrace of three substantial
houses erected specifically to accommodate managers employed by
John and his family are there
in 1851, although by then he had left his employment and was
a master cotton spinner, employing 51 men and 13 women. John
and his brothers, Thomas, Gilbert and David, occupied the
large mill at Charlestown known as Callis Mill in addition
to the much smaller Travis Holme Mill in Walsden. John and David were partners at Travis Holme until 1874 when the partnership was dissolved and John became the sole owner and occupier.
Lacy family was always associated with Langfield, and in particular,
with Stoodley. However, they lived variously at Stoodley Hall, Underbank
Hall and Lacy House - the latter two situated in Charlestown.
1875, John was the last surviving brother and his own health
was declining. For this reason, he consented to sell the property
known as Travis Holme Mill despite it being a prosperous business.
Various local cotton manufacturers and other gentlemen formed
a new company with the intention of buying the business. The
company was named The Travis Holme Cotton Spinning Company
April 17th. 1875, the following advertisement appeared in the Halifax
Guardian: (Extracted and submitted by Alan Longbottom)
for the Travis Holme
Spinning Company Limited
List will be closed on Monday April 26th .
Travis Holme Cotton Spinning Company Limited, Walsden near Todmorden
to be incorporated under the Joint Stock Companies Acts, 1862 and
1867. Capital £20,000 in 4,000 shares of £5 each. Present
Issue of 3,000 shares of which 2,000 only are offered to the Public.
Payable 5s per share on Application; 5s per share on Allotment,
and future calls not to exceed 10s per Share at intervals of not
less than one month.
Lacy, Esq., Cotton Spinner, Underbank Hall near Todmorden.
Whittaker, Esq., Cotton Spinner, Langfield House, Todmorden.
Barker, Esq. Engineer etc. Millwood, Todmorden.
Lacy, Esq., Underbank Hall near Todmorden.
Fielding, Esq., Cotton Spinner, Eastwood, near Todmorden.
Firth, Esq., Cotton Spinner, Bank View, Blackburn.
Stephenson, Esq., Manufacturer - Shade near Todmorden.
Witham, Esq., Castle gardens, Todmorden.
Baume, Esq., Gauxholme Place, Todmorden.
Booth, Esq., Timber Merchant, Walsden near Todmorden.
Heap, Esq., Travis Holme Mill, Walsden near Todmorden.
- The Manchester and Liverpool District Bank, Todmorden and Branches.
Manchester and County Bank Limited, Blackburn and Branches.
- Mr. John E. Craven of Todmorden.
- Messrs. F. Hunter, Gregory, Nuttall and Co. Bacup
pro-Tem - Mr. J. W. Heap, cashier at the Mill.
Registered Office will be at Travis Holme Mill, Walsden, near Todmorden.
company is being formed for the purpose of acquiring by purchase
and working the well-known Throstle Twist (Cotton) Spinning, Winding,
Warping, and Reeling Works called Travis Holme Mill, situate at
Walsden, near Todmorden, with the whole of the Valuable machinery,
Plant, as 23 excellently built cottages, with the foundations for
more, all belonging to Mr. John Lacy, Underbank Hall, near Todmorden,
whose declining health is his only reason for consenting to the
disposal of the property. The mill is in work, and will be handed
over to the Company as a going concern, no stoppage being necessary
beyond the time required (if any) for taking Stock.
vendor and his friends evince their own confidence in the prosperity
of the business under the Company's management, by subscribing for
1,600 Shares, being one third of the present issue, and he (the
Vendor) will also allow £5,000 to remain on Mortgage security,
at the rate of 5 per cent, per annum, thus assisting to increase
the Dividends on the amount called up.
Agreement for the purchase of the concern, bearing date the 16th. day of March 1875,
made between Mr. John Lacy, of the one part, and Mr. Joseph Baume,
of Todmorden, on behalf of the Company, of the other part, together
with the proposed memorandum and Articles of Association, can be
seen at the Offices of the Solicitor of the Company.
and Forms of Application for Shares may be had from the Bankers
of the Company, and their Branches, and also from Mr. John E. Craven,
solicitor of Todmorden, Messrs F. Hunter, Gregory, Nuttall and Co,
Accountants of Bacup; Mr. John Barker, Yarn Agent of Todmorden,
the Directors and Secretary at the Mill.
extraordinary success of such undertakings in Oldham, Rochdale and
other places, as shown in the enclosed list, makes it very desirable
that the inhabitants of this district, and the workers in the mills,
should participate in these advantages.
accordance with instructions we have made a very careful valuation
of the Travis Holme Mill, Buildings, Land, Cottages, Fixed and Loose
Machinery, Plant, Water Rights, and other Privileges, the property
of John Lacy, Esquire, situate at Walsden, near Todmorden.
land is freehold and comprises two plots. The one containing 7,596
square yards or thereabouts, is bounded lengthwise by the Todmorden
and Rochdale Turnpike Road, and on the opposite side by the Banks
of the Rochdale Canal. Upon this site are built the Mill, Boiler
House, Blowing and Mixing Rooms, waste Store Rooms, Stable, Warehouse,
office, Store Room, and 15 Cottages (11 recently built), also foundations
for 12 more.
is an area of unbuilt land leaving room for increasing the Mill
and Cottages to double or treble their present extent. This plot
is subject to a ground rent of one penny-halfpenny per yard, or
£40 per annum, the original rent paid by Mr. Lacy.
other plot upon the opposite side of the road and railway,
contains 337 square yards or thereabouts, and has eight excellent
stone built Cottages upon it, making on both plots 23 Cottages,
which bring in a yearly rental of £188-9s-0d, which
is free of all rates and taxes, except property tax.
only access route under the railway to the 8 cottages on the
opposite side of the road
Mill, (part of which has been lately erected) together with the
Boiler House, Blowing and Mixing Rooms, Waste Store Rooms and Stable,
are very substantially built of stone; the Warehouse, Economiser
House, Office and Store Room of brick; all of which appear to be
well arranged for the saving of labour. A large steam-power Hoist
is erected outside the Mill connecting the four stories together.
is a convenient Mechanics' Shop and Smithy attached, The steam and
driving power consists of two two-flued Steam Boilers, 31ft by 7ft
6ins, well fit up in every respect, and in good condition, as we
gather from the Boiler Insurance Company's Report.
pair of Beam Steam Engines, 30 nominal horsepower each, one just
new, with wrought iron connecting rod and steel crank. These are
also well reported upon and insures by the Boiler Insurance Co.
The Gearing is good and well arranged for all driving purposes.
There is also a green's Economiser, nearly new.
Machinery consists of 18 Throstle Frames, containing 9,948 Spindles
(with space for 2,000 to 3,000 more and preparation) One Opener
by Taylor, Lang and Co, with Lap Machine: One three beater Doubler,
by Lord Brothers, with patent feeder: One single Beater Finisher
by Lord Brothers, with patent feeder: One single Beater Finisher
by Mason, with Lord Brothers patent feeder: 25 48 inch Carding Engines;
15 Heads of Drawing Frames with 48 Deliveries; Four Slubbing Frames,
containing 270 Spindles; long collars; 11 Roving Frames, containing
1,280 Spindles (two just erected with Mills's Improvements by Howard
and Bullough) ; three Winding Machines, containing 900 Spindles;
Four Circular Warping (newest by power); Six Reeling Mills : One
Beam Warping Mill, with expanding Comb; Two Card Grinding Machines;
Roller Singeing Machine; Three large Platform Scales, by Pooley;
Two Large Beam Scales; One Cart Weighing Machine;
Mechanics' and Blacksmiths' Shops contain: - Smiths' Hearth, Bellows,
Anvil, Lathes, Upright Drill (just new), Grindstone, and other necessary
premises are well supplied with water for driving, domestic, and
fire purposes. There are plugs or taps in the yard and on each landing
of staircase, with a large quantity of new hose and fittings, and
water pressure sufficient to carry over the Mill with ease.
whole of the above Land, Mill, Cottages, Machinery, Water and other
Rights, we value at £14,302-2s-10d. (Fourteen Thousand, Three
Hundred and Two Pounds, Two Shillings and Ten-pence), which we consider
a very fair and reasonable price, no good will having been recognised.
- Wm. Salisbury & Hamer of Blackburn and J. Byrom Bamford, Surveyor
and Valuer of Rochdale and Todmorden.
15th. March 1875
mill may well have continued to prosper, but I have no further information. It seems the
Travis Holme Cotton Spinning Company Limited never got off the ground. John Lacy was clearly in poor health at the time of the above proposed sale,
but continued to plod on until 1883 when he died at Underbank Hall.
He is buried with his wife and children at St. Mary's church in
1893, part of the mill was a joinery workshop occupied by James
He was a son of James Lord
and Rebecca Crossley, who between them ran the shop on the
corner of Rochdale Road and St. Peters Gate in Walsden. Initially,
the shop sold books and newspapers, but became the Post Office
when James senior was appointed as Postmaster. James Henry,
born in 1858, appears to have lived there all his life. The
building is still Walsden Post Office today.
married Mary Ellen and after a spell working as a book-keeper in
a cotton mill, he turned to carpentry. He worked for himself, using
part of Travis Holme Mill as his workshop. He is known to have been
there between 1893 and 1895.
enough, a joinery firm continues to occupy the premises today.
The photograph shows the only remaining part of the mill,
with the workshop bridging over the narrow river and occupied
by Setdale Joinery.
the site of the mill to the left of the canal tow path
main body of the mill, the chimney, boiler house, smithy and
all the associated cottages are long gone. The site is landscaped
and contains a row of bungalows, built originally as emergency
housing after the Second World War, and is known as Lacy Avenue.
The "eight excellent stone-built
cottages" across the road and under the railway bridge are
also long gone, replaced by three newer and more substantial
houses, possibly built using the stone from the original cottages.
researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade
Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group
Abraham Lacy, cotton spinners and manufacturers
Halifax Guardian 11th March 1848
Messrs. Lacy’s mill, a new concern, commenced Monday last
John Lacy, Bank Buildings, master cotton spinner employing 51 men and 13 females.
David Lacy, Knowlwood Mill, cotton spinner
David and John Lacy, cotton spinners and manufacturers
Walsden rates Book 1860-65
Owners and occupiers D. and J. Lacy; mill etc; Travis; rateable value £160.14s.3d.
1860 – 1016 mule spindles, 2hp
The Preston Guardian, Saturday, June 11, 1864
D. and J. Lacy, Walsden near Todmorden, cotton spinners.
Walsden Rates Book 1866-81
Owned and occupied by John Lacy; mill etc; Travis; rateable value £129.16s.0d.
1869 – hoist etc. £1.17s.0d.
1873 – new mill office etc. £33.15s.0d.
1879-81 – part empty
1880 – rateable value £240.5s.0d.
1881 – rateable value £203.15s.0d.
John Lacy, Travis Holme Mill, cotton spinners and manufacturers
Jonathan Lacy, Travis Holme Mill, cotton spinners and manufactuers.
Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 1st Aug 1879
Travis Holme Mill, 7600 spindles, closed
Walsden Rates Book 1883
Permanently unoccupied, owner John Lacy; mill and power, Travis Holme
Walsden Rates Book 1893
Occupier James Henry Lord; owners executors of John Lacy; joiners shop; Travis Holme Mill; rateable value £3.10s.0d.
Walsden Rates Book 1895
Occupiers Inchfield Bottom Brass Band; owners executors of John Lacy; band room, Travis Holme; rateable value £2.15s.0d.
Unoccupied joiners shop, owner executors of John Lacy; Travis Holme; rateable value £3.10s.0d.