Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
HOME
BAPTISMS
MARRIAGES
BURIALS
MI's
CENSUS
CHURCHES
PARISH RELIEF
PLACES
PEOPLE
MILLS & MINES
HISTORY
MAPS
PHOTO GALLERY
LINKS

 

SPRINGSIDE WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL

 

photo by kind permission of Frank Woolrych

The church was formed first by a group who met at Rodwell End, Stansfield, after having purchased the Baptist Chapel there in 1808. The congregation moved down to the valley in 1873 to build a brand new chapel at Springside. The foundation stone was laid 26th July 1873 and the chapel opened its doors on 15th. October 1874. The chapel was designed by Mr. Waddington in the Lombardic style and cost in excess of £3000.
   

The last service took place on 12th december 1954, although the church records continued until 1959, after which the building was demolished. The stained glass window was removed and given to Mankinholes Chapel, later ending up at Lumbutts Chapel.

The site is now a derelict piece of land, fenced off from the public, and full of wild life and trees.

   

The West Yorkshire Archives at Halifax have the marriage registers from

1899 to 1949, plus for 1954

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/index.htm

There is no burial ground

 

BACK TO TOP

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"