SOUTH GRAIN COLLIERY
Bacup Road (Dulesgate)
Map Ref. SD 894 239
the remains of the surface coal at
Southgrain are still visible in 2004
See also COAL MINES IN TODMORDEN AND WALSDEN
Named on OS 6” map
Disused on OS 25” map
From 1926 to after 1938
TEMPERLEY F. AND J. Ltd.
This coal pit has also been known as Tunnel End Coal Pit and Kidnapper Coal Pit. The last name for it was Howard’s pit. It was located next to one of Temperley's three brick and clay works and when coal production ceased Temperleys took it over.
Joseph Dickinson's List of Mines 1854
South Grain, Todmorden, James Dearden.
In 1896, the colliery employed 12 underground workers and 2 on the surface. It mined household and manufacturing coal. J. G. Dearden, The Manor House, The Orchard, Rochdale was the owner and the manager was Robert Kershaw.
The mine was situated behind the BAY HORSE pub, high up the hillside. It was described as a "mountain" mine.
1938 list of mines
F. & J. Temperley Ltd., Bacup Rd., Todmorden, South Grain colliery
researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade
Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group
Todmorden Rates Book 1860-1890
Owned and occupied by James Dearden; colliery etc; South Grain; rateable value £144
1866 – rateable value £155.10s.0d.
1873 – additions to colliery rateable value £119
1881 – rateable value £123.15s.0d.
1886 – rateable value £76.