Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
HOME
BAPTISMS
MARRIAGES
BURIALS
MI's
CENSUS
CHURCHES
PARISH RELIEF
PLACES
PEOPLE
MILLS & MINES
HISTORY
MAPS
PHOTO GALLERY
LINKS

 

SAUNDERS CLOUGH COLLIERY

Bacup Road (Dulesgate)

Todmorden

 

See also COAL MINES IN TODMORDEN AND WALSDEN

 

Known occupiers

1860-1890

DEARDEN James

1891- after 1901

EARNSHAW George & sons

From 1926 to after 1945

TEMPERLEY Fred & J. Ltd.

Demolished

 

Fred Temperleys clay works at Saundersclough

 

Additional information

researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade

Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group

 

Todmorden Rates Book 1860-90

Owned and occupied by James Dearden, colliery etc. Saunder Clough; rateable value £362.12s.2d.

1866 - rateable value £391.12s.0d.

1873 - additions to colliery rateable value £164.3s.0d.

1880 - rateable value £400.

1881 - rateable value £425.

1886 - colliery, sidings, tramways etc. rateable value £347.5s.0d.

 

Additional notes

1891 census

George Earnshaw, Rock Nook, brick manufacturer.

1896 Saunder Clough at Dulesgate employed 5 underground workers and mined manufacturing coal and fireclay. It was owned by Geo. Earnshaw & sons of Saunder Clough, Dulesgate, Todmorden, and the manager was Geo. Earnshaw.

1901 census

George Earnshaw, 514 Bacup Road, brick manufacturer

1945

F. & J. Temperley Ltd., Bacup Rd., Todmorden

Saunder Clough No.2 (fireclay). Employ 14 underground workers and 3 surface workers.

 

"