ROCK SPRING BREWERY
Map Ref. SD 930231
For earlier entries on this site see GAUXHOLME COTTON MILL
GRIMSHAW J. Ltd. of Burnley
On 10th May 1888, the BAY HORSE INN, Dulesgate, was sold by auction at the White Hart Hotel to Mr. John Bulcock, brewer, Gauxholme, for £700. The Bulcock family had come from Burnley in the late 1860's as brewers. John ran a successful business and about 1880 he leased the Gauxholme Cotton Mill, which was in a sad state of repair as it had been affected by fire and was partly burnt down. John rebuilt the place and made it far more modern. He erected what became the Rock Springs Brewery, with stables and a dwelling house. Buying the Bay Horse, no doubt gave John another outlet for the sale of his beer and he probably rented it out to a tenant landlord.
The family lived at Rock Springs House, which was situated next door to the brewery at Gauxholme. John and his family of six children prospered and continued to live in Todmorden until they died. John died aged 76 in 1907 and his wife Eliza preceded him by a year. They are buried at Christ Church in the family vault along with son James.
Their son James had followed his father in the brewing business, helping at the brewery and later as a commercial traveller. He married the widow of William Hubbard, Emily Farrow, who had run the Rope and Anchor for a short while in the early 1900's.
Rock Spring House
researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade, Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group
Walsden Rates Book 1879-90
owned and occupied by John Bulcock, brewery and power, Gauxholme, rateable value £80.15s.0d.
Kellys Directory 1893
John Bulcock, Gauxholme,
Robinson's Halifax & District 1905
John Bulcock, Rock Spring Brewery, Rochdale Rd. Gauxholme, Residence Rock Spring House.
Kellys Directory 1908
John Bulcock, Gauxholme
"Where have all the Breweries Gone?" Norman Barker.
The brewery was acquired by J. Grimshaw Ltd. of Burnley in 1914.