RAMSDEN WOOD ROAD SHED
Map Ref. SD 933213
Notes from John Travis, contemporary historian
In 1881 three brothers called Unsworth of Newbridge, Walsden, erected a small weaving shed in Ramsden Wood Road. It was behind the houses called The Row, and the site was part of a meadow adjoining Ramsden Clough. Furnished with engine, boiler, shafting and later, looms. Worked for a few years but found it too small and gave up. Later used as a joiners shop, stables and general carriers warehouse, but no weaving since.
researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade
Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group
Walsden Rates Book 1876
Owned and occupied T. and J. Unsworth; new weaving shed, Strines; rateable value £25.
Walsden Rates Book 1879-80
Owned and occupied T. and J. Unsworth; shed and power; Bottoms; rateable value ££25. (1880 RV £27.10s.0d.)
Walsden Rates Book 1881
Empty; owners T. and J. Unsworth; Bottoms; RV £24.15s.0d.
Todmorden Advertiser 3rd June 1887
To let or sell; workshop at Bottoms, Walsden; engine, boiler and shafting for 40 looms with room for more. Also suit shuttle and picker maker, reed maker, machine maker, millwright, and wheelwright or iron founder. 1040 square yards. Ground rent £7