Map Ref. SD921256
EASTWOOD John and James
STANSFIELD John and Ashton
Not listed in rate books
researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade
Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group
Notes from John TRavis, contemporary historian:
Past “Rutchley,” there was Lineholme, where a mill had been in existence since before 1800, the power being derived from the water from the tail-goit of old Lydgate Mill, which stood in a field just by the Railway Inn … the old Lydgate Mill was entirely demolished about 1860 …
1805 valuation of Stansfield Township
No.609 on plan; Lydgate factory, wheel race, waterfall; owned and occupied by John Eastwood; annual value £35.
1805 map of Stansfield
The site is called Low Factory.
1816 map of Stansfield
Lydgate Mill named; separate ownership (not named) but surrounded by land owned by Richard Naylor of Kitson Wood.
Leeds Mercury 18th April 1818
Lydgate Factory for sale; cotton factory in Stansfield; 2 water wheels; in the possession of James Eastwood, built about 14 years ago, 4 storeys, 24 yards by 10 yards within. Large part of ground floor used for 10 cottages. On the turnpike Road.
Parson & White 1830
John and Ashton Stansfield; Lydgate Mill and Lineholme; cotton spinners & manufacturers.
Stansfield Rates book 1835-36
John Stansfield; Lydgate Mill; value £14.5s.6d.
12th July 1851
John Judson, beerseller, killed by falling from the steps at Lydgate Mill
Stansfield Rates Book 1854
Owned and occupied by J. & A. Stansfield; Lydgate; mill, power and warehouse; rateable value £63.13s.6d.
(Not listed in 1860 onwards)
Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 6th November 1858
Fire at Lydgate Mill; Messrs J. & A. Stansfield; in the storeroom facing the road, underneath which are 4 cottages.