Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
HOME
BAPTISMS
MARRIAGES
BURIALS
MI's
CENSUS
CHURCHES
PARISH RELIEF
PLACES
PEOPLE
MILLS & MINES
HISTORY
MAPS
PHOTO GALLERY
LINKS

 

THE HARRY LEAH COLLECTION

Harry Leah (deceased) found the following photos in a Todmorden building about to be gutted in 1977. They were to be binned when he was allowed to rescue them. His son Tony is now the proud owner and was keen for them to be displayed on our website. They are a mixture of ages and subjects, and many are originals and unique. They represent significant aspects of the social history of Todmorden

We are grateful to Tony Leah for the use of photos from his collection and also for his kind permission to use the images

BACK TO PHOTO GALLERY INDEX

 

please click on the thumbnails to see an enlargement and further details of the events, places and people

 

An ambulance presented to the people of Todmorden by Joshua Hoyle in 1925
A horse-drawn fire engine and the Todmorden fire brigade outside the Town Hall
One of the first Todmorden buses suffered engine failure & crashed in to the wall of the old Roomfield Chapel in 1907.
   
Scene outside the Golden Lion in Todmorden during the 1931 floods A very old photo of a band at Lobb Mill arches. Brilliant hats and instruments! Inside the Astin-Barker Victoria Iron Works, Salford, Todmorden
     
Another scene inside Astin-Barker's Iron Works 1931 floods on Burnley Rd. National School on left, and Mons Mill chimney in distance Todmorden library on the right & Unitarian Church in the distance
   
Caleb Hoyle (1840-1914) first Mayor of Todmorden in 1896 Robert Law (1840-1907) on the right with the bronze age urns & artefacts he discovered at Higher Cross Stone Farm 1898 Samuel Banks (1849-1938) botanist and poet of Burnley Rd. and a member of the Loyal Shepherdess Lodge of the Oddfellows for 60 years
     
A Borough Engineer inspecting the work on the new bridge at Callis, early 1900's. Love the washing line and pony & trap James Greenwood, organist and musician at Todmorden Church Another scene of the 1931 flood in Todmorden
   
Diverting the river near Eastwood in 1901
Th' Scar at Newbridge, Walsden, about 1930. Now demolished along with the cottages.
Another scene of Burnley Road in the 1931 Todmorden floods
   
Roseberry Street, off Burnley Road, Cornholme 3 unknown men having a "dentist" joke in a wonderful Victorian sitting room The children's ward in the typhoid block at Fielden Hospital, Lee Bottom, in 1905
   
Eastwood main sewer construction. Photo taken Tuesday January 5th 1904
Harley Street, Todmorden Unitarian Church, Todmorden
   
Architect's drawing of proposed alterations to interior of St. Mary's 1886. Whitfield & Thomas Architect 20 Cockspur Street London SW Architect's drawing of proposed alterations to exterior of St. Mary's 1886. Whitfield & Thomas Architect 20 Cockspur Street London SW Ferney Lee during the construction of the recreation ground that opened in 1902.
   

Possibly the original artist's ink drawing of a sketch shown in the Todmorden & Hebden Bridge Almanac 1877 of the Two Lads Standing Stones on Langfield Moor.

Signed bottom left "SC 1876"

Mr. T.W. Eastwood, solicitor and clerk to the Todmorden Local Board. Invitation to a dinner for the contractors and gentlemen of the town to celebrate the opening of the New Market House, 29th December 1879
   
The opening of the Abraham Ormerod Medical Centre at Ridgefoot, Todmorden by H.R.H. the Princess Royal, Mary Countess of Harewood on 23rd July 1938.

 

"