Map Ref. SD 929250
The Hare & Hounds about 1897
Now Hare & Hounds Inn
The Holme was a farm owned and occupied by Joshua Fielden (1728-1810). He had a son, Samuel, born about 1759, who appears to have inherited the land. All the land where the farm was situated is built on, and although the Holme is mentioned in the 1841 census, there are very few houses and no farmers or manufacturers living there. What is there is a pub, now known as the Hare and Hounds, which opened about 1820 as The New Inn. It was situated on what was then Holme Lane, set well back from Burnley Road. There was a fairly extensive farm attached to the left side of the inn, long ago incorporated into the pub. To the right of the pub was the Holme Field. It is believed this pub is the site of Holme Farm and factory.
Notes from John Travis, local historian
The Holme was probably so named from the wide expanse of meadows in front of the farm premises stretching from the main road up the hillside on the left hand, and round by the back parts, coming down to the entrance of the Holme and Ashenhurst Road.
researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade
Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group
Valuation of Stansfield Township 1805
No. on plan 632, Holme; no. on plan 631, waste with dams etc; measures 1 rod 18 perches; annual value 14/6d.
Factory rooms with waterfall; annual value £10; all owned and occupied by Samuel Fielden.
Crompton’s 1811 spindle enquiry
Holme; 432 mule spindles; 2 x 18doz.
Stansfield Township map 1816
Building with 2 dams above shown, but not named, on land owned by Samuel Fielden