Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
HOME
BAPTISMS
MARRIAGES
BURIALS
MI's
CENSUS
CHURCHES
PARISH RELIEF
PLACES
PEOPLE
MILLS & MINES
HISTORY
MAPS
PHOTO GALLERY
LINKS

 

GORPLEY MILL

Dulesgate

Todmorden

Map Ref. SD 918235

Known occupiers

1610-1626

LORD Charles, fulling

c1805-1863

MADEN Henry & Son

c1823-1826

ORMEROD John

c1826-1865

ORMEROD Abraham & Bros.

1865-1880

Empty

1881

Dilapidated

1892

FEBER John

Pit inspected by M. Heywood 1976, it would take wheel 6’ 6” wide.

Demolished 1894

 

Illustrated history

   

The mill immediately before it was demolished,

by kind permission of Roger Birch

Gorpley Mill was built by the Maden family of Green End, Bacup in 1805 on the site of an older Fulling Mill. Initially, it too was used as a fulling and raising mill and was known as "Greasy factory". John Ormerod took over the mill in 1823 converting it to a cotton spinning and carding mill. He died in 1826 and was succeeded by his sons who traded as Abraham Ormerod & Brothers.
The brothers enlarged and improved the mill in 1838 when they added steam powered weaving looms, nd at some point added a gas plant for their own use. Whilst the work was in progress, the brothers rented the bottom room of the recently completed FRITHS NEW MILL, which was situated further down the valley towards Gauxholme and was owned by William and John Helliwell.

The same view in 2005

   
In 1841, there were 5 families living in the mill, almost certainly in the cottages shown in the above photographs. There were nine cottages in total. Samuel Law and family were there. He was a carter for the Ormerod Brothers for many years until his death in 1858, and was always known as Sam of Gorpley. Next door was widow, Mary Oldroyd, with 9 children and 3 other lodgers. Then there was Ely Nuttall, a labourer at the mill, with his family. John Crabtree and family lived next to them. He also worked at the mill. At the end was another widow, Hannah Whittaker, with 5 children all working in the mill. Altogether, there were 18 people living there who worked inside the mill.
   

Stoneswood House

Abraham Ormerod and his brothers William and Peter were also close by, at Stoneswood House, with their widowed mother Hannah.

 

The Ormerod brothers vacated the mill about 1865. It stood empty for many years and was later sold and pulled down in 1894. The stonework, iron and timber were removed, leaving only the old water wheel races and the cottages. The Ormerods also owned the large mills at HOLLINS, RIDGEFOOT, and ALMA MILL.

The water wheel casement and

cottage about 1902,

by kind permission of Roger Birch

   

remains of the waterwheel casement

   

Additional information

researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade

Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group

 

Rochdale Manor Survey 1626

Charles Lord. Fulling Mill with cottage and croft in Gorpley, with dams, water troughs etc. Charles Lord holds by deed dated 23rd August 1610. NB. The fulling mill is sold to James Fielden.

Account books of Jeremiah Jackson

1818 – John Ormerod, Todmorden Edge, pump, £2.9s.0d.

1822 – Messrs. Ormerod, Gorpley Mill.

1833 – Messrs. Ormerod, Gorpley Mill

1823 map of Todmorden

Gorpley Mill owned by James Maden Esq.

Baines Directory 1822

John Ormerod (Todmorden Edge), cotton manufacturer

Pigot and Dean 1825

John Ormerod (Todmorden Edge), cotton manufacturer

Baines 1825

John Ormerod, cotton spinner, calico and fustian manufacturer.

Pigot 1828-29

Abraham & William Ormerod, cotton spinners and manufacturers.

Parson & White 1830

Abraham Ormerod & Bros. cotton spinners and manufacturers.

Pigot 1834

Abraham Ormerod & Bros. cotton spinners and manufacturers.

White 1842-43

Abraham Ormerod & Bros. cotton spinners and manufacturers

List of Todmorden voters 30th July 1842

William Ormerod, Stoneswood House, lease of mill for years, Gorpley Mill.

Peter Ormerod, Stoneswood House, lease of mill for years, Gorpley Mill.

1851 census

Abraham Ormerod of Ridgefoot, cotton manufacturer, firm of 3 employing 216 men, 228 females, 29 girls, 21 boys. Total 494.

Todmorden Rates Book 1860-63

Occupiers Ormerod Bros. owner James Maden Esq., cotton mill etc. Gorpley, rateable value £331.2s.6d. scutch room and warehouse £11.6s.8d.

Todmorden Rates Book 1864-65

Half empty, occupiers Ormerod Bros. owner Miss Taylor, cotton mill etc. Gorpley, rateable value £331.2s.6d. scutch room and warehouse £11.6s.8d.

Todmorden Rates Book 1865-69

Empty, owner Miss Taylor, cotton mill etc. Gorpley, rateable value £260.13s.0d.

Halifax Guardian 17th January 1866

To let. Gorpley Mill, Todmorden, lately occupied by A. Ormerod and Brothers. Scutching room detached, 9 cottages, stabling etc. 2 waterwheels, 45 feet diameter each, 30hp condensing steam engine. Apply Charles Milne, Goose Lane House, Rochdale or Thomas Crabtree, Todmorden Hall, or Robert Barker, Cloughfoot.

Todmorden Rates Book 1870-1880

Empty, owner Henry Cecil, cotton mill etc. Gorpley, rateable value £260.13s.0d.

Todmorden Rates Book 1881

Dilapidated, owner Henry Cecil, cotton mill etc. Gorpley, rateable value £252.10s.0d.

Todmorden Rates Book 1892

Occupier John Feber, owner Henry Cecil, land and buildings, Gorpley and Gorpley Mill, rateable value £74.

Todmorden in Coronation Year of Edward VII 1902

Alderman William Ormerod JP of Scaitcliffe Hall, born Stoneswood 12th June 1851. His father was the youngest of three brothers, Abraham, William and Peter of the firm of Abraham Ormerod & Bros. The family ran Gorpley Mill 1824-1865.

 

BACK TO TOP

"