Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
HOME
BAPTISMS
MARRIAGES
BURIALS
MI's
CENSUS
CHURCHES
PARISH RELIEF
PLACES
PEOPLE
MILLS & MINES
HISTORY
MAPS
PHOTO GALLERY
LINKS

 

GIBSONS MILL

George Street

off Halifax Road

Todmorden

 

 

It is now near impossible to sort out the complex of mills that developed on the once open land between the main road to Halifax, previously known as Roomfield Lane, and the canal. There were no streets, just open land, meadow and fields. The first to be built were ALBION MILL and CANAL STREET WORKS in 1839. The rest followed on over the next 30 years. One large complex of mills was a solid block, consisting of ANCHOR MILL, FEATHERS MILL, HOPE STREET MILL, CROFT MILL and STACKHILLS MILL, and somewhere in this industrial complex was Gibson Mill.

 

Known occupiers

1858-1860

GIBSON James

1859-1862

DAWSON James & Co.

1859-1865

LORD Bros.

1860-1871

BROOK & LORD

Messrs. John Brook & James Lord

1861-64

HALSTEAD Sutcliffe

Incorporated with STACKHILLS MILL from about 1864

 

Additional information

researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade

Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group

 

Notes from John Travis, contemporary historian:

James Gibson took land on lease, part of the Kilnhurst Estate, on the opposite side of the road to Knowles & Sutcliffe’s mill at STACKHILLS, where he began to erect a weaving shed, taking power from Knowles & Sutcliffe’s engine by a shaft across the street. When the shed was finished, Mr. Gibson moved his looms from VALE MILL. He went on for a few years but suffered a reverse during the cotton famine.

 

Langfield Rates Book 1858

Owner and occupier James Gibson; Roomfield Lane; shed etc; rateable value £60.13s.11d.

 

Langfield Rates Book 1859

  1. Occupiers Dawson & Lord; owner James Gibson; Roomfield Lane; beaming room; rateable value £2.16s.0d; weft rooms; rateable value £4.12s.8d.
  2. Occupier James Gibson; owner Knowles & Sutcliffe; Roomfield Lane; 8hp (power only); rateable value £6.9s.2d; joiners shop; rateable value £5.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 12th May 1860

Auction. Two newly erected weaving sheds and workshops called Gibson’s Mill, Langfield, now or late in the occupation of Mr. James Gibson & his son, Mr. James Dawson & Messrs. Brooks & Lord. Also building land adjacent, which with buildings equals 3427 square yards. Weaving shed first erected – east side 153, west side 89 feet, north and south sides 64 feet. The weaving sheds and workshops in course of erection – east side 162 feet, north side 134 feet. Freehold. Annual chief rent £44 created by indenture 16th September 1857 between John Knowles and James Gibson. Further particulars Bairstow, Howarth and Hargreaves, trustees for the benefit of the creditors of James Gibson.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 26th May 1860

James Gibson, Roomfield Lane, sale of effects of mill and sale of stock.

 

Halifax Courier 7th July 1860

Bankruptcy of James Gibson of Todmorden, cotton manufacturer. Debts proved amount to £286.6s.8d.

 

Langfield Rates Book 1860

Owners & occupiers Lord Bros; Roomfield Lane; shed, beam and weft rooms, joiners shop; rateable value £73.12s.7d.

 

Langfield Rates Book 1861-62

  1. Occupied by James Dawson; owned by Lord Bros; Roomfield Lane; beaming room; rateable value £2.16s.0d; weft rooms; rateable value £4.12s.8d.
  2. Owners & occupiers Lord Bros; Roomfield Lane; shed, beam and weft rooms, joiners shop; rateable value £73.12s.7d.

 

Langfield Rates Book 1863-64

  1. Occupied by Sutcliffe Halstead; owned by Lord Bros; Roomfield Lane; beaming room; rateable value £2.16s.0d; weft rooms; rateable value £4.12s.8d.
  2. Owners & occupiers Lord Bros; Roomfield Lane; shed, beam and weft rooms, joiners shop; rateable value £73.12s.7d.

 

Incorporated with STACKHILLS MILL from 1864

 

"