Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
HOME
BAPTISMS
MARRIAGES
BURIALS
MI's
CENSUS
CHURCHES
PARISH RELIEF
PLACES
PEOPLE
MILLS & MINES
HISTORY
MAPS
PHOTO GALLERY
LINKS

 

EASTWOOD UPPER MILL AND SHED

Eastwood

Todmorden

Map Ref. SD 961258

 

See also EASTWOOD DYEWORKS (or Lower Mill/Cockden Mill)

 

Known owners and occupiers

 

1785

EASTWOOD Thomas

1805-1890

EASTWOOD Henry, William, John etc.

1841-1845

MOSS Robert

1854-1871

SUTCLIFFE Bros.

1854-1860

SCHOLFIELD Bros.

SCHOLFIELD James

1866-1867

SUTCLIFFE & ROBERTS

1868-70

ROBERTS John & Son

1871-75

SUTCLIFFE Barker

1874-1878

MARSHALL Abraham

1875

SHAW Robert

1881-1885

THOMAS William & Jonas

1888-1908

ANTHONY Bros.

(Vincent, George, Robert and William Henry.)

1929

Auction

 

Extracts from the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments – Yorkshire Textile Mills. February 1987.

 

The Eastwood family, minor gentry, yeoman farmers and landowners, occupied the hamlet of Eastwood for many generations. At different times, the family controlled a corn mill, a twining mill, and a cotton-spinning mill, all in or near Eastwood. By the early 19th century, members of the family were being described as cotton manufacturer, cotton spinner, and worsted spinner, running mills at Upper and Lower Eastwood.

The early history of Eastwood Shed is complicated by the difficulty in establishing certain references to the site. The hamlet of Eastwood, in which the shed is located, included from at least the early 19th century a mill known as Upper Mill, and used probably for cotton spinning. The dams providing water for power are shown on maps dating from 1815. The maps show the dams served a building on the east side of Eastwood Lane. An 1833 map shows the site of Eastwood Shed to be west of the lane as vacant land, but 15 years later the shed was in existence. It is highly likely the shed was built as part of the original spinning mill (Upper Mill) to form an integrated cotton mill; the spinning process being done in the old Upper Mill and the weaving sited in the new purpose built shed on the other side of the lane.

After 1850, various tenants leased the shed and mill. They seem to have been owned by the same Eastwood family up to at least 1880, possibly down to 1929 when estates in Eastwood, including the shed, were sold in various lots. The former Upper Mill is now no longer recognisable, but the shed survives in part, although gutted and now used as a cow shed.


 

Additional information

researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade

Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group

 

The Upper Mill (spinning)

 

Eastwood and the Eastwood Family by A. Newell 1916

Indenture 1785

Thomas Eastwood of Eastwood, Gentleman, conveyed to John Ingham as Trustee all that messuage etc. with one water corn mill, one twining mill, 3 cottages and 1 barn at Eastwood, with land including “the long field above the barn wherein the mill dam is”, all commonly called Upper Eastwood.

 

Stansfield Land Tax Assessments 1797 and 1798

Owned and occupied by Thomas Eastwood; factory; tax 4s.

 

Stansfield Land Tax Assessments 1800

Owned and occupied by Thomas Eastwood; factory; tax 3s.8d.

 

Probate of the will of Thomas Eastwood 9th July 1804

To his son William Eastwood – 2 messuages, farms or tenements situate in Eastwood … also all those several mills or factories erected or then erecting in Eastwood then in the sole occupations of himself and his son William … together with all dams, goits, floodgates, wheels, wheel races, springs etc.

 

Stansfield valuation 1805

Upper Eastwood; Joseph Eastwood owner and occupier

 

1810 (no source)

“There were two mills on this site, one of them originally a corn mill. By 1810 one was being used for cotton spinning …”(Ingle, 1980)

 

Stansfield Land Tax Assessments 1810

William Eastwood, owner and occupier, factory, tax 3s.8d.

 

Agreement 18th June 1810

Between William Eastwood, gentleman, Thomas Eastwood, cotton spinner, John Eastwood, worsted spinner, all of Lower Eastwood; and Henry Eastwood of Upper House or Upper Eastwood, cotton manufacturer, regarding water rights to respective mills;

First – that the clough at the south side of the dam at Upper Eastwood when the water is let out … for the use of the works at Lower Eastwood …

Second – that the owners or occupiers of the works at Lower Eastwood when in want of water to work machinery shall have the right of drawing water from the said dam at Upper Eastwood …  

(Mss. from the late E. W. Watson of Hebden Bridge)

 

Crompton’s spindle enquiry 1811

In 1811 the mill contained four mules with 960 spindles.

 

Stansfield Township map 1816

Mill at Eastwood shown but not named on land owned by William Eastwood. Also 4 dams, the largest and furthest away owned by Thomas Eastwood as purchaser of William Eastwood.

 

Leeds Mercury 6th November 1819

Auction 10th November of Upper Eastwood estate

 “There formerly stood a water corn mill upon the premises, which has lately been converted to other purposes … as the mill dams, reservoirs and goits are open, the premises comprising the first lot form a desirable situation for erecting a mill …”

 

Baines 1822

John Eastwood, Eastwood, gentleman

William Eastwood, Eastwood, gentleman

Thomas Eastwood, Eastwood, gentleman

Henry Eastwood, East Lee, cotton manufacturer

 

Stansfield Land Tax Assessments 1822

Owner and occupiers; William Eastwood & Sons; Factory; tax 2s.4d.

 

Pigot & Deane 1824-25

John, William and Thomas Eastwood, gentlemen, Eastwood, Stansfield.

 

Baines 1825

John and William Eastwood, gentlemen, Eastwood.

Thomas Eastwood, Eastwood, cotton manufacturer.

 

Stansfield Land Tax Assessments 1825

Owner and occupiers; William Eastwood & Sons; Factory; tax 2s.4d.

 

Pigot 1828-29

Thomas Eastwood, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Eastwood

 

Stansfield Land Tax Assessments 1830

Owner and occupiers; William Eastwood & Sons; Factory; tax 2s.4d.

 

Stansfield Land Tax Assessments 1832

Owner and occupiers; William Eastwood & Sons; Factory; tax 2s.4d.

 

1835 (no source)

“The Eastwood family occupied the mill from about 1810 to about 1835”

(Ingle, 1980) Note that William Eastwood, son of Thomas, died 29th April 1835.

 

1841 census

Robert Moss, Eastwood, aged 55, worsted spinner

 

Walker 1845

Robert Moss, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Eastwood.

 

Stansfield Rates book 1854

Occupied by William Sutcliffe; owner Thomas Eastwood; mill; water and steam engine; Eastwood; rateable value £28.8s.6d.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1860

Occupied by William Sutcliffe; owner William Sutcliffe; mill and power; Eastwood; rateable value £31.17s.6d.

 

Kelly 1861

Sutcliffe Bros., cotton spinners & manufacturers, Eastwood.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1867

Occupied by W. & J. Sutcliffe; owners W. & J. Sutcliffe; cotton mill; Eastwood; rateable value £23.17s.6d.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1868-70

Empty; owned by W. & J. Sutcliffe; cotton mill; Eastwood; rateable value £23.17s.6d.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1871

Empty; owner A. G. Eastwood; mill etc; Eastwood; rateable value £23.17s.6d.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1873

Empty; owner A. G. Eastwood; mill etc; Eastwood; rateable value £23.17s.6d.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1874-75

Empty; owner A. G. Eastwood; mill etc; Eastwood; rateable value £23.17s.6d.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1876-78

Empty; owner A. G. Eastwood; mill etc; Eastwood; rateable value £23.17s.6d.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1880

Not listed


Eastwood Shed (weaving)

 

Extracts from the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments – Yorkshire Textile Mills. February 1987.

 

Eastwood Shed occupies a hillside site in Eastwood about 300 feet above the Calder Valley. The shed is L-shaped, the main part formerly comprising the working area and the shorter arm formerly housing a waterwheel with room over, a steam engine, boilers and a stair. A small reservoir and chimney lie above the mill. Adjacent to the main shed is a detached 2-storey building that has a privy on the ground floor and may have been used as a warehouse.

The shed was built between 1833 and 1848, probably as part of Upper Mill. It was used for cotton weaving, and after 1850 appears to have been run independently of Upper Mill.

 

Stansfield Rates book 1854

Occupied by James Scholfield; owner John Eastwood; mill and power; Eastwood; rateable value £41.7s.6d; ¾ empty.

 

April 1857

The Scholfield Bros. of Eastwood advertised for about 200 handloom weavers to weave quilting and other fancy cottons. Wages 6d per piece more than present rate. Constant employment.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 28th January 1860

To let; loomshed at Eastwood; capable of containing 144 looms, now occupied by the Scholfield Bros; lease expires 24th June next; apply John Eastwood.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1860

Occupied by Sutcliffe Bros; owned by John Eastwood; mill and power; Eastwood; rateable value £43.11s.6d.

 

Kelly 1861

Sutcliffe Bros., cotton spinners & manufacturers, Eastwood

 

White 1866

Sutcliffe & Roberts, cotton spinners & manufacturers, Eastwood

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1867

Occupied by Sutcliffe & Roberts; owned by W. M. Eastwood; mill and power; Eastwood; rateable value £70.9s.8d.

 

Post Office Directory 1867

John Sutcliffe & Co. cotton spinners & manufacturers, Eastwood.

 

Post Office Directory 1867

John Sutcliffe & Co. cotton spinners & manufacturers, Eastwood

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1868-70

Occupied by John Roberts & Son; owned by W. M. Eastwood; mill and power; Eastwood; rateable value £70.9s.8d.

 

1871 census

John Roberts, Eastwood, aged 53, master cotton manufacturer employing 46 people.

 

Kelly 1871

John Sutcliffe & Co., cotton spinners & manufactures, Eastwood.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1871

One-sixth empty; occupied by Barker Sutcliffe; owner W. M. Eastwood; mill and power; Eastwood; rateable value £70.9s.8d.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1873

Occupied by Barker Sutcliffe; owner W. M. Eastwood; mill and power; Eastwood; rateable value £70.9s.8d.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1874-75

Occupied by B. Sutcliffe & Abraham Marshall; owner W. M. Eastwood; mill and power; Eastwood; rateable value £70.9s.8d.

 

Slater 1875

Robert Shaw, cotton spinner & manufacturer, Eastwood.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1876-78

Occupied by Abraham Marshall; owner W. M. Eastwood; mill and power; Eastwood; rateable value £70.9s.8d.

 

Halifax Courier 1st December 1877

Reduction of 6% made by Mr. Marshall, Eastwood, manufacturer, on his work peoples’ wages. Rejected at first and mill closed, but then accepted by a few. The cotton trade continues to be slack.

 

The Leeds Mercury Friday November 1st. 1878

Todmorden trade depressed. Mr. B. Sutcliffe (Nanholme and Eastwood Mills) about 200 looms and spinning, running full time

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1880

Empty; owner W. M. Eastwood; mill and power; Eastwood; rateable value £70.9s.8d. (reduced on appeal)

                         

Death of William Manley Eastwood 6th May 1880

Succession Duty on Real Property (Inland Revenue)

Property to John Wilfred Eastwood of Eastwood, including freehold weaving shed and premises known as Eastwood Mill, and 4 cottages … agreed to let for a term of 7 years at one entire rack rent to Messrs Sutcliffe & Thomas. Gross rent or annual value £80. Saleable value £1,500.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1881

Occupied by Sutcliffe & Thomas; owned by W. M. Eastwood; mill and power; Eastwood; rateable value £54.15s.0d.

 

Halifax Courier 9th June 1883

Partnership dissolved. Sutcliffe & Thomas, Eastwood Head, Todmorden, cotton manufacturers.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1884-85

Occupied by W. Thomas & Co; owned by W. M. Eastwood; mill and power; Eastwood; rateable value £50.

 

Todmorden Advertiser 18th January 1884

Work peoples’ treat, W & J. Thomas & Co. Eastwood Shed, at the Station Hotel, Eastwood.

 

Halifax Courier 26th April 1884

Partnership dissolved between William Thomas, Jonas Thomas, Henry Sutcliffe and Robert Sutcliffe (W. & J. Thomas & Co.), Eastwood, cotton manufacturers, as regards Henry Sutcliffe.

 

Todmorden Advertiser 12th December 1884

Work peoples’ treat, W & J. Thomas & Co. Eastwood Shed, at the Station Hotel, Eastwood.

 

Halifax Courier 30th January 1886

Eastwood Mill creditors meeting. Mill used for cotton manufacture under the firm of William and Jonas Thomas. Liabilities £1,700, assets £900. No offer was made, but creditors intimated that a composition of 10 shillings in the pound would be accepted. There is a proposal to float the mill as a co-operative concern.

 

Halifax Courier 27th February 1886

Receiving order made against William and Jonas Thomas, cotton manufacturers of Eastwood. The petitioning creditor being Mr. Greenwood Whitham, weaver of Eastwood.

 

Halifax Courier 20th March 1886

Meeting of creditors of William and Jonas Thomas. Mr. S. C. Farrar, yarn agent of Todmorden was appointed as trustee. One of the debtors was present, the other is said to have absconded.

 

Halifax Courier 27th March 1886

William and Jonas Thomas, public examination 22nd April at Burnley. Liabilities £1,846; unsecured £1,566; liabilities fully secured £280; assets £767; deficit £1,164.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1888-99

Occupied by Anthony Bros; owners W. M. Eastwood’s executors; mill and power; Eastwood; rateable value £54.5s.0d; Vincent and George Anthony’s house near Eastwood; Robert Anthony’s house Lane House; William Henry Anthony’s house Cockden.

 

Worrall 1891

Anthony Bros. Eastwood Shed, 158 looms, wigans, fustians, twills etc.

 

Kelly 1893-97

Anthony Bros., weavers, Eastwood

 

Kelly 1908

Vincent Anthony, cotton manufacturer, Eastwood.

 

1st July 1929

Eastwood Estates advertised for sale by auction. Eastwood Shed was lot number 6.

 

"