Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
HOME
BAPTISMS
MARRIAGES
BURIALS
MI's
CENSUS
CHURCHES
PARISH RELIEF
PLACES
PEOPLE
MILLS & MINES
HISTORY
MAPS
PHOTO GALLERY
LINKS

 

CROW CARR INGS MILL

Whiteplatts Street

Todmorden

Map Ref. SD938245

the original weaving sheds in 2005

 

Known occupiers -

details on each occupier later in this story

1857-1908

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd.

1861

GREENWOOD William

1861

CHAMBERS Thomas

SUTCLIFFE James

HOLDSWORTH John

1861-1871

CHAMBERS Thomas and Richard

1861

BENTLEY John

1861-1873

GREENWOOD Thomas & Co.

GREENWOOD Thomas & FIELDEN John Joshua

1861-1870

MARSHALL William & Co. [James Lord]

1861

SCHOLFIELD Thomas

1861-1871

STANSFIELD Joseph

1861-1873

SUTCLIFFE Mary & Sons

1861

PILLING Andrew

1861

FIELDEN James & Bros.

1861

CUNLIFFE Charles

1867

SPENCLEY William

1866-1887

HARRISON Enoch & Co.

1867-1874

SHEPHERD & SUTCLIFFE

1870-1873

SUTHERS Luke Harker & William

1872-1887

BARKER William & Luke & CRABTREE Richard

1888-1912

BARKER Luke & Sons (John and Robert)

 

The mill finally closed sometime after the Second World War. The building is still standing, currently occupied by a local precision engineering company.

 

Additional information

partially researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade, Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group

 

The Joint Stock Company

 

The Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Company built its mill in 1857 following the 1855 Companies Act, which encouraged outside investment in return for shares in Limited Companies. However, unlike ALMA MILL, the Crow Carr Ings Mill was developed to provide power and space for individual tenants to share, rather than run the mill as one firm. The Company provided the building, engines, gearing and shafting. The tenants installed their own machinery, in this case, power looms. The idea behind this was to encourage the entrepreneurial working class man with the opportunity to start a business with a very moderate initial outlay. Indeed, many of these early tenants did go on to become successful manufacturers, giving employment to many people.

 

Notes from John Travis, contemporary historian and clerk of works for the building of this mill

 

About 1856 a new joint stock mill company in Todmorden, and directors began preparing the ground at Crow Carr Ings on the Stansfield Hall estate for building a large weaving shed for 700 looms etc. The land had originally been taken by a company for building streets of houses, but decided to erect a shed instead. In April 1857, John Travis (author) was appointed clerk of works. Mr. Robert Mills, contractor; Nuttall & Newsome, masons; John Shackleton, joiners; Richard Stansfield, iron; Samuel and James Barnes, slaters; William Sutcliffe, plumber and glazier; Samuel Smith, plasterer; Bracewell Bros., ventilators; James Helliwell, gas fitting; engines and boilers from Benjamin Goodfellows of Hyde in Cheshire; Jonathan Barker of Millwood, shafting and gearing; On 1st May 1858, the engines, a pair of compound beam, high and low pressure, started by Joseph Knowles, treasurer of the company.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser February 1857

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd.

To be let by tender 14th March; excavating, levelling, dry walling and gravelling in construction of their works at Crow Carr Ings, Todmorden. John Holmes (Hon. Sec.)

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser March 1857

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd.

Upwards of 3,800 shares already allotted. Directors intend to limit present issues of shares to 5,000. Liabilities restricted to amount of shares.

 

Todmorden and Hebden bridge Advertiser April 1857

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. Upwards of 4,000 shares allotted.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser June 1857

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd.

Josiah Lord Dale Street, Chairman. Mill ready for tenants May or June.

 

1st July 1857

First General Meeting of shareholders of Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. held at Queen Hotel. Mr. Josiah Lord in the chair.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 10th October 1857

Room and Power. Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd.

Persons intending taking room and power – make early representations for same to Mr. Edward Lord, the engineer, Canal Street Works; Josiah Lord, Chairman, Dale Street; John Whitaker, Wellington Terrace; or John Holmes, Secretary, Church Street; John Stansfield, solicitor, from whom conditions of letting may be had.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 27th February 1858

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd.

9 out of 11 sections let. Only 2 sections now remain undisposed of, each capable of holding 66 looms.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 5th June 1858

Saturday last, one year from day when first let, engines set to work for first time. Engines christened “Unity” and “Strength”. During the week, 50 shares sold at premium of 3/3d per pound share.

 

Stansfield rates Book 1860

Owned and occupied by Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd; Crow Carr Ings; White Platts; mill and power; rateable value £372.17s.5d.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 16th November 1861

Sale of 45 looms, 37-inch reed space, Lord Bros; 6 looms of 37-inch reed space, Wilkinsons Burnley; 15 looms at 45-inch reed space, Wilkinsons Burnley.

Apply No.10 Crow Carr Ings Mill.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 8th March 1862

Sale of 60 power looms; apply No.6 Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1867-90

Owned and occupied by Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd; Crow Carr Ings; engine, power, looms etc; rateable value £87.11s.11d. (Two rooms unlet in 1867)

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Almanac 1st July 1868

12th annual meting of the Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. at Queen Hotel. Dividend 7.5%. Receipts for year from Room and Power £1,731.10s.6d.

 

Halifax Courier 14th July 1877

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. dividend on members shares 12.5%.

 

Halifax Courier 5th July 1879

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. Annual meeting. Dividends 6%

 

Todmorden Advertiser 5th February 1880

To Let; room and power at Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. for 264 looms; apply S. B. Priestley, secretary.

 

Todmorden Advertiser 14th January 1881

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. selling 50 shares

 

Todmorden Advertiser 21st January 1881

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. sold 65 £1 shares for £77.

 

Todmorden Advertiser 28th January 1881

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. selling 65 shares.

 

Halifax Courier 2nd July 1881

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. annual meeting. Profit £232.9s.7d. Dividend 5%.

 

Todmorden Advertiser 3rd February 1882

Manchester Winter Assizes.

A. Ormerod & Bros. v. Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd.

Action brought in respect of the diversion of a watercourse. Ormerods complain their rights were interfered with. ( The Company discovered earlier that the old land drains were ineffective, causing flooding and other problems. The Company laid drains to and from the river in a different position, but then other firms began to complain that the Company was wasting precious water. New pipes were installed, but still there were problems. Messrs. Ormerod and Brothers issued the Company with a warning that they would take proceedings against the Company over this issue. A lawsuit followed, leaving the Company in financial distress. In 1883 it had cost the shareholders some £3,579. )

 

Halifax Courier 18th February 1882

Engine breakdown at Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. Crow Carr Ings, will be standing for 2 weeks.

 

Halifax Courier 21st June 1884

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. 28th yearly report. Considerable loss again due to having legal expenses, but lawsuit now settled. Balance loss £629.1s.11d.

 

Slater 1887

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd., Old Market Place.

 

2nd July 1906

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. 50th annual meeting held at the company offices, Hall Street, Todmorden.

 

Kelly 1908

Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Co. Ltd. (James Suthers Secretary), Union Offices, Hall Street.


William Greenwood

 

Kelly 1861

William Greenwood, cotton drill manufacturer etc.

 

Todmorden Post Office Directory 1861

Greenwood, William – cotton drill etc mfr – Crow Carr Ings Mill

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 30th March 1861

Bankrupt. William Greenwood, Heyhead and Crow Carr Ings, cotton manufacturer. Trustees for creditors, Thomas Helliwell of Greenhurst Hey cotton spinner & manufacturer, and Jonas Marland, Sun Vale, Walsden, machinist. Amongst other things, to sell 120 powerlooms in sections 1 and 2 at Crow Carr Ings.


Thomas and Richard Chambers

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 20th April 1861

Partnership of Thomas Chambers, James Sutcliffe and John Holdsworth, cotton manufacturers at Crow Carr Ings, dissolved. To be continued by Thomas Chambers.

 

Kelly 1861

Thomas Chambers, cotton manufacturer

 

Todmorden Post Office Directory 1861

Chambers, Thomas – cotton manufacturer – Crow Carr Ings Mill

 

White 1866

Richard Chambers, cotton manufacturer

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1867-71

Occupied by Richard Chambers; owners Joint Stock Co; Crow Carr Ings; 1 room; rateable value £19.10s.4d.

 

Todmorden West Riding Directory 1871

Chambers, Richard – printer and cotton mfr – Salford & Crow Carr Ing Mill

 

Census 1871

Richard Chambers, Salford, aged 54, letter press printer employing 4 men and 5 boys, cotton manufacturer employing 26 hands.


John Bentley

Todmorden Post Office Directory 1861

Bentley, John – cotton manufacturer – Crow Carr Ings Mill.


Thomas Greenwood and John Joshua Fielden

 

Todmorden Post Office Directory 1861

Greenwood, Thomas & Co. – cotton manufacturers – Crow Carr Ings Mill

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1867-73

Occupiers Thomas Greenwood & John J. Fielden; owners Joint Stock Co; 2 rooms; Crow Carr Ings; rateable value £39.0s.9d.

 

Todmorden West Riding Directory 1871

Greenwood, Thomas & Co. – cotton manufacturers – Crow Carr Ings Mill

 

Todmorden West Riding Directory 1871

Greenwood & Fielden – cotton manufacturers – Crow Carr Ings Mill

 

1871 census

John Joshua Fielden, White Platts Street, aged 28, cotton manufacturer.


William Marshall and James Lord

 

Todmorden Post Office Directory 1861

Marshall, William – cotton manufacturer – Crow Carr Ings Mill

 

White 1866

William Marshall & Co. (James Lord house, Myrtle Street), cotton manufacturers

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1867-70

Occupier James Lord; owners Joint Stock Co; Crow Carr Ings; 2 rooms; rateable value £30.0s.9d.

 

Halifax Guardian 7th May 1870

William Marshall & Co. cotton manufacturers, Todmorden, have issued circulars calling a meeting of their creditors. Liabilities £8,000 to £10,000.


Thomas Scholfield

Todmorden Post Office Directory 1861

Scholfield, Thomas – cotton manufacturer – Crow Carr Ings Mill.


Joseph Stansfield

 

Todmorden Post Office Directory 1861

Stansfield, Joseph – cotton check & regatta manufacturers – Crow Carr Ings Mill

 

Census 1861

Joseph Stansfield, London Road, aged 42, manufacturer of cotton

 

Todmorden West Riding Directory 1871

Stansfield, Joseph – cotton check & regatta manufacturers – Crow Carr Ings Mill

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1867-71

Occupied by Joseph Stansfield (house Wellington Road); owners Joint Stock Co; Crow Carr Ings; 1 room; rateable value £19.10s.4d.

 

Census 1871

Joseph Stansfield, Wellington Road, aged 51, cotton manufacturer.


Mary Sutcliffe & Sons

 

Todmorden Post Office Directory 1861

Sutcliffe, Mary & Sons – cotton manufacturers – Crow Carr Ings Mill

 

1861 census

Mary Sutcliffe, widow, 16 Mount Pleasant, aged 56, cotton manufacturer employing 23 hands.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1867-73

Occupied by Sutcliffe & Sons; owned by Joint Stock Co; Crow Carr Ings; 1 room; rateable value £19.10s.4d.

 

1871 census

Mary Sutcliffe, widow, 13 Mount Pleasant, aged 66, no occupation.

 

Todmorden West Riding Directory 1871

Sutcliffe, Mary & Sons – cotton manufacturers – Crow Carr Ings Mill.


Andrew Pilling & Sons

 

See DEANROYD MILL

 

Todmorden Post Office Directory 1861

Pilling, Andrew & Sons – cotton manufacturers – Crow Carr Ings

 

Kelly 1861

Andrew Pilling & Sons, Crow Carr Ings, cotton manufacturers

 

1861 census

Andrew Pilling, Wellington Terrace, aged 63, cotton manufacturer employing 34 hands.

John Horsfall Pilling, Raglan Street, aged 27, cotton manufacturer.

James Knowles Pilling, Raglan Street, aged 26, cotton manufacturer.


James Fielden & Bros.

See CARR MILL

 

Todmorden Post Office Directory 1861

Fielden, James & Brothers – cotton manufacturers – Crow Carr Ings Mill.

 

1861 census

James Fielden, 2 Victoria Terrace, aged 33, cotton manufacturer employing 8 men and 14 females.

William Fielden, 19 Peel Street, aged 23, cotton manufacturer.

Eli Fielden, 23 Patmos, aged 31, cotton warehouseman.

Crossley Fielden, 12 Victoria Terrace, aged 25, cotton winder-on.


Charles Cunliffe

 

See ADAMROYD MILL

 

Todmorden Post Office Directory 1861

Cunliffe, Charles – cotton manufacturer – Crow Carr Ings

 

1861 census

Charles Cunliffe, 11 Gandy Bridge, aged 27, cotton manufacturer employing 6 hands.


William Spencley

Stansfield Rates Book 1867 (first entry)

Occupied by William Spencley; owners Joint Stock Co; Crow Carr Ings; 1 room; rateable value £19.10s.4d.


Enoch Harrison & Co.

 

Views and Reviews 1896

E. Harrison & Co. started at Crow Carr Ings July 1866 with 139 looms, and moved to CALLIS MILL in 1887.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1867-68

Occupiers E. Harrison & Co; owners Joint Stock Mill; Crow Carr Ings; 2 rooms; rateable value £39.0s.9d.

 

Rivers Pollution Commission 1869

E. Harrison & Co. Crow Carr Ings, manufacturers of satins and fancy goods for printing and dyeing. Employ 70 hands. Rateable value £58.11s.2d. Water obtained from river. Manufacture yearly 104 tons of goods, value £20,000. Steam power nominal 50hp. 1,000 tons of coal yearly.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1869-71

Occupiers E. Harrison & Co; owners Joint Stock Mill; Crow Carr Ings; 3 rooms; rateable value £58.11s.2d.

 

Todmorden West Riding Directory 1871

Harrison, Enoch & Co – cotton manufacturers – Crow Carr Ing Mill

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1873

Occupiers E. Harrison & Co; owners Joint Stock Mill; Crow Carr Ings; 5 rooms

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1874-81

Occupiers E. Harrison & Co; owners Joint Stock Mill; Crow Carr Ings; 7 rooms; rateable value £170.5s.0d.

 

White's 1877 West Riding Directory

Harrison, Enoch & Co – cotton manufacturers – Crow Carr Ing Mill

 

The Leeds Mercury Friday November 1st 1878

Messrs Harrison & Co; Joint Stock Mill, 469 looms, full time

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 1st August 1879

Joint Stock Mill, Harrison & Co. 469 looms, running full time.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 23rd August 1879

E. Harrison & Co. Crow Carr Ings, 10% wage reduction.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 2nd January 1880

Harrison & Co. weavers’ social, New Year’s Eve at the Sobriety Hall.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 20th May 1887

Harrison & Co. Crow Carr Ings, have been moving their looms to a shed at Charlestown.


Henry & James Shepherd (Shepherd & Sutcliffe)

 

See VALE MILL

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1867-74

Occupied by Shepherd & Sutcliffe; owned by Joint Stock Co; Crow Carr Ings; 1 room; rateable value £19.10s.4d.


Luke Harker & William Suthers

See HOLLINS BOTTOM MILL

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1870-73

Occupied by L. H. & W. Suthers; owners Joint Stock Co; Crow Carr Ings; 2 rooms; rateable value £39.0s.9d.

 

Todmorden West Riding Directory 1871

Suthers, Luke Harker & William – cotton manufacturers – Crow Carr Ings Mill.

 

Census 1871

William Suthers, Bridgeroyd House, aged 35, master cotton spinner

Luke Harker Suthers, Harley Bank, Victoria Road, aged 37, cotton manufacturer.


William & Luke Barker and Richard Crabtree

 

LUKE BARKER

 

Notes from John Travis

Firm of Barker & Crabtree formed in 1867. The partners were William Barker, manager of Folly Mill in the Lumbutts Valley; his brother Luke Barker, late warper at Ormerod’s mill in Walsden; Richard Crabtree, late spinner at Green Vale Mill Littleborough; and Thomas Cockcroft, nephew of Henry Cockcroft of CROFT MILL. Thomas Cockcroft withdrew after a short time and took part of the room and power previously occupied by Jonathan Barker near Phoenix Ironworks, Millwood.

In 1872 the firm took room and power at the Joint Stock Mill, and soon afterwards took over the whole of one end of the mill, adding it to their other mill, Wadsworth Mill. Soon afterwards, Barker and Crabtree purchased FRITHS MILL then DANCROFT, and then took over the remaining portion of Crow Carr Ings as tenants of the Todmorden Joint Stock Mill Company.

Richard Crabtree died before 1890 and the partnership was dissolved. Luke Barker then brought his sons John and Robert to the firm trading as Luke Barker & Sons. They took on the rest of the rooms at the mill, and from about 1890 were the sole tenants.

There is more about Luke and his sons in the FRITHS MILL story, and Luke's own story HERE.

 

Luke Barker & Sons' wagon carrying weft boxes, beams and finished cotton pieces. They were awarded first prize in the Lifeboat Saturday procession of 1906. The wagon stands in front of Crow Carr Ings Mill on the corner of Vale Street and Crescent Street. Photo by kind permission of Roger Birch.

 

The same view in 2005. The street on the right, Crescent Street, was roofed over and incorporated into the building in very recent times. This "extension" begins where the corrugated fascia board is. The upstairs windows are the same, whilst the two arched doorways are now one modern entrance.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1875-81

Occupied by Barker & Crabtree; owned by Joint Stock Co; Crow Carr Ings; 4 rooms; rateable value £78.1s.6d.

1880 – rateable value £107.15s.0d. (re-valued)

1881 – rateable value £87. (re-valued)

 

White's 1877 West Riding Directory

Barkers and Crabtree cotton spinners & mfrs – Wadsworth & Crow Carr Ings Mills.

 

The Leeds Mercury Friday November 1st 1878

Messrs Barker & Crabtree, Joint Stock Mill, 263 looms full time

 

Halifax Courier 5th July 1879

Barker & Crabtree, Wadsworth Mill and Crow Carr Ings, weavers commenced running full time after having run 3 days for 2 to 3 months; mill hands working 4 days after being closed for 2 to 3 months.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 1st August 1879

Barker & Crabtree, Joint Stock Mill, 260 looms running full time.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 16th April 1880

Barker & Crabtree, Wadsworth Mill and Crow Carr Ings, weavers on strike – asking for an increase I wages.

 

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 14th May 1880

Barker & Crabtree, Wadsworth Mill and Crow Carr Ings, strike over, resumed work at old rates.

 

Halifax Courier 9th February 1884

William Barker, Luke Barker and Richard Crabtree, trading as Barker & Crabtree, partnership dissolved by death of Richard Crabtree 21st April 1883.

 

Halifax Courier 21st March 1885

Barker & Crabtree, Friths and Crow Carr Ings, on short time.

 

Slater 1887

Barker & Crabtree, Dancroft, Crow Carr Ings and Friths Mills, cotton spinners & manufacturers.

 

Manchester Examiner 22nd July 1887

Barker & Crabtree, (Friths, Crow Carr Ings, Wadsworth and Dancroft Mills), 18,000 spindles, 1,264 looms, weaving full time, spinning 4 days a week.

 

Stansfield Rates Book 1890

Occupied by Luke Barker & Sons; owned by Joint Stock Co; Crow Carr Ings; 11 rooms; rateable value £187.15s.0d.

 

 

 

BACK TO TOP

"