CROFT CARR ROPE WALK
Map Ref. SD951232
Croft Carr was the name given to the poorhouse in the hamlet of Carr Green, built for the poor people of the Township of Langfield in the days before the arrival of the Todmorden Union Workhouse. It is possible there was a rope walk situated in this building, or it may have been in a cottage in the hamlet.
The only real evidence of the existence of this rope walk is from the Langfield Rates Book of 1893.
Langfield Rates book 1893
Owned and occupied by James Hirst; rope walk; Croft Carr; rateable value £3.5s.0d.
Carr Green hamlet
The Hirst family appears to have been involved in rope making at Carr Green since at least 1861, evidenced by the census returns, but whether they worked at Carr Green is not known.
James Hirst, Carr Green, aged 59, band maker
James Hirst, Carr Green, aged 70, rope maker
William Hirst, Carr Green, aged 39, rope maker
William Hirst, Carr Green, aged 50, cotton rope twiner & grocer
Ellen Hirst, Carr Green, aged 58, employed cotton band maker
James Hirst, 56 Lobb Mill, aged 57, cotton rope joiner
James Hirst of Lobb Mill, rope maker, was named in an indenture concerning the land on which OLDROYD CHAPEL was built in 1883.