Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
HOME
BAPTISMS
MARRIAGES
BURIALS
MI's
CENSUS
CHURCHES
PARISH RELIEF
PLACES
PEOPLE
MILLS & MINES
HISTORY
MAPS
PHOTO GALLERY
LINKS

 

CASTLE MILL

Castle Clough

Todmorden

Map Ref. SD950247

 

Known owners

1788-1839

INGHAM Richard & Sons.

 

Additional information

researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade

Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group

 

 

Extract from the writings of John Travis

“… run of water gathered from Keelham Heights, which comes down by Ashes to Beanhole Head, then falls over the rocks to Foot’s stone quarry and forms Castle Clough, at which place it once turned a little factory of that name in olden times. …”

Sutcliffe papers Leeds Archives

In 1788 Richard Ingham of Castle, Stansfield, was a worsted stuff maker, when he bought land at Cinderhills. Richard senior had died by 1810 and left his estates to his sons, Richard, John and William.

 

9th January 1801: Royal Exchange Insurance Policy no. 180992

Richard Ingham of the Castle, Stansfield; cotton mill at Castle; own occupation; no stoves; £100. Clockmakers work, carding and breaking engines £100. Stock in trade £100. Total £300.

 

Township of Stansfield 1805

Factory chamber at Clough, owned by Richard Ingham; empty; annual value £2.10s.0d.

 

Stansfield Township Map of 1816

Richard Ingham’s estate at Castle marked.

 

Account books of Jeremiah Jackson 1831, 1834 and 1839

Messrs. Ingham, Castle Mill

 

"