Hebden Bridge (Stansfield)
Map Ref. SD 973265
oil painting of Callis Mill 1846
HORSFALL Richard, fuller?
HORSFALL John, fuller?
HORSFALL Robert, fuller?
HORSFALL John, fuller?
(Horsfall family owned the land on which there was a fulling mill)
RAWDON Christopher senior
RAWDON Christopher junior
ASHWORTH David and George & Co.
To let, partly recently destroyed by fire
SANDBACH W. L.
HARRISON Enoch & Co.
(Messrs Shepherd and Tattersall)
In 1976, the mill was bought by developers who demolished the main mill to create a car park. The 120 foot chimney was knocked down by Peter Crossley using a sledge hammer. All that remains standing are the weaving sheds that are used by the canal company, and the dye house, which was recently used by a German owned chemical company called Aquaspersions, and is now empty.
Callis Mill 1986
researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade
Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group
Documents archived at Calderdale Archives, Halifax: 1333
1333, Richard son of Henry Horsfall … is believed to have been a conscript at the siege of Calais and later giving this name to Callis Mill.
Savile papers 14th April 1498
Sir John Savile to John Horsfall, one parcel of land with the adjacent water, containing half an acre … lying within the Vale of Stansfield between the land of John Soothill Esq. called Roughtownstall Wood on the east, and on land called Lassy land on the west, and a licence to attach a mill dam for a fulling mill, rent 1d. silver yearly, with suit of Savile tenants.
Documents archived at Calderdale Archives, Halifax: 17th May 1560
Robert Horsfall pays 16d. … on parcel of land and water containing half the water of the Calder, with licence to fix the dam of a fulling mill built thereon in Graveship of Sowerby between Rowtonstall Wood on the east, Lacyland on the west, Erringden on the south, Fisherhouse on the north; after the death of Richard Horsfall, his father.
Duchy of Lancaster depositions in Farrar re Foxcroft case includes mention of “Horsfall mills – John Horsfall, Underbank in Stansfield”.
Documents archived at Calderdale Archives, Halifax, April 1760
Christopher Rawdon bought land from the Horsfall family of Underbank, which was probably the site or approximate site of the present Callis Mill.
Documents archived at Calderdale Archives, Halifax, 2nd September 1785
Christopher Rawdon the younger mortgaged Callice in Sowerby and “messuage or tenement called The Height or Callis Mill together with the Twining Mill standing at or near the same” to Elihu Dickinson of High Flatts in the parish of Penistone for £800 to be reduced with interest by 1795.
Wakefield Registry of Deeds 25th August 1786
Lease and release involving:
Christopher Rawdon of Halifax, merchant.
John Rawdon of Halifax, merchant.
Edward Elmsall late of Thornhill, now of Brierley Manor, parish of Felkirk
John Sykes of parish of Thornhill, gentleman.
“New erected mill on River Calder in Stansfield now used or intended to be used by Christopher Rawdon as a fulling and scribbling mill …”
Royal Exchange Insurance Policy no. 98928: 27th September 1786
Christopher and John Rawdon of Halifax, cloth manufacturers, mill, brick and stone, slated, in Stansfield, £800; utensils and stock in trade, £1200. Total £2000.
Documents archived at Calderdale Archives, Halifax, 1786
Christopher Rawdon and his brother John bought more land at Callis Mill and probably moved their business there shortly after.
Documents archived at Calderdale Archives, Halifax, 1787
Christopher Rawdon bought the messuage called Underbank.
Indenture 7th May 1779
Conveyance of freehold land and deed of covenant on copyhold messuage etc sold to WILLIAM DICKINSON and assignment of term to attend inheritance.
- ELIZABETH SMITH of Bingley, parish of Kildwick, widow and relict of WILLIAM SMITH, late Glusburn, inn keeper, deceased, and ELIZABETH SMITH of Bingley spinster daughter of William Smith.
- HENRY HORSFALL late of Studley, Langfield, now of Underbank, Stansfield, yeoman, (second son of JOHN HORSFALL of Studley, deceased)
- HENRY HORSFALL of Callice in Sowerby, stuff maker (nephew of said Henry Horsfall)
- BENJAMIN SMITH of Crosshills, yeoman, surviving executor of will of William Smith
- To ELIHU DICKINSON of High Flatts, parish of Penistone, tanner
- RICHARD SUTCLIFFE of Todmorden, gentleman
For £1,150 …
… And copyhold premises of Manor of Wakefield being one messuage in Sowerby called Callice and several closes of land belonging called Dam Holme, Callice Holme, Laithe Hill, Long Holme and new piece and one piece of woody ground adjoining same close called New Piece, and one other messuage standing above Callice called THE HEIGHT, or CALLICE MILL, with one turning mill at or near same and several closes belonging … adjoining River Calder, all last mentioned closes in the tenure of Henry Horsfall the nephew …
Documents archived at Calderdale Archives, Halifax, 1792
Agreement with William Sutcliffe of Stubbin, Erringden, for consideration of £150 to take out and divert water of the River Calder either above or opposite to Stubbin, and convey the water down to “The Pit” or “Fox Leap” near to the top of the dam of Bankfoot Mill, being the next mill below. The part of the mill built by Christopher Rawdon about this time was 3 storeys high and 3 bays wide, now incorporated in later extensions. Powered by water wheel. Dam at opposite side of river and water conveyed to mill by small aqueduct. Christopher Rawdon was a promoter of the Rochdale Canal. His sons, Christopher and James, went into the business.
From E.W.Watson’s notes.
Select Commission appointed for making the Rochdale Canal, and in their report it is stated that the company was
“not to take houses, gardens etc except … one cottage at or near Callis now or late belonging to Christopher Rawdon … or to cut or make any part of the said canal or other works within the distance of 200 yards from the dwelling house of Christopher Rawdon Esq. situate at Underbank … or through any part of the mill dams now occupied by Christopher Rawdon."
Wakefield Registry of Deeds, Underbank, 26th February 1793
… All that now erected messuage or mansion house wherein Christopher Rawdon did on 30th July last dwell, with the barns, stables, outbuildings and gardens, called Underbank in Stansfield, and dwelling house, tenement and barn and 3 other dwellings, also all that now erected mill for the purpose of milling worsted, it being 4 storeys high, with all the machinery, tackle, utensils and other things thereto belonging …
Royal Exchange Insurance Policy no. 148237: 21st November 1795
Christopher and John Rawdon of Underbank in Stansfield, merchants and manufacturers. Stone and slate mill used for scribbling and carding wool, and warehouse, counting house and offices under one roof, first class cotton risks, £1500; millwrights work including going gears, £200; clockmakers work including carding and breaking engines and moveable utensils, £1500; stock in trade in same, £1000; separate building used for drying woollen cloth only, £400; utensils and stock in trade therein, £300; building near used as spinning shop and dwellings for workmen, warranted no stove therein and no manufacturing process except spinning wool by hand only, £500; spinning billies and moveable utensils therein, £150; stock in trade in same, £50. Total £5,600. Premium £22. Void if any branch of cotton manufacturing carried on in above.
Royal Exchange Insurance Policy no. 155641: 16th March 1797
On buildings and goods as per previous policy, Total £5,600, premium £30.10s.0d.
Halifax Journal 1st April 1809
Christopher and James Rawdon & Co. Hebden Bridge have just imported some Portugal wool and were offering it for sale at their warehouse.
Christopher and James Rawdon & Co., merchant baize makers and worsted manufacturers.
Documents archived at Calderdale Archives, Halifax, 1815
Included in Christopher Rawdon’s list of properties were Callis Mill, dyehouse and warehouse, occupied by Christopher Rawdon.
C. & J. Rawdon, wool merchants
D. G. Ashworth & Co. worsted spinners.
D. & G. Ashworth & Co. merchants, Callis Mill
D. & G. Ashworth & Co. worsted spinners and manufacturers
Parson & White 1830
D. G. Ashworth & Co. Callis Mill, worsted and wool spinners & manufacturers.
David and George Ashworth & Co. Callis Mill and Hebden Bridge, worsted spinners and manufacturers and wool manufacturers.
Powerloom returns by Robert Barker 4th February 1836
Ashworth & Co. 36 wool and worsted powerlooms, employ 18. Average wages aged 18+ 6/6d to 10s. Not difficult to obtain labour.
David George Ashworth & Co. Callis Mill, Hebden Bridge, worsted spinners and manufacturers and wool manufacturers.
George Ashworth, Lacy House, aged 50, woollen manufacturer.
John Ashworth, Underbank Hall, aged 40, woollen manufacturer. (Has a son named Rawdon Ashworth)
George Ashworth, Callis Mill, Hebden Bridge, worsted spinners and manufacturers and wool manufacturers.
Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Almanac 10th March 1847
Charlestown Mill near Hebden Bridge burnt down.
Halifax Guardian 24th February 1848
To be let: Callis Mill and Underbank Hall. 50 horse waterpower, warehouse, dyeing and drying houses. The mill, which has recently been destroyed by fire, would be rebuilt together with powerloom sheds. Apply C. & J. Rawdon, Liverpool.
9th August 1849
Three men drowned in Callis Mill goit. Thomas Marshall, James Woodhead and Robert Sutcliffe were engaged with three other men, James Greenwood, James Hodgson and James Webster, in repairing the goit, and were working in 4 hour shifts. When the first 3 stopped work they went up the goit on an exploration journey, and were overtaken by a sudden rush of water through a flood happening in the Burnley Valley at Todmorden. When the water subsided their dead bodies were found in a boat, which they had been using for the purpose of exploring the goit.
Halifax Guardian 27th July 1850
To be sold 4th September 1850. Estates of Christopher and James Rawdon, including: Callis Mill (part recently destroyed by fire), 2 water wheels 27 feet diameter and 14 feet and 10 feet wide. 50hp.
Halifax Guardian 4th October 1851
To be sold by private contract. Property of Christopher and James Rawdon, including Callis Mill.
Halifax Guardian 18th September 1852
To be sold by auction 22nd September 1852 at Callis Mill near Hebden Bridge by order of Messrs. Rawdon the owners, dye pans etc (further details not recorded).
Stansfield Rates Book 1854
Callis Mill not listed
Stansfield Rates Book 1860
Owned and occupied by Lacy Bros; mill, power, new counting house and warehouse; Callis; rateable value £270.1s.0d.
Lacy Bros. cotton spinners and manufacturers.
Halifax Guardian 9th April 1864
Fire at Lacey’s mill at Charlestown in card room. No serious damage.
Lacy Bros. Callis Mills, cotton spinners & manufacturers
Lacy Bros. Hebden Bridge, (John Lacy house Underbank Hall, David Lacy house Stoodley Hall), cotton spinners and manufacturers.
Stansfield Rates Book 1867-78
Owned and occupied by Lacy Bros; mill, power; Callis; rateable value £499.17s.0d.
1868 – occupiers Lacy & Barritt, new loom shed rateable value £132.10s.0d.
1869-78 – part empty.
River Pollution Commission evidence 1869
Lacy Bros. cotton manufacturers, Callis Mill near Hebden Bridge.Our works are situated on the Calder. Employ 250 hands. Rateable value of works £700. The bed of the river has silted up 2 feet, caused by solid refuse turned into it. Our works are affected by floods. The river is polluted by solid and liquid refuse from manufactories and works; but not to a considerable extent by mines. Obtain supply of water from the river if the river, from which we might derive a supply of water, were rendered clear and colourless, it would be of considerable value to us, but are not able to fix the amount. Manufacture yearly 1,000,000lbs of goods of the value of £58,000. The whole of the liquid refuse produced at our works flows direct into the river. Use both steam and water as power, nominal 125hp. Consume yearly 2,000 tons of coals, the ashes from which are used to fill up hollow places. The excrements of our work people are collected in a tank and used for manure. We suggest that a law should be passed to prevent the pollution of rivers by solid and liquid refuse.
John Lacy, Underbank Hall, aged 34, retired cotton spinner.
Henry Lacy, Lacy House, aged 40, master cotton spinner employing 211 people.
Henry Lacy, Charlestown Mill, cotton spinners and manufacturers.
Lacy Bros. cotton spinners & manufacturers.
2nd August 1877
Lacy Bros, cotton spinners Callis Mill
Case heard before A. Ormerod , G. Hinchcliffe and T. Riley Esqrs. at Todmorden Town Hall
Neglecting to limewash within 14 months from date of the previous lime-washing
Penalty of £5 and costs of 8s
Halifax Guardian 21st September 1878
To let or sell. Callis Mill, Hebden Bridge; cotton spinning mill and weaving shed. Amongst other things, 10,500 mule spindles and 10,500 throstle spindles, and 500 looms, with steam engine, water wheel, reservoir etc. Managers house and numerous cottages. Particulars from Henry Lacy, present occupier, who is retiring.
Halifax Guardian 23rd November 1878
Auction 4th December on instructions from Henry Lacy who is leaving the neighbourhood, at Lacy House, Eastwood. Horses, cobs, ponies etc., also mare the property of John Lacy of Underbank Hall.
Halifax Guardian 18th January 1879
Callis Mill near Hebden Bridge.
Legal notice that whole of fixed or trade or moveable machinery, looms, plant etc. in the mill formerly occupied by Lacy Bros., now Mr. W. H. Sandbach carrying on business of cotton spinner there under the style of David Lacy & Co. are my property as trustee under the WILL OF DAVID LACY of Stoodley, deceased.
Signed JOHN FIELDEN OF DOBROYD CASTLE, Todmorden.
Halifax Courier 19th July 1879
Two or three main wheels at Callis Mill broken and operatives laid off for 2 to 3 weeks.
Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 1st August 1879
Callis Mill; 21,000 spindles and 400 looms working full time.
Halifax Courier 11th October 1879
W. L. Sandbach, Lacy Mill, further reduction of 5% in wages. (25% altogether).
Fielden papers 19th January 1880
Letter from Theodore Lodge to Mr. Hollinrake asking if Mr. Sandbach has paid his Christmas rent for Callis Mill, say £500?
Stansfield Rates Book 1880
Occupier David Lacy & Co; owners Lacy Bros; mill and power; Callis; rateable value £722.
Stansfield Rates Book 1881
Occupier David Lacy & Co; owners Lacy Bros; mill and power; Callis; rateable value £649.5s.0d.
Halifax Courier 26th May 1883
Machinery in Charlestown Mill sold by auction. Room has been let in shed for 250 looms.
Halifax Courier 2nd June 1883
Callis Mill has been closed some time, but a portion of it is to be set in motion.
Todmorden Advertiser 11th January 1884
Callis Mill to let. Capacity for over 20,000 spindles, also room & power for 200 looms. Particulars from John Mallinson, solicitor, Manchester, or Thomas Crabtree, auctioneer Water Street, Todmorden.
Todmorden Advertiser 1st February 1884
Wanted – a man as engineer and fireman at Callis Mill. Apply R. Tatham, Stoodley, Eastwood.
Stansfield Rates Book 1884
Occupied by David Lacy & Co; owners David Lacy executors; mill and 60hp steam, water power not used; Callis; rateable value £269.
Factory Act prosecutions 10th July 1884
William Sutcliffe – cotton manufacturer – Callis Mill
Case heard before Abraham Ormerod, G. Hinchcliffe and John Ingham
Employing 6 women after 5.30 p.m.
Penalties accepted in two cases, on Defendant’s promise to observe the act in future
Halifax Courier 1st November 1884
Flywheel at Callis Mill broken, closed one month for repairs.
Stansfield Rates Book 1885
Occupied by William Sutcliffe; owners Lacy Trust; mill and power; Callis; rateable value £166.15s.0d.
Halifax Courier 16th January 1886
Rumour that Charlestown Mill, which has been at a standstill since 1882, is to change hands. At present there are about 200 looms running at the place by William Sutcliffe.
William Sutcliffe, manufacturer of cotton goods.
Enoch Harrison & Co. cotton spinners and manufacturers
Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 20th May 1887
Harrison & Co. of CROW CARR INGS have been moving looms to the shed at Charlestown.
Stansfield Rates Book 1887
Occupied by Harrison & Co; owners Lacy Trust; mill and power, part of mill and waterpower unused, 1 engine dismantled; Callis; rateable value £338.10s.0d.
Stansfield rates Book 1888
Occupied by Harrison & Co; owners Lacy Trust; mill and power; Callis; rateable value £354.5s.0d.
Stansfield Rates Book 1890
Occupied by C. & C. Stansfield; owner John Fielden; dyeworks and power; Callis; rateable value £105.15s.0d.
Halifax Courier 17th January 1891
Accident to employee of Harrison & Co. Charlestown Mill, Todmorden.
Kelly 1893 and 1897
John Pearson, weaver
Charles Stansfield, dyer
Views and Reviews 1896
John Pearson, Callis Mill, weaving. Concern worked solely by John Pearson, now residing at Underbank Hall, formerly of Todmorden, is the outcome of a small weaving section at the JOINT STOCK MILL started in July 1866, consisting of 139 looms for calicoes brought by E. Harrison & Co. of Manchester and adapted by them to weave fancy goods. Managed throughout its development up to 430 looms by John Pearson during his 21 years of tenancy there, at which time his entire plant moved to Callis Mill, and a considerable number of looms replaced by new ones. On 30th September 1888, dissolution of the firm, and Mr. Pearson being the son of one of the partners took over the concern. It stands on 3 acres of land, plant driven by a pair of horizontal engines and water wheel.
John Pearson, fancy goods manufacturer.