Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
HOME
BAPTISMS
MARRIAGES
BURIALS
MI's
CENSUS
CHURCHES
PARISH RELIEF
PLACES
PEOPLE
MILLS & MINES
HISTORY
MAPS
PHOTO GALLERY
LINKS

 

BRIDGE ROYD MILL AND DYEWORKS

Spring Side

Halifax Road

Todmorden (Stansfield)

Map Ref. SD961248 [or 9]

Aerial view of the mill in 1986

 

1848

No building on map ref site on OS 6” map

Early references to the tan yard indicate it was situated at the original Bridge Royd House. When the railway was made, the house was demolished and rebuilt on the opposite side of the main road near to where the current dyeworks is situated. The current works were built in 1868.

 

Known occupiers

1791- after 1804

CROSSLEY Anthony

Pre 1794

GIBSON Abraham

WEBSTER William

1794-1805

HOLDSWORTH Daniel

1830-1836

ROBERTSHAW Abraham

ROBERTSHAW William

1847

SAUNDERS Thomas, (could be Sanderson)

1853

SUTCLIFFE Barker

1868-1881

SCHOLEFIELD Joshua & Sons

1887-1908

MOSS Bros.

Bridgeroyd Dyeing Co.

1902-1982

English Fustian Manufacturing Co. Ltd.

1982-current

M. Chapman and Sons (Textiles) Ltd

2004

Manufacturing ended. Buildings currently used for storing fustians.

 

Bridgeroyd Mill July 1898 after catastrophic fire

 

 

Further detailed information can be found on the

CHARLESTOWN HISTORY GROUP website

 

Additional information

researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade

Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group

 

Leeds Intelligencer 24th May 1791
To let. The millstead upon the River Calder in an estate called Brigg Royd in the valley of Todmorden on the turnpike from Halifax to Rochdale. The fall of water is upwards of 9 feet by which a suitable works may be wrought, and there is another stream in the estate sufficient for working 3 carding engines, which may be laid upon the wheel several yards higher than the river if necessary. J. Barker, Todmorden, millwright, will show premises. Owner Anthony Crossley, Ewood near Todmorden.

27th February 1792
To let. Tan Yard at Brigg Royd, with tan house, bark house, and all other conveniences plentifully supplied with the best of water. Also good messuage called Brigg Royd with convenient outbuildings at a suitable distance from the tan yard, and 9 closes of rich land contiguous thereto. Situated half way between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden adjoining the Burnley turnpike, and near line of intended canal from Sowerby Wharf to Manchester. The country abounding with wood and other advantages in the business of a tanner. Further particulars – Mr. Anthony Crossley of Ewood, near Todmorden, the owner, or of Mr. Robert Alcock of Mayroyd near Hebden Bridge, attorney at law.

Indenture 8th March 1794
Anthony Crossley of Ewood, Hundersfield in the Parish of Rochdale, Gentleman, and Thomas Turton late of Meanwood, Leeds; Josiah Holtham Esq. of York;

“concerning capital messuage, tenement, cottages, barns, outbuildings, tan yard, tan pitts, tan house, bark house, etc. called Brigg Royd in Stansfield, heretofore in the tenure of Abraham Gibson and since of William Webster but now in tenure of Daniel Holdsworth.”

The land belonging to above partly in Langfield and partly in Stansfield.

Valuation of Stansfield 1804
Brigg Royd; house, barn, bark mill, drying shades etc. Owner Anthony Crossley; occupier Daniel Holdsworth; 12 perches. Annual value £12.9s.0d.
Brigg Royd; Tan Yard; 21 perches; annual value 3s.6d.

Parson & White 1830
Bridge Royd, Abraham Robertshaw, cotton manufacturer

Pigot 1834
Bridge Royd, William Robertshaw, manufacturer of cotton goods.

Halifax Guardian 23rd January 1836
To be let; estate called Bridge Royd, Stansfield, with tan pits, dry houses, bark houses etc. Now in the occupation of Abraham Robertshaw or his under tenants.

White 1847
Thomas Saunders, dyers, Spring Vale.
(There was a Thomas Sanderson, dyer, in the area in 1841)

White 1853
Barker Sutcliffe, cotton spinners and manufacturers, Bridge Royd.

Stansfield Rates Book 1868-1884
New in 1868
Joshua Scholfield & Sons; dye works; Bridge Royd; rateable value £65.
1880 – re-valued £60.5s.0d.
1884 – additions to dye works, £6.10s.0d.

Kelly 1871
Joshua Scholfield & sons, dyers and finishers, Bridge Royd.

Slater 1875
Joshua Scholfield & sons, dyers and finishers, Spring Side (Bridge Royd)

Kelly 1877
Joshua Scholfield & sons, dyers and finishers, Spring Side (Bridge Royd)

Halifax Guardian 23rd February 1878
Fire at dye works at Eastwood, Joshua Scholfield and Sons (of Cornbrook, Manchester). Roof of dye house fell in and 200 pieces destroyed. Damage £2000 to £3000, insured.

Todmorden Advertiser 7th January 1887
Bridge Royd Dye Works taken some time ago by Moss Bros of Hebden Bridge has gone into work again. Repairs are going on and further extensions contemplated.

Stansfield Rates Books
1887-99
Owned and occupied by Bridgeroyd Dyeing Co; dyeworks; Bridge Royd; rateable value £180.
Abraham and Fred Moss, house – Brunswick Street, Hebden Bridge.
James Moss, house – Pleasant Villa, Hangingroyd Road, Hebden Bridge.
Mortimer Moss, house – Nutclough, Hebden Bridge.
1887 – additions to dye works £87.10s.0d.
1893 – additions to dye works £164.15s.0d.
1895 – additions to dye works and power £23.15s.0d.

Industries of Yorkshire 1890
Moss Bros. Hebden Bridge, Market Street, Brunswick Street and Bridge Royd, manufacturers of fustian, corduroy, moleskins etc. Established about 1867 by Mr. H. Moss. Twelve or thirteen years ago firm’s works were at Hebble End between the canal and the River Calder. Nine years ago they moved to present premises.

Kelly 1893
Moss Bros. Brunswick Street and Bridge Royd, fustian manufacturers.

White 1894-95
Moss Bros. Brunswick Street and Bridge Royd, fustian manufacturers

Kelly 1897
Moss Bros. Brunswick Street and Bridge Royd, dyers and finishers, fustian manufacturers.

Kelly 1908
Moss Bros Ltd. fustian dyers and finishers

 

"