Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
HOME
BAPTISMS
MARRIAGES
BURIALS
MI's
CENSUS
CHURCHES
PARISH RELIEF
PLACES
PEOPLE
MILLS & MINES
HISTORY
MAPS
PHOTO GALLERY
LINKS

 

BAREWISE MILL

Burnley Road

Todmorden

 

Map Ref. SD 916256

 

Known occupiers

 

pre 1804-1870

BARKER John

BARKER Josiah

BARKER William

BARKER Ormerod

 

1873-1880

Barewise Mill Co.Ltd.

1878

HOWARTH John

1879

LORD Edward

SUTCLIFFE John

1880

GREENWOOD Thomas

1881

Empty

1893

Dilapidated

Demolished pre 1907

 

Notes from John Travis, contemporary historian

(written about 1900)

 

Higher up, on the left hand side of the road stood Barewise Mill, with the master’s house and some cottages in the mill yard. This mill was run by waterpower from the tail-goit of Frieldhurst Mill above Ingbottom. The business at Barewise was started by a forebear of the Barkers of Cross-lee, and was run by later generations of Barkers as a spinning and manufacturing concern. The family was one of the oldest in the district, and Mr. Barker was a prosperous “putter out” of materials for home weaving. Barewise Mill was afterwards noted unenviably for the bad luck, which attended it, the premises being burnt out two or three times in the course of a few years. The mill was rebuilt and enlarged after each outbreak, and steam power was added to its resources. Its chimney was noted as being one of the finest in the district, its position being just under the Eagle’s Crag. The founders were John William and Josiah Barker of Cross Leigh and the Owlers. Under the three sons one of the original founders who came into possession of the business, the concern went from bad to worse, and the final stroke came with the great Burnley-road flood of 1870. The river arch in front being washed away, with a considerable portion of the land in front of the mill, and after some years the property was sold, and partially dismantled, the Towneleys of Towneley Hall, the new owners, dismantling the mill, and leaving it in its present forlorn-looking condition.

 

Additional information

mainly researched, recorded and referenced by Mrs Sheila Wade

Hebden Bridge WEA Local History Group

 

“Cornholme, a Border Village” by Winnie Marshall, 1984

John Barker of Barewise Mill and Abraham Ormerod rode to Manchester and back until sometime after the railway opened in 1841. Mr. Barker (or Bishop Jack) retired, and having no sons he left the firm in his brother and partner’s hands. There is very little left today of the buildings, but the outline of a wall or two and the remains of the goits. A large hole was left when the river arch collapsed, the foundation having been damaged in 1870 by floodwater and never repaired. During the flood 10 years later part of the mill and shed fell into the River Calder.

Dean’s Manchester Directory 1804

J. Barker, fustian, Todmorden, attending Manchester markets.

1813

John Barker, Barewise Mill, mentioned in accounts book of Jeremiah Jackson

Pigot & Deane 1824-25

John Barker & son, Barewise, cotton spinners and manufacturers

Baines 1825

John Barker & son, Barewise, cotton spinners and manufacturers.

Bradford and Huddersfield Courier 11th January 1827

Fire. Value of property £10,000; 600 hands out of work. Mill insured for £3,000. Mill of Barker & Sons, Knotts, near Todmorden, cotton factory.

Parson and White 1830

John and William Barker, Barewise, cotton spinners and manufacturers.

1832

John Barker of Barewise was a trustee for the Cragg Turnpike Trust.

Halifax and Huddersfield Express 15th December 1832

John and William Barker; Barewise Mill Stansfield; bankrupt 24th February 1832.

The Manchester Times and Gazette Saturday, March 10, 1832

Bankrupts

Barker, John and Barker William, of Barewise Mill, Halifax, Yorkshire, and Todmorden, Walsden, Lancashire, cotton spinners.

Pigot 1834

John and William Barker, Barewise, cotton spinners and manufacturers.

Stansfield Rates Book 1835-36

John and Mrs. Barker; Barewise Mill; part of factory; rateable value £2.1s.6d.

Power loom returns by Robert Barker 4th February 1836

J. & W. Barker, 22 cotton power looms, employ 11 people, average wages aged 12 to 18, 8s. to 8s.6d; aged 18 plus, 8s.6d. to 9s. No difficulty obtaining labour.

List of Todmorden voters 30th July 1842

John Barker living at Barewise Mill, freehold land, mill and buildings, Barewise Mill.

William Barker living at Barewise Mill, freehold land, mill and buildings, Barewise Mill.

Josiah Barker living at Cross Lee, Stansfield, freehold land, mill and buildings, Barewise Mill.

White 1842 and 1843

John and William Barker, Barewise, cotton spinners and manufacturers

White 1847

John and William Barker, Barewise, cotton spinners and manufacturers.

Census 1851

Barewise Mill

William Barker, cotton spinner and manufacturer

John Barker, cotton spinner and manufacturer.

Manchester Times Wednesday, January 26, 1853

Partnerships dissolved

J. Barker and W. Barker, Barewise, Lancashire, cotton spinners.

White 1853

William Barker & son, Barewise, cotton spinners and manufacturers.

Stansfield Rates Book 1854-60

William Barker & son; part of mill etc; Barewise; rateable value £36.

Todmorden Rates Book 1860-62

Occupied by William Barker & sons; owners John and William Barker; cotton mill; Barewise; rateable value £253.19s.2d.

Kelly 1861

William Barker & son, Barewise, cotton spinners and manufacturers.

Todmorden Rates Book 1863-65

Occupied by J. & O. Barker; owned by J. & O. Barker; cotton mill; Barewise; rateable value £253.19s.2d.

White 1866

John & Ormerod Barker, Barewise, cotton spinners and manufacturers.

Todmorden Rates Book 1866-68

Occupied by J. & O. Barker; owned by J. & O. Barker; mill and power; Barewise; rateable value £230.2s.0d; part empty.

Stansfield Rates Book 1867-70

J. & O. Barker; part of mill etc; Barewise; rateable value £29.3s.2d.

Todmorden Rates Book 1869-71

Empty; owned by executors of Ormerod Barker; mill and power; Barewise; rateable value £230.2s.0d.

Halifax Guardian 16th July 1870

Goit of Barewise Mill burst in two places. Mill not been working for some time. Erected over the brook.

Stansfield Rates Book 1871

Ormerod Barker; bankruptcy; unoccupied; Barewise.

Halifax Guardian 13th April 1872

Auction 30th April

Stone built Barewise Mills near Todmorden with weaving sheds, reservoirs, goits, waterfall, waterwheels, steam engines, engine and boiler house, gas works, size works, mechanics shop, warehouse, office, and other out buildings. Late the property and in occupation of Messrs. Barker. Waterpower estimated at 28hp and steam engines at 42hp. Area 21,123 square yards.

The Leeds Mercury Tuesday, April 23, 1872

Sale by auction

Valuable Freehold Estates, Mills, Weaving Shed, Messuages, Lands, Building plots, Cottages and Premises, at Barewise.

Lot 1.

All those stone built mills called Barewise Mills, situate near Todmorden aforesaid, with the weaving sheds, reservoirs, goits, waterfall, waterwheels, steam engines, engine and boiler houses, gas works, size works, mechanics shop, warehouses, offices and other outbuildings; gearing, shafting, gas, steam, and water piping; weighing machine, and fixtures, late the property and in the occupation of Messrs. Barker. Also an excellent messuage or dwelling house and 2 cottages, adjoining the said mills, in the occupation of Mr. Barker and others, with the barn, shippon, plantation, garden and outbuildings thereto belonging.

The property is conveniently situate within 2 miles from the town of Todmorden, and adjoins the turnpike road leading thence to Burnley. The tenure is freehold, except the site of the gasworks, which is held under a lease, dated 21st April 1848, for the residue of a term of 999 years, and will be sold subject to the small apportioned yearly rent of £2-18s-4d. The mills are very substantially built and in good repair. The waterpower is estimated at 28, and the steam engines at 42 horses power.

The premises comprise an area of 21,123 square yards or thereabouts, and are well adapted for carrying on a cotton spinning and manufacturing business in all its branches in a most advantageous manner.

N.B. The mill contains spinning machinery of 8,558 spindles, with the requisite preparation; and 158 power looms, with sizing machinery. All this excellent machinery will be sold shortly after the sale of the mills. A plan of Barewise Mills and estate showing the several lots may be inspected on application at the respective offices of the vendors’ solicitors.

 

Halifax Guardian 4th May 1872

Barewise Mill withdrawn from sale.

Halifax Guardian 6th July 1872

Auction 24th July

Barewise Mill, Lydgate, formerly occupied by J. and O. Barker, cotton spinners. Cotton machinery, preparing and 8558 spindles for throstle and mule spinning; 158 power looms; sizing machinery; 1 44 inch cotton opener with down draught and single beater lap machine attached, by Lord Bros; 1 44 inch double beater scutcher with down draught by Lord Bros; 1 lap machine for 48 inch cards with 3 beaters and down draught; 11 double carding engines 48 inches on wire, 36 inch cylinder by Lord Bros; 1 single carding engine 48 inches on wire 48 inch cylinder; 6 drawing frames, 3 heads to each, single deliveries or traverse motion, by Lord Bros; grinding frame for 48 inch cards; 2 slubbing frames 72 and 118 spindles with long collars, 10 inch lift, single centrifugal press by Mason; 6 roving frames, 120, 116 and 88 spindles y Mason and Lord Bros; 18 throstle frames, 204 spindles by Lord Bros; 4 pairs self acting mules, 984 spindles each by Parr, Curtis and Madeley; 60 calico looms 42 inch reed space by Lord Bros; 94 calico looms 36 and 32 inch reed space by R. Stansfield; winding engines 96 spindles and 120 spindles; 118 yards warping mill with 400 eye heck by J. Berry; drawing and slubbing cane; sizing boxes and tubs; vertical warp drying machine with 16 x 12 foot cylinders; contents of mechanics shop.

Stansfield Poor Rates 1873-78

Owned and occupied by Barewise Mill Co. Ltd; part of mill; Barewise; rateable value £29.3s.2d. part empty.

Todmorden Rates Book 1873-79

Owned and occupied by Barewise Mill Co. Ltd; mill and power; Barewise; rateable value £230.2s.0d.

Slater 1875

Barewise Mill Company Ltd. dyers and finishers.

Kelly 1877

Barewise Mill Company Ltd. dyers and finishers.

Halifax Guardian 25th May 1878

Petition for liquidation, John Howarth of Barewise Mill, cotton manufacturer. Liabilities £1365.

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 1st August 1879

Barewise Mill, John Sutcliffe, 42 looms, working full time.

Barewise Mill, Edward Lord, 44 looms, working full time.

Stansfield Poor Rates 1880-81

Empty; owned by Barewise Mill Co. Ltd; bankrupt; no assets; re-valued £16.15s.0d.

Todmorden Rates Book 1880

Empty; owned by Barewise Mill Co. Ltd; mill and power; Barewise; rateable value £282.15s.0d; bankrupt; no assets.

Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser 31st December 1880

Flood 29th December at Barewise. Considerable part of the mill and shed fell into the river. It was said that part of the foundations of the river arch under the mill were damaged by the great flood of 1870 and never repaired. Only part is tenanted – the second floor, by Thomas Greenwood, joiner and builder.

Halifax Guardian 1st January 1881

A portion of the old mill at Barewise, 11 yards square and 3 storeys, fell. Thomas Greenwood, joiner, used part of the mill, but he moved his goods in time.

Stansfield Poor Rates 1893

Dilapidated

2nd May 1896

The operation of felling a chimney was witnessed by a crowd of people at the old mill at Barewise, Burnley Valley, formerly worked by Messrs. Barker Bros. Cotton manufacturers. The chimney was 135ft. high and estimated to weigh about 350 tons. The work of demolishing the chimney was placed in the hands of Mr. William Helliwell, of Apsley Terrace, Kings Cross, Halifax, who brought down the old structure in a most successful manner.

 

"