Friedens Cemetery, St. Louis County, MO
The cemetery is located on N. B'way [Broadway], near the Seven-Mile House, according to a 1897 list of St. Louis Cemeteries. The cemetery has not moved but today its address is 8941 N. Broadway near Riverview Dr. at the city boundary. thic address is ar Bellefontaine Rd. just south of Bellefontaine Neighbors. The cemetery was founded in 1862 by the Friedens Evang. Church. In an 1872 list of St. Louis cemeteries, Friedens Cemetery is called Evangelical Friedens Grave Yard with an address "near Six Mile House on Bellefontaine Rd.".
The Frieden's Evangelical Church was founded in 1858 as a German congregation. The congregation first met in the Fairmont Presbyterian Church at 9th and Penrose Sts. The first Friedens church building was erected in 1861 at the southwest corner of 19th and Newhouse in the Hyde Park area. It was a red brick building in a Gothic style. St. James Evangelical Church at 1505 East College Ave was organized in 1869 as a branch of Frieden's Church. A parsonage and office was built in 1902. The second and present building for Friedens Evang. Church was built in 1907-08 in the English perpendicular Gothic style. It sustained damage in the 1927 tornado but was rebuilt and rededicated in 1928. It has an 80-foot tower.
The cemetery has the following graves related to our genealogy: The (-3G), etc., indicates the number of generations before Erven Thoma.
Go to the Home Page Go to the Main Ancestor Chart Go to the Localities Index
Created Sat. 29 May 2004. Updated on 17 Jun. 2006 by Erven Thoma