Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION

These observations pertain to the following family line:

NAME

DATE AND PLACE OF BIRTH

DATE AND PLACE OF DEATH

Johann Michel Huth

1692

Engelstadt

The Palatinate

April 1738

Engelstadt

The Palatinate

Johann Jacob Huth

1719

Engelstadt

The Palatinate

Est. 1769

Rowan (Yadkin) County

North Carolina

Jacob Hoots

Abt. 1745

Surry (Forsyth) County

North Carolina

Abt. 1801

Rowan (Yadkin) County

North Carolina

Daniel Hoots

Abt. 1785

Surry (Yadkin) County

North Carolina

Abt. 1844

Surry (Yadkin) County

North Carolina

John Hoots

21 February 1812

Surry (Yadkin) County

North Carolina

30 October 1872

Yadkin County

North Carolina

Henry Franklin Hoots

21 May 1865

Yadkin County

North Carolina

26 November 1948

Yadkin County

North Carolina

Lutheran Affiliation

Johann Michel and Johann Jacob Huth's confirmations and marriages, and the birth and death of Johann's daughter, are in the records of the Engelstadt Evangelische Kirche (Evangelical Lutheran Church) in Engelstadt, Germany.

In History of North Carolina Baptists (1), George W. Paschal writes of the the Germans of western North Carolina..."Much more numerous than the Moravians were the German settlers of this region who belonged to the Lutheran church and the German Reformed church. Nearly all of these Germans had first settled in Pennsylvania, and finding lands difficult to procure there had come to North Carolina...Another group, according to Bernheim (2), '...arranged themselves on the vacant lands to the eastward and westward of the Yadkin River, whilst the Scotch-Irish from the same Province in Pennsylvania, who had always lived on friendly terms with their German neighbors in Pennsylvania, soon followed them southward, and occupied vacant lands to the westward of the German settlers.' (the Germans) first came about the year 1750 and continued to come for several years...speaking the German language, with enough education to read Dr. Luther's Bible and the songs of the German Union Hymn-Book...At first they were all Lutherans, but later,...assimilating their religious views to those of their English neighbors, became what were first known as German Reformed and later simply as Reformed. They did not bring ministers with them, but sermons and prayers were usually read on Sundays by their German school teacher...(or) some self appointed missionary...For a long time these German settlements suffered for want of ministers of the right kind. It was not until the period between 1770 and 1775 that their churches were organized, but before 1776 they numbered a full score. Until well after the year 1800, they continued to use the variety of German called 'Pennsylvania Dutch,' and on that account they were not to be reached by evangelists...who spoke only English."

Johann Jacob Huth came to America in 1743 and the writer believes that he initially lived in the German "Muddy Creek Settlement" in what is now Winston-Salem, North Carolina. After the Moravians arrived in the area in 1753 he associated with Moravian families there and also after he and his family moved in about 1762 to the Deep Creek area of what is now Yadkin County. During the 1760's there are several notations in the Moravian history about Brethren going to the Deep Creek area to preach, especially at the homes of George Lang, Frederick Shore, and the Hauser family. Since they were all friends and neighbors of Jacob, and it is noted that other denominations were invited, it seems that the Hoots family probably attended some of those services.

Alice Brumfield, in "History of the Benjamin Shore Family," says "The religious life of the South Deep Creek area had a slow beginning. Around 1773, Brother George Soelle, a Moravian missionary, began his missionary trips through the Deep Creek section, which he continued until his death in 1773. Soelle said 'The people about here are wild. The Rieses (Frederick Shore's wife was Barbara Reis), the Langs, and the Millers are the only Germans hereabouts who care for religion.' There is reference made in the Moravian Records (7) to the fact that one of the Moravian Elders spent the night at the home of Fredrich Schorr, 'So many gathered for preaching that the house was crowded and some had to stand. After the noon meal Simon Grosse took me to Fredrich Schorr's where we spent the night.'"

However, the Hoots family's formal affiliation probably remained with the Lutheran Church because Johann Jacob's great-grandson, Jacob Hoots II, was baptized in 1793 in the Heidelberg Evangelical Lutheran Church of Dutchman Creek near Mocksville, Davie County, North Carolina. The distance from the Hoots farm to the "Old Heidelberg Church" was about 15 miles, and all-day services were held once a month. It is probable that the Hoots family attended services there until they switched over to the Baptist faith. The following item is in Carl Hoots' book (3): "In the minutes of the Old Heidelberg Lutheran Church of Dutchman Creek, written in German, there is recorded 'Jacob Huth born 13 May 1793, baptized 15 August; parents Jacob Huth and wife Magdelin. Sponsors Heinrick Kahl and wife Elizabeth.'" The father is Johann Jacob Huth's great-grandson, Jacob Hoots, II, through Jacob Hoots and Jacob Hoots, Jr. The mother is Mary (Polly) Magdalina Carver. Heinrick Kahl is mentioned in Jacob's will as Henry Caul.

In October 1999 the writer attempted to find out why "Henry Caul" was in Jacob Hoots' will. With the help of some "Caul" (correct name Heinrich Kahl) descendants it was concluded that Henry was a good friend of Jacob Hoots, Jr., and may have lived with the Hoots family for a time. The writer also found that Henry's sister, Eve Call, was probably the writer's great-great-great half-aunt through marriage to a Garner whose descendant married Benjamin Hoots' half-sister Ila Mae Hoots.

The writer later received correspondence from Mr. Ron Booe (4) concerning the "Heidelberg Settlement" and the "Heidelberg Evangelical Lutheran Church." In the 1700's, the church was a log structure, known locally as the "Old Dutch Meeting House." It is not known when the congregation formally organized, but the records date back as far as 1776 (one account says that the original log church was burned by the Indians in 1765(10)). The last service at the church took place around 1860. The leather-bound record book of the church still exists and is on display in the Lutheran Church Museum in Salisbury, North Carolina. Entries in the book were initially written in German (translated by the late Theodore Buerhaum of Salibury, NC) and later in English. The church is gone but vestiges of the settlement remain, including the foundation stones of the church and the untended church cemetery. One of the gravestones contains the inscription "Adam Gaul was born 9 December 1758 departed this life November 21, 1800." Adam Gaul was Henry Caul's brother. Mr. Booe notes "The other remaining Heidelberg artifact is the ancient weathervane, which is said to have been sent from Germany to be placed on top of the Heidelberg Evangelical Lutheran Church steeple. It is in the traditional form of a cock, a reminder of Peter's denial of Christ and thus a warning to others not to follow his example. It is displayed in the Rowan County Museum in Salisbury, North Carolina."

To reach the Old Heidelberg settlement site from Yadkinville, take Route 601 south through Mocksville to Route 64. Go west to Cornatzer Road - turn left - go about one mile to Homer Potts Road - cemetery is at the left on a knoll. The granite gateposts remain and a few gravestones are still legible.

Baptist Affiliation

In the late 1600's, the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Colonies were under strong Quaker influence. As the Quakers were tolerant of other religions, many Baptists of England and Wales who were being persecuted under the Presbyterian establishment fled to those Colonies. A basic cause of the persecution was the Baptist's opposition to serving the State, for which they were deemed enemies of society. This policy was refuted by the Baptists in America, which cleared the way for the church's expansion. The first Baptist Church in America was founded in Pennsylvania in 1684. In 1703 a Baptist church, pastor and all, came to America from Pembrokeshire, Wales, and settled in "The Welsh Tract" on the Delaware River. The latter church "...was the principal if not the sole means of introducing singing, imposition of hands, church covenant, etc., among the Baptists of the Middle States." (5)

In 1760, a small group from the Deep River Baptist Church in what is now Randolph County, North Carolina, was constituted to establish a church on Little River in what is now Montgomery County, North Carolina. They were headed by a minister named Joseph Murphy, born in 1734, who was originally from Spotsylvania County, Virginia.

In The Heritage of Yadkin County (6), it is written that the Shallow Ford Baptist Church, about six miles from the Hoots farm, was active by 1769. The Heritage also notes that the Moravian Records (7) reveal the presence of Baptist people in the Shallow Ford vicinity as early as 1770. At one time, the Yadkin area churches belonged to the Strawberry Association, founded in 1776 in Lynchburg, Virginia. They later affiliated with The Yadkin Baptist Association, formed out of the Strawberry Association in the late 1780's and organized as an independent body on 28 August 1790.

By 1781, Murphy and other Baptist ministers had established the Sandy Creek (Baptist) Association, which included several churches in the Yadkin area. (Note: The Sandy Creek Baptist Church was in Randolph County) They were members of a faction of the Baptist church called "Separates." This name derived from the withdrawal of the "New Lights" from the Congregational Churches of England after the Great Awakening. The Reverend Shubal Stears is claimed by Baptist historians to have led the Separate New Light movement into the southern colonies. From Murphy's settlement at Sandy Creek, North Carolina, the movement spread in all directions throughout the South. In the early 1790's the Association had twelve churches, one of which was the Deep Creek Church, in what is now Yadkin County, pastored by Elder Joseph Murphy. According to Paschal..."The churches of the Sandy Creek Association had some beliefs and practices peculiar to themselves in the early years, some of which they retained for more than a quarter of a century. In the first year they held to the so-called nine Christian rites; namely, baptism, the Lord's supper, love-feasts, laying-on of hands, washing feet, anointing the sick, right hand of fellowship, kiss of charity, devoting of children; and had ruling elders, elderesses, deaconesses, and weekly communion...We are not, however, to infer that ruling elders and laying on of hands were peculiar to the Separate Baptists. An article on the laying on of hands is one of the American additions in the Philadelphia Confession, being due to the strong Welsh influence."

What is now the Deep Creek Baptist Church in Yadkin County started in 1772 as Murphy's Meeting House. Elder Joseph Murphy pastored the church until his death at age 82 in 1816. The original congregation practiced "foot washing" but that element formed a separate church in 1835 (8). Until 1883, services were conducted periodically as "camp meetings" held in an outdoor area across from the present church. The congregation came on horseback, in buggies and wagons and stayed all day for preaching, socializing, and community meals. A church was built on the present site in 1884, with Henry Franklin Hoots (Frank) and his first wife, Genette, as charter members. The present church building was built in 1970.

It is the writer's conjecture that some time between 1793, when Jacob Hoots II was baptized in the Old Heidelberg Lutheran Church, and 1884, when Frank Hoots became a member of the Deep Creek Baptist Church, that Daniel or John Hoots started attending the Baptist church, possibly the Shallow Ford church or Murphy's Meeting House. If that is not the case, the changeover may have been influenced by Frank's wife Gennette, descended from William Henry Allgood who was of Welsh stock (9). Frank's second wife, Polly, was a pillar of the Deep Creek Baptist Church and raised her children as Baptists.

Written by Dad Hoots (Webmaster)

Footnotes:

(1) "History of North Carolina Baptists," George W. Paschal, The General Board, Raleigh,

NC, Library of Congress Call Number (LCCN) BX6248.N8P3, 1955. This book was referred to the writer by Mary Meyer (meyerma@webtv.net), Bryan, TX.

(2) Bernheim, "German Settlements in North Carolina"

(3) Hoots, Carl C., "Descendants of Jacob Hoots," 1991, privately published, Yadkinville, NC, LCCN CS71.H78691990

(4) E-mail from Ron Booe (CBOOE@yadtel.net) of Davie County, North Carolina,

30 March 2000.

(5) "History of the Baptist Churches in the United States," Newman. This book is referred to in an E-mail from Mary Meyer (meyerma@webtv.net), Bryan, TX. The writer has been unable to find it in the Library of Congress.

(6) "The Heritage of Yadkin County," Yadkin County Historical Society, Yadkinville, NC, 1981, Hunter Publishing Company, Winston-Salem, NC

(7) Fries, Adelaide L., "Records of the Moravians in North Carolina," Edwards and Broughton Printing Co, 11 volumes (6209 p.), LCCN F265.M7F75 1922

(8) The Deep Creek Primitive Baptist Church, Smithtown, NC

(9) Allgood, Bertie Shore, "Shore Family Records and a Genealogy of the Descendants of Friedrich and Margaret Schnieder Schorr, born 1706, Muttenz, Switzerland, and William Henry and Sarah Royal Allgood, born 1757, Nunwick, Northumberland, Wales," privately published, 1970.

(10) Brawley, James S., "Davie is wealthy in Land, History," Salisbury Post, p.4, 18 March 1956

Dad Hoots, Webmaster


The Standard Family History || An Alternate Family History,

Standard Family Tree || Alternate Family Tree || Rootsweb Family Tree (under construction)

Religious Affiliations || Jacob Hoots' Will

Do Some Research

Contact the Webmaster