A few records of Creek Indian reserves and improvements
(Last updated July 27, 2003)
Below are a few small miscellaneous lists of Creek Indian reserves and
improvements to their reserves in the East and the West.
According to the Treaty of March 24, 1832 every head of a Creek family (according the the 1832 Census) could select a one-half section of land to be reserved from sale for their use for five years, unless sooner disposed of by them. These reserves could be conveyed (sold) to any other persons for a fair consideration. At the end of five years, all the Creeks entitled to these selections, and desirous of remaining, could receive patents, from the United States.
In the lists of reserves below the town, number, and name are the same as on the 1832 Census. The letter followed by three numbers is the legal description (location) of the reserve; whether the reserve is in the North/South/East/West part of a section, the section, the township, and the range. A ledger listing all the individual reserves; the Indian's name, legal description of reserve, and to whom sold, can be found on Oklahoma Historical Society microfilm, rolls CRN 1 and 2.
- A letter from John Crowell to Lewis Cass regarding upcoming emigration and reserves, Oct. 6, 1832.
- A letter from Richard Hannum to Elbert Herring regarding Creek reserves, May 14, 1833.
- A letter from Leonard Tarrant to Elbert Herring regarding Creek reserves, May 15, 1833.
- A record of the Creek Chiefs giving Chilly McIntosh and Robert Tiger power of attorney to sell 5 sections of land in the east, April 17, 1833. A deed conveying the 5 sections of land from Chilly McIntosh and Robert Tiger to Benjamin Hawkins and John Milton, July 1833.
- A letter J. J. Abert to Lewis Cass regarding the purchasing of Creek reserves, May 18, 1833.
- A letter from J. Bright concerning reservations and multiple wives, Sept. 5, 1834.
- A list of 44 Creek Indians who were entitled to reservations in Alabama and who have died, Oct. 22, 1834.
- A list of 86 Creek Indian reserves sold, dated April 20, 1841.
- A list of 42 Creek Indian reserves sold, dated May 25, 1842
- A list of 25 Creek Indian reserves, sale approved July 7, 1842. See also this letter, Dec. 19, 1853.
- A list of 41 Creek Indian reserves, sale approved Oct. 14, 1842.
- A list of 9 Creek Indian reserves sold in late November 1842.
- A report concerning 185 unsold Creek reserves, House Doc. 66, 1848.