*Mary Montague's ancestor Peter Montague arrived in Jamestown, VA in 1621 aboard the ship "Charles".
Excerpt from http://www.rootsweb.com/~vameckle/bi0agreg.htm
James Gregory married 1st Mary Montague (b. ca. 1763 in N. C.) in Granville Co., N. C. Mar. 17, 1790, surety Young Montague. She was the daughter of Latane Montague. She died Aug. 24,, 1800 in Mecklenburg Co., Va. 2nd marriage to Sarah Doggett Oct. 1, 1801 in Mecklenburg Co. James died about 1805. Court records for Oct. 1813 in Mecklenburg Co. shows that Elijah Gregory was guardian of Latney Gregory and Sarah Gregory. Daniel S. Gregory was guardian of Andrew and Polly Gregory orphans of James Gregory deceased. Children by Mary Montague:
- 1. Latane Montague Gregory (b. Sept. 1, 1793) married Susan S. Jeffries Dec. 16, 1839' in Mecklenburg Co. Latney was married previously, as a death notice in the Richmond Enquirer, July 25, 1825 gives notice of the on June 30, in Mecklenburg of his son, John Swepson Gregory in the 2nd year of his age. Mother of the child not named.
- 2. Andrew Gregory (b. Aug. 12, 1795)
- 3. Martha (Patsy) Gregory (b. July 10, 1790 in Granville Co. N. C.) married Stephen Roberts (b. 1783) Aug. 30, 1810 in Mecklenburg Co., Va. He was the son of Thomas and Johanna Hatchell Roberts, Jr. She died ca. 1845 and he died ca. June 1852 and are buried in Hardin Co. Tenn. Children:
- (1) Mary A. Roberts (b. 1811) in Mecklenburg Co. m. James Russell
- (2) Elizabeth G. Roberts (b. Mar. 8, 1813) in Meck. Co. Married Enoch Hiram Autry. Died Feb. 26, 1884 in Alcorn Co., Miss.
- (3) Richard Henry Roberts (b. Apr. 21, 1815) in Meck. Co. married Judieth E. Thompson Dec. 14, 1837 in Hardin Co. Tenn. Died March 4, 1874 in Counce, Hardin Co. Tenn
- (4) James Thomas Roberts (b. Mar. 29, 1817) in Meck. Co. Married Sarah Emaline Canfield Sept. 20, 1840 in Tish Co., Ms. Died Nov. 24, 1851 in Counce, Hardin Co., Tenn
- (5) Martha L. Roberts (b. Aug. 7, 1851) in Meck Co. Married William R. Barnett. She died Nov. 22, 1851 in Hardin Co., Tenn.
- (6) David Alexander Roberts (b. 1821) in Mecklenburg Co. Married Susan E. Stubblefield and he died April 6, 1862 in Battle of Shiloh, Hardin Co. Tenn.
- 4. Frances Gregory (b. July 14, 1792) married Jesse Barnett She died before 1850 in Hardin Co. Tenn.
- 5. Sarah (Sally) Gregory (b. Jan. 29, 1798) in Lunenburg Co Married Major Robertson Dec. 21. 1818 in Mecklenburg Co. She died Jan. 1850 in Hardin Co. Tenn.
- 6. Mary (Polly) Young Gregory (b. Aug. 24, 1800) in Lunenburg Co. and Joseph Norwood May 28, 1840 in Meck. Co. She died May 16, 1887 in Mecklenburg Co.
- 7. Nancy Gregory was the daughter by Sarah Doggett. She married Bird L. Dodson Feb. 22, 1826.