Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
bar

home
Eelman
Eierland
emigration
links
marriages
Stark
search

The villages of the island Texel

Nowadays there are seven villages on the island of Texel. The main place is Den Burg. The other places are Den Hoorn, De Koog, Oosterend, De Waal, De Cocksdorp and Oudeschild. De Cocksdorp is the youngest one, built at the time of the reclamation of Eierland (1836). Oudeschild is also relatively new, started in the 17th century. De Westen was once the most important place of the island, but now there is not much left.

From 1556 until the French Revolution the local government of Texel consisted of seven aldermen and four mayors. The villages Den Burg, De Waal, Oosterend and De Westen all had their own mayor. Two aldermen came from Den Burg, one from De Waal, one from Oosterend, one from De Westen, one from Den Hoorn and one from De Koog.

On December the 31th of 1829, Texel had 4460 residents. Sources of the 17th and 18th century are indicating that the size of the population was not changing much between 1622 and 1830.

bar
Oosterend

Oosterend consisted of four parts: the town of Oosterend, and the little places Oost, Zevenhuizen and Nieuweschild. Nowadays you will not find Nieuweschild anymore. It was situated on the coast. Almost all the inhabitants had maritime occupations. When the shipping of Texel went down in the nineteenth century, Nieuweschild disappeared.

The following list was made for the "personele quotisatie", a kind of taxes:

    Residents of Nieuweschild, 1742
    Meijndert Visser, pilot, 4 persons
    Cornelis Knaap, pilot, 1 person
    Cornelis Bruijn, sailor, 3 persons
    widow of Leendert Willemsz, her son a sailor, 2 persons
    Jacob Gerrits, brewer and pilot, 3 persons
    Jan Jager, "kaagschipper", 3 persons
    Elmer Jacobsz Brouwer, pilot, 5 persons
    Gerrit Vlas, "kaagschipper", 4 persons, 1 maid
    Willem Jacobsz Brouwer, sailor, 4 persons
    Maarten Brouwer, carpenter, 1 person
    widow of Leendert Nanse, a little shop, 1 person
    Michiel Kleijnenberg, sailor, 5 persons
    Jan D. Boekje, sailor, 2 persons
    Maarten Jager, "kaagschipper", 5 persons, 1 servant
    Pieter Gerrits Burger, pilot, 5 persons
    Jan D. Leeuw, sailor, 4 persons
    Pieter Pieters Burger, pilot, 8 persons
    Cornelis Burger, pilot, 3 persons
    widow of Jacob Dirkse Kuijper, has a little shop, 3 persons
    widow of Jan Zijtze, seamstress, 2 persons
    Claas Groot, pilot, 3 persons
    Hendrik Groot, pilot, 1 person
    Jacob Dogger, pilot, 6 persons
    Zaijkom Dogger, sailor, 2 persons
    Maarten van de Kamp, sailor, 3 persons
    Teunis Hendriks Stark, carpenter, 3 persons
    Tijs Bremer, sailor, 2 persons
    Pieter Brouwer, pilot, 6 persons
    Cornelis Gerrits Brouwer, pilot, 4 persons, 1 maid
    Jan IJsbrantsz Brouwer, pilot, 2 persons
    Cornelis Cornelis Brouwer, pilot, 3 persons
    Willem Leendertse, pilot, 3 persons
    Jan Eede, "kaagschipper", 4 persons
    Trijn Leenderts, 2 person
    Jan Knaap, sailor, 3 persons
    widow of Jan Gerrits Burger, "tapt genever", 2 persons
    Teunis Brouwer, pilot, 6 persons
    Maarten Vos, sailor, 5 persons
    Cornelis Dirkse de Leeuw, pilot, 5 persons

bar
Oudeschild

The village Oudeschild originated in the seventeenth century. Amsterdam was in those days the most important harbor of the world, but the town did not have direct access to the North Sea. All ships from Amsterdam first sailed to Texel. There they waited for the right wind to sail away, and the ships also loaded fresh water from the wells near Oudeschild. Many strangers visited Oudeschild, and some of them settled down in the village. Nowadays the Texel fishing ships can be found in the harbor of Oudeschild.


postcard of Oudeschild in the beginning of the twentieth century

Updated 23 December 2001

bar
Miriam Klaassen