Johannes "John" Kieler (1800-1882)
Barbara (Kieler) Uthe (1836-1917)
Mathilda (Uthe) Schumacher (1865-1897)
Anna (Schumacher) Gerken (1895-1967)
Joan (Gerken) Larson (1926-1994)
Thomas Larson (1962-)
Researched and written by
Joseph Uthe (1867-1900) was a brother of my great-grandmother Mathilda (Uthe) Schumacher. Joseph Uthe married Christina Brandt (1872-?). Joseph and Christina Uthe lived at Dickeyville, Wisconsin.
Joseph and Christina (Brandt) Uthe
Joseph Uthe was born in April 1867 in Wisconsin, son of Frank and Barbara (Kieler) Uthe. Joseph Uthe married Christina Maria Brandt on May 16, 1893, in Grant County, Wisconsin. Christina Brandt was born in February 1872, daughter of George Franz "Frank" and Catherine Brandt.* Joseph and Christina Uthe resided in Paris Township, Grant County, Wisconsin. According to the 1900 U.S. Census, the Uthe household consisted of Joseph, age 33; Christina, his wife, age 28; daughter Eleanora (who was called "Nora"), age 4; daughter Anna, age 3; son Raymond, age 1; and Joseph's brother, Charles Uthe, age 31.
* = Catherine Brandt's maiden name is transcribed as Trike and Jeike for two documents on familysearch.org.
Joseph Uthe died on October 4, 1900, at the age of 33 years, 5 months, and 6 days. He was buried in the Holy Ghost church cemetery at Dickeyville, Wisconsin.
One more child, Joseph F. Uthe, was born after his father's death, in February 1901; the son Joseph Uthe died later that year in November.
Circa 1903, Christina Uthe moved her family to Elgin, Iowa, in Plymouth County, where they lived with her brother, Joseph Brandt. In 1930, Christina Uthe was living in Sioux City, Iowa, in the household of her son-in-law and daughter, John P. and Anna Jarman.
Children of Joseph and Christina (Brandt) Uthe:
- Eleanora "Nora" Barbara Uthe was born on June 7, 1895*, in Wisconsin, daughter of Joseph and Christina (Brandt) Uthe. Nora's father died when she was 5 years old, and circa 1903, Nora subsequently moved with her family to Elgin, Plymouth County, Iowa, where they resided with her mother's brother, Joseph Brandt.
* = SSDI lists her birth as June 7, 1895; online California Death Records list her birth as June 3, 1895.
Nora Uthe married Walter William Scott on January 20, 1920, in Plymouth County, Iowa. Walter Scott was born on May 4, 1894, in Dover Township, Fayette County, Iowa, son of Edmond Thomas and Mary Elizabeth (Jones) Scott. In 1910 the Scott family was living in Clermont Township, Fayette County, Iowa. In 1917, Walter Scott was working as a locomotive fireman for the Great Northern Railroad out of Sioux City, Iowa, in Woodbury County; his listed residence was the Rutland Hotel, Sioux City, for his World War I draft registration card.
Walter and Nora Scott had a child, Lorraine M. Scott, who was born January 4, 1922, in Woodbury County, Iowa. Circa 1924, Walter and Nora Scott moved to Minnehaha County, South Dakota, at Sioux Falls, where in 1925 the state census gave Walter's occupation was given as a railroad engineer and also cited his past military service in the 54th Engineer Corps. By 1930, the Scott family was living in Willmar, Kandiyohi County, Minnesota.
By 1940, Walter and Nora Scott were divorced, and Nora and their child Lorraine were living in Sioux City, Iowa, where Nora was working as a maid in a ready to wear department store.
Walter W. Scott died on September 12, 1958, in Montpelier, Bear Lake County, Idaho
Nora Scott, 95, died on May 4, 1991, with a last residence of Tarzana, Los Angeles County, California. At some point, Nora had undoubtedly moved to California with--or to be with--her daughter Lorraine, who herself died in Los Angeles County, California, on September 29, 1982; her married name was Waugh.
- Anna C. Uthe was born on February 13, 1897, in Wisconsin, daughter of Joseph and Christina (Brandt) Uthe. Anna's father died when she was 3 years old, and Anna subsequently moved with her family to Elgin, Iowa, where they resided with her mother's brother, Joseph Brandt. Anna Uthe married John Patrick Jarman on February 3, 1917, in Woodbury County, Iowa. John Jarman was born November 11, 1895, in Antelope County, Nebraska, son of Richard and Margaret "Maggie" (Rotherham) Jarman, of Neligh, Antelope County, Nebraska, and later Sioux City, Iowa.
John and Anna Jarman lived at Sioux City, Iowa. In 1917, John was working as a lard runner Armour & Co. In 1930, John was working as a truck driver for a creamery, and Anna was working as a laborer for a creamery.
John Jarman died in November 1965. Anna Jarman died May 29, 1993, with a last residence of Sioux City, Iowa. They were buried in Calvary Cemetery at Sioux City, Woodbury County, Iowa.
Children of John P. and Anna C. (Uthe) Jarman:
- Wallace J. Jarman was born on May 2, 1918, in Elgin Township, Plymouth County, Iowa, son of John P. and Anna C. (Uthe) Jarman.* Wallace Jarman was the oldest of eight children. At the age of 18, Wally enlisted as a radioman in the U.S. Navy. When the country entered World War II, he took the opportunity to become an aviation cadet in the newly formed Army Air Corps. It was during this time that he met Dorothy Sue Daugherty, whom he later married in 1943.
* = place of birth according to Iowa county records; an obituary gives his place of birth as Ireton, Iowa, which is located in Reading Township, Sioux County, just to the northwest of Elgin Township.
After earning his pilot's wings, Wally Jarman was stationed in England and flew numerous bombing missions over Germany. He returned home highly decorated and continued a career of military service by joining the United States Air Force. He retired in Colorado Springs in 1972.
Col. Wallace J. Jarman, 91, passed away on May 21, 2009 in Colorado Springs, Colorado. He was 91 years old. Private services were held at First United Methodist Church.
He was survived by his wife of 66 years, Dorothy Sue; a daughter, Jane A. Williams, of Colorado Springs, Colo.; a granddaughter, Carlyn Sue Williams, of Boulder, Colo.; a brother, John Jarman, of Souix City, Ia.; and numerous nieces and nephews.
- Genevieve Jarman was born on August 10, 1919, at Sergeant Bluff, Woodbury County, Iowa, daughter of John P. and Anna C. (Uthe) Jarman. She graduated from Central High School. Genevieve Jarman married Arnold William Karrer on March 4, 1939, in Sioux City, Iowa. Arnold Karrer was born on October 4, 1917, in Iowa, son of Fred and Florence (Angove) Karrer.
* = place of birth according to Iowa county records; an obituary gives her place of birth as Sioux City, Iowa, which is located north of Sergeant Bluff in Woodbury County.
In 1940, according to that year's census, Arnold and Genevieve were living in Sioux City, Iowa, and Arnold was working as an attendant at a garage, while Genevieve was working as a clerk in a candy shop.
Genevieve Karrer owned and operated the Dairy Queen on the corner of Highway 75 and Leech Avenue below Wilson Trailer for 27 years. She was a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church. Genevieve loved spending time with her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Arnold W. Karrer died on June 4, 1978. He was buried in Calvary Cemetery in Sioux City, Iowa.
Genevieve Ruth Karrer, 89, of South Sioux City, Nebraska, died Friday, October 24, 2008, at Matneys Colonial Manor in South Sioux City. Funeral
services were held at 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, October 29, at Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Sioux City, Iowa, with the Rev. Merlin Schrad officiating. Burial was in Calvary Cemetery in Sioux City. Visitation was from 4 to 8 p.m., Tuesday, October 28, with the family present from 6 to 8 p.m., and a vigil service at 7 p.m., at Meyer Brothers Colonial Chapel in Sioux City.
She was survived by a son, Donald (Judy) Karrer, of Sioux City, Ia.; two brothers, Wallace (Sue) Karrer, of Colorado Springs, Colo., and John (Madonna) of Sioux City, Ia.; two grandchildren, Don W. (Cindy) Karrer, and Nick W. (Katy) Karrer; five great-grandchildren, Kramer, Brenna, William, Lilly and Chad; and many nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her husband; a daughter, Betty Lou; three sons, as infants; twin brothers, Ronald and Donald; and three sisters, Alice, Ann, and Christine.
- Ronald Frank Jarman* was born on February 7, 1921, at Sioux City, Woodbury County, Iowa, son of John P. and Anna C. (Uthe) Jarman, and twin of Donald.
* = middle name was Thomas as recorded in Iowa County Births.
Ronald Jarman died on November 20, 1993, in Orange County, California.
- Donald Francis Jarman was born on February 7, 1921, at Sioux City, Woodbury County, Iowa, son of John P. and Anna C. (Uthe) Jarman, and twin of Ronald.
Donald Jarman married Maxine M. [Thorpe/Ryan?] on August 27, 1967, in Los Angeles, California. She was born on March 2, 1918.
Donald Jarman died on November 8, 1992, in Los Angeles County, California. He was buried in Rose Hills Memorial Park, Whittier, Los Angeles County
Maxine M. Jarman died on August 1, 2004. She was buried in Rose Hills Memorial Park, Whittier, Los Angeles County, California.
- Christina Jarman was born circa 1923-24, in Iowa, daughter of John P. and Anna C. (Uthe) Jarman.
- Alice Jarman was born on December 21, 1924, in Woodbury County, Iowa, daughter of of John P. and Anna C. (Uthe) Jarman. Alice and Anna were twins.
Alice Jarman died on February 26, 1925, at Sioux City, Woodbury, Iowa.
- Anna Jarman was born on December 21, 1924, in Woodbury County, Iowa, daughter of John P. and Anna C. (Uthe) Jarman. Anna and Alice were twins.
- John Patrick Jarman, Jr., was born in 1926, in Woodbury County, Iowa, son of John P. and Anna C. (Uthe) Jarman.
- Raymond Raphael Uthe was born on August 16, 1898, in Wisconsin, son of Joseph and Christina (Brandt) Uthe. Raymond's father died when he was 2 years old, and Raymond subsequently moved with his family to Elgin, Iowa, where they resided with his mother's brother, Joseph Brandt.
Raymond Uthe of Belle, Califormia, a mill worker, married Georgia Evelyn Preece, of Huntington Park, California, a sales lady, on May 13, 1928, in Anaheim, California. The marriage was officiated by the Rev. Charles E. Mainsaum, rector of St. Michael's Church. Georgia was previously in a marriage that ended in divorce.
Georgia Preece was born on January 30, 1901, in Texas, daughter of James Benton and Helena "Lena" Lee (McGrew) Preece. The 1940 U.S. Census has Raymond and Georgia Uthe living in San Antonio, Los Angeles County, California. Raymond's occupation was given as mail superintendent.
Georgia Uthe, 85, died on January 9, 1987, with a last residence of Huntington Park, Los Angeles County, California. Raymond R. Uthe, 90, died on June 21, 1989, with a last residence of Huntington Park, Los Angeles County, California. They were buried in Rose Hills Memorial Park at Whittier in Los Angeles County, California.
- Joseph F. Uthe was born February 23, 1901, son of of Joseph and Christina (Brandt) Uthe. He was born four and a half months after the death of his father. Joseph Uthe died on November 25, 1901, at the age of nine months and two days. He was buried in Holy Ghost Church Cemetery in Dickeyville, Wisconsin, and shares the same grave marker with his father.
Sources include online documents at familysearch.org/hr/search; Dave Halm's "Haverhill, Marshall County, Iowa; Menominee, JoDaviess Co. Illinois; Grant Co. Wisconsin: Kreis Lingen, Hanover, plus more" online genealogies at http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=haverhill_iowa; the Rootsweb.com Social Security Death Index (SSDI), online at http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/; and other sources as noted within the text.
The Kieler · Uthe · Schumacher Heritage - contents page
Last revised February 16, 2015.
Comments, inquiries, or
information to share?