Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
McPherson Lot
GAR Post 117
Homewood Cemetery
Pittsburgh PA

On May 1 1897, The Homewood Cemetery officially donated 5374 square feet in Section 26, Lot 12, for the use of all Allegheny County Grand Army of the Republic Posts, although the area seems to have been set aside earlier for veteran burials with the records, showing an interment as early as 1886. Ten Civil War cannons line the section, with chains stretched between, which, for mowing purposes, are frequently not seen in place. The cannons are marked: Post No. 117 G.A.R. 1887.
Memorial Day Beginnings by Marilyn Evert


View 1

View 2

View 3

Photos 03/23/2001 ~ JTMcA



CW Tombstone Photographs CW Tombstone Inscriptions Virtual Home Page



Copyright 2001 ~ 2008 Tom and Nancy McAdams
Update March 11, 2008

"