Joel Ernest "Mac" Horne  2 3 4
- Born: December 28, 1890, Dubois, Dodge, Georgia, USA
- Marriage: Susie Cleo Sapp  on October 27, 1912 in , Pulaski, Georgia, USA 1
- Died: October 10, 1969, Eastman, Dodge, Georgia, USA at age 78
- Buried: Dubois, Dodge, Georgia, USA
In a Dodge County Newspaper clippings typed here by David Talbot (Have printed copy) Thursday, July 28, 1910
Mr. OLL Hubbard Accidentally Killed.
Play with pistol results in death of one and injury of another. Mr. OLL Hubbard was shot and instantly killed at the home of *Mrs. M. E. Horne, near Dubois, Wednesday afternoon, and Dewey, the son of Mrs. Horne, was painfully wounded as the result of "pranking" with a pistol under the impression that it was not loaded. It is said that Mr. Hubbard and Mr. Ernest Horne were on the back porch and that Mr. Hubbard, who owned a new improved Smith & Wesson pistol, was handling the same. As Mrs. Horne passed by he placed the pistol to his left breast and told her to pull the trigger. Mrs. Horne made some reply to the effect that he had better put up the pistol and quit playing with it, and passed on. Hubbard then turned to Mr. Ernest Horne and told him to pull the trigger, still holding the pistol to his left breast. Ernest owns and old style Smith & Wesson pistol that revolves to the right, and not thinking but what Hubbard's pistol worked the same way, he glanced hastily at the left side of the pistol and seeing no cartridges in it, pulled the trigger, Thinking it would revolve to the right and snap on and empty chamber. To his horror, however, the pistol fired, the bullet going entirely through the body of Hubbard and striking Dewey Horne who was behind Hubbard, in the right hip. Hubbard died almost instantly, the ball evidently passing directly through his heart. Dewey Horne is painfully wounded, but is not thought that his injuries are serious. Mr. Hubbard was about 22 years of age and married, his wife being the daughter of Mr. Wiley Holder of that vicinity. Mr. Ernest Horn is the son of *Mrs. M. E. Horne and is about 20 years of age and unmarried. It is said that he and Mr. Hubbard were bosom companions and that not the slightest unpleasantness had ever existed between them. Mr. Horn is grief-stricken over the sad affair.
*Mary Emma (Jump) Horne
Rueal and Kathleen Jump owned a small wooden grocery store alongside the highway [from Cochran to Eastman] in Dubois. They lived in a large white house behind the store on what is now United Methodist Church Road [the road that turns off from the Cochran/Eastman road to the Methodist & Baptist Churches]. My [Marie] father, Ernest Joel Horne, bought the small store from Uncle Rueal when I was very young and later when Aunt Kathleen & Uncle Rueal had died, we moved into the big white house. My father built a brick store across the road when I was very young [we lived there for some years, until the 1960's] and moved the small grocery store behind the brick store where it stayed for some years. Later it was moved to its present location. The small wooden grocery store building is still in Dubois alongside the house my father built some years later. My father had the big white house moved about 200 yards down the road, that led to the churches, where it stayed until it was finally torn down sometime in the late 70's or early 80's. We lived in the big white house all through my school years at Dodge High School. I remember Uncle Rueal and Aunt Kathleen, especially Aunt Kathleen who had what would now be diagnosed as Alzheimer's or dementia. My father would take food across the road to them in the white house. As an aside, I remember the day Aunt Kathleen undressed and walked off down the road and my father had to go get her and bring her home.
Antioch Baptist Cemetery #1, this Cemetery is located off of Antioch Church Rd. Take Friendship UMC Rd. off of Rt. 23 in Dubois. Follow it down about 3 to 4 miles Friendship UMC Rd. turns into Antioch Church Rd.
Noted events in his life were:
• Death Certificate: #028959 , Dodge County, Georgia.
• Georgia Deaths, 1919-98. Name: Joel E Horne Death Date: 10 Oct 1969 County of Death: Dodge Gender: M Race: W Age: 79 years County of Residence: Dodge Certificate: 028959
• Master Mason: Member of Royal Accadian Lodge.
• Occupation: Farmer and Store Keeper.
• Picture: Ernest Horne and Sons. L/R Front row: Charles and David. Back row: Ernest, Herman, Benjamin and Freeman (FL)
• Picture: Ernest Joel Horne home. Ernest Joel Horne & Cleo Susie (Sapp) Horne home built in early 1960 in the place were the old home was in Dubois, Dodge County Georgia.
• Picture: Ernest Joel Horne old store in Dubois, Dodge County Georgia.
• Picture: Ernest Joel Horne.
• Picture: Susie Cleo (Sapp) Horne & Ernest Joel Horne.
• Picture: Susie Cleo (Sapp) Horne and Ernest Joel Horne. According to my mother, Ernest has a toothpick in his mouth and a Coke-Cola bottal between his legs.
• Religion: Baptist.
• Social Security Information:. Name: Joel Horne SSN: 260-30-5328 Last Residence: 31026 Cochran, Bleckley, Georgia, United States of America Born: 28 Dec 1890 Died: Oct 1969 State (Year) SSN issued: Georgia (Before 1951 )
• World War II: worked in Ordinance during WWII in Warner Robins Georgia.
• Census: Georgia 1900 Dodge All Townships Eddins District 31 Image 25, June 25, 1900. Dwelling 211 Family 214
Joel Horne (38), Mary (Wife) (33), Olice (14), Malissie (13), Mary (12), Ernest (9), Emma (7), Mamie (3), Horace (2), Mary (1)
Census Place: Eddins, Dodge, Georgia; Roll: T623 192;
Enumeration District: 31.
• Census: Georgia 1910 Dodge Other Townships Eddins District 56 Image 17, May 10, 1910. Dwelling 147 Family 147
Listed Mary (Head) (48), Olice Oscar (24), Joel (19), Emma (18), Mamie (14), Horace Dewey (12), Alice Allene (10), Zona Cetcher (9), Beatrice (8), Josie R. (6),
• Census: Georgia 1920 Dodge Eddins District 15 Image 15, January 15, 1920. Dwelling 147 Family148
Listed is Joel (Head) (29), Susie (Wife) (20), Herman (5), Oro (2), Allene Sister (18) and Beatrice (Sister) (17)
• Census: Georgia 1930 Dodge Eddins District 8 Image 18, April 14, 1930. Dwelling 122 Family 141
Joel (Head) (40), Susie (Wife) (30), Herman (15), Oro (12), F.L. (10) David (6)
Census Place: Eddins, Dodge, Georgia;
Enumeration District: 8;
• Picture: Head stone for Ernest Joel Horne: Dubois, Dodge, Georgia, USA. Antioch Church, Dubois, Dodge County, Georgia
Taken January 2, 2004
• Picture: Head Stone of Joel & Susie Horne.
• Picture: Joel Ernest & Ernestine Horne.
• Obituary: Joel Ernest Horne.
Joel married Susie Cleo Sapp  [MRIN: 1940], daughter of David Wilson Sapp  and Isabella "Isobell Isabay Isababe" Holder , on October 27, 1912 in , Pulaski, Georgia, USA.1 (Susie Cleo Sapp  was born on September 9, 1899 in , Dodge, Georgia, USA, died on July 12, 1981 in Cochran, Bleckley, Georgia, USA and was buried on July 14, 1981 in Dubois, Dodge, Georgia, USA.)
Married by Wesley Covey
? Martin Coney, J. P.