BRITTON, Robert Leo Jr.
- Born: 16 Aug 1956, Tyler, Smith County, Texas, USA
- Died: 28 Mar 2011, Tyler, Smith County, Texas, USA at age 54
- Buried: Cathedral in the Pines Cemetery, Tyler, Smith, Texas, USA
Noted events in his life were:
- His obituary was published in the Tyler Morning Telegraph, Tyler, Smith, Texas, USA. 1 Services for Robert Leo Britton, Jr., 54, Tyler, will be held on Saturday, April 2, 2011 at 2:00 PM at Rose Heights Church in Tyler, with Rev. Milton Gardner officiating.
Burial will follow at Cathedral in the Pines Cemetery under the direction of Stewart Family Funeral Home.
Officer Britton passed away March 28, 2011 at East Texas Medical Center in Tyler.
He was born August 16, 1956 in Tyler to Robert Leo and Billie Ruth Carter Britton. He was of the Baptist faith.
Officer Britton began his career in law enforcement at an early age. After graduating high school he worked for the Smith County Jail. He later went to work for the FBI in Washington DC and then for the Arlington Police Department. Robert dedicated nineteen years to the Smith County Sheriff's Office. Robert loved his work at the Sheriff's Office and also his overtime work at East Texas Medical Center. When he wasn't at work, he enjoyed spending time with his family and friends. He had a passion for telling stories and was known to call his daughter in the middle of the night to tell a joke so as not to forget it.
Robert was preceded in death by his mother, grandparents; sister-in-law, Vicki Britton; and his father and mother-in-law, Olin and Frances Buck.
He is survived by his loving family including his children, Kelli Britton and Kris Britton both of Tyler; his children's mother, Marsha Britton of Tyler; father, Leo Britton, Sr. and step-mother Vivian Britton of Tyler; brothers, Fred Murphy Britton of Ft. Worth and Robert A. Britton of Tyler; brother-in-law, James Buck of Arlington; sister-in-law, Nancy Buck of Arlington; and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.
Pallbearers will be B.J. Williams, Toby Hughes, Gary Hinshaw, Rod Langlinais, Brooks Adams, and Daniel Leon.
Honorary pallbearers will be the Smith County Sheriff's Office Patrol Division 50.
Visitation is scheduled from 6:00 \endash 8:00 PM on Friday, April 1, 2011 at Stewart Family Funeral Home, 7525 Old Jacksonville Hwy., Tyler, Texas 75703.
- Newspaper article: 1 Deputy Sheriff Robert Britton succumbed to injuries sustained four days earlier when he was attacked by an injured cow while directing traffic around the animal.
He had responded to the scene after a vehicle struck and injured the cow on Farm Road 344. As he directed traffic around the animal it charged him and knocked him into the air. He landed on his head and suffered severe head injuries. The cow continued attacking him until other deputies were able to pull him to safety.
Deputy Britton was transported to East Texas Medical Center where he remained until succumbing to his injuries.
Deputy Britton had served with the Smith County Sheriff's Office for 19 years. He is survived by his two children.