NEWTON, Ebenezer Buchanan
- Born: 28 Sep 1779, Cleveland, North Carolina
- Marriage: RUTHERFORD, Eleanor on 23 Mar 1803 in , Rutherford County, North Carolina, USA
- Died: Between 1861 and 1863, , Rutherford County, North Carolina, USA
Noted events in his life were:
- Land Grant: 1 Filed on April 15, 1799, page 254, book 10/11, State of North Carolina, Grant to Ebenezer B. Newton:
To all to whom these presents shall come greeting. Know ye that we for and in consideration of the sum of fifty Shillings for every hundred acres lying and being in our County of Rutherford; On waters of Maple Creek. Begining at a post oak on Isaac White's line - thence with line south twenty-eith rods to --(can't make out the wording) Deed was signed on December 23, 1798.
- Land Grant: 1 Entered into record on April 17, 1799, page 256, book 10/11 state of North Carolina grant to Ebenezer Newton: One hundred acres lying and being in our County of Rutherford, on the waters of Maple Creek beginning at a post oak of Ebenezer Newton's land thence--Deed goes on and on........
Signed by Ebenezer (his X mark) and also signed by the Government, this 11th day of December in the 22 year of our Independence and in the year of our Lord, 1797.[Actually 21 years and not 22 as stated.]
- 1810 he appeared as Ebenezer Newton, HOH on the census in , Rutherford County, North Carolina, USA. 2 Males:
1 --under 10 - Wm.Should be 6 & James should be 3
2 --10-thru 15 (don't know who this would be)
1 --16 thru 25 - Ebenezer would be 31
1 --under 10 - Aubrey should be 5
1 --10 thru 15 -Margaret would be abt 10
1 --16 thru 25 - Eleanor would be abt. 29
- 10 Sep 1850 he appeared as Ebenezer Newton, age 71, HOH, farmer, Real estate value $500, born in Macon Co., NC on the census in Deep Creek, Macon County, North Carolina, USA. 3 Household #398
Ebenezer Newton, age 71, HOH, farmer, Real estate value $500, born in Macon Co., NC, also listed is his wife, Eleanor Newton, age 69, born in Virginia
Household #399 is their dauhter's family:
Edmonston Shular, age 29, farmer, born in Haywood Co, NC
Margaret Shular, age 29, born in Macon County, NC
Kizziah Shular, age 4, born in Macon County, NC
Geo. E., Shular, age 3, born in Macon County, NC
Wm. T. Shular, age 1, born in Macon Cunty, NC
Household #400 is their son & family:
Solomon Newton, age 39, farmer, Real Estate value $200, born in Rutherford, NC
Kizzah Newton, age 40, born in Burke County, NC
Mary Newton, age 18, born in Macon County, NC
Narcissa Newton, age 17, female, born in Macon County, NC
Surran Newton, age 14, female, born in Macon County, NC
Issac Newton, age 12, born in Macon County, NC
William Newton, age 12, born in Macon County, NC
Ebert S. Newton, age 4, male, born in Macon County, NC
Eleanor Newton, age 6, female, born in Macon County, NC
Ebenezer G. Newton, age 3, born in Macon County, NC
Household # 401 is another son:
William Newton, age 46, laborer, Real Estate value $50, born in Rutherford Co., NC; also listed is Massey Campbell, age 55 female, born in Rutherford Co., NC
Household #403 is Absalum & Rhoda Cline family, both born in Burke Co., NC
and their children born in Macon County, NC
Household #404 is Jesse, (born in Lincoln Co.) & Adaline(born in Burke Co.) Cline family, children born in Macon. Jesse's brother, William Cline is living with them, age 31, laborer, born in Burke Co., NC
- He signed a will. 4 Copied from the old Jackson County, NC Courthouse Record, pg.63, December Term, 1860. Last Will and Testament of Ebenezer B. Newton provide in common form. Se minutes of this term: In the name of God Amen!
I, Ebenezer Newton, in the County of JFackson, in the state of North Carolina, being of sound and perfect mind and memory at this time, thanks to God, I do make and publish this my last will and testament, in common form following, that is to say: I will and devise that all my stock of hogs and cattle be sold by my executor herin and here-to-fore mentioned. After all my just debts are poaid, I will the same to be divided equally between William Newton, Aubrey Shuler-the wife of John Shuler, Jr., James Newton, Margaret Shuler, the wife of Edmonston Shuler. I also will to the heirs of John Newton one dollar, and to Solomon Newton one dollar, and to Samuel Newton one dollar. And I do hereby nominate, constitute, and appoint Mark Coleman executor of this my last will and testament.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal. This 7th day of March, in the year of our lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty-nin (1859).
his Ebe Newton X Seal mark
I certify the foregoing to be a correct copy of papers provided in open court, in common form, to be the last will and testament of Ebe Newton. Signed by the court clerk.
[He died in the fall of 1861]
Note: As you can see Solomon Newton and Samuel Newton only received one dollar. John Newton had already died before the will was made. Ebebezer B. Newton had only received one dollar from his father's William Newton, will.
married Eleanor RUTHERFORD on 23 Mar 1803 in , Rutherford County, North Carolina, USA. (Eleanor RUTHERFORD was born between 1776 and 1781 in , , Virginia, USA and died in 1863.)