Cline, Daniel & Newton - Military
Listed below are members of the Cline, Daniel and Newton Family members who we believe served during the respective wars/conflicts. We welcome additional information or pictures of these individuals. I will be adding others as time permits. It is my desire to honor these that have served our country through our military in war time and also in peace time, and may God Bless those that are continuing to serve in our military today.
"War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..." Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864
* Those that paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom with their life.
Civil War 1861-1865
Over 600,000 men gave their lives for their country in this war. http://www.civilwar.com/ This Civil War divided families, churches and states, this link details some of this. http://www.civilwarhome.com/potpourr.htm From this same link, there are many interesting links, such as “Conscription (Military Draft)”, "Abolition and Religion" and "Casualties In The Civil War"
- George W. Cline - abt 1824-1894, son of David A. Cline and Mary Conrad.
- Jesse Abel Cline - abt 1915, NC - Oct 1861, Manassas, Virginia, son of David A. Cline and Mary Conrad
- *David Anthony Cline abt 1814, NC - Jan 28, 1865, Tennessee, son of David A. Cline and Mary Conrad
World War I 1914 - 1918
Over 70 million military personnel were mobilized in the largest war in history. There were three draft registrations, which included all men residing in the U.S. -- whether native born, naturalized, or alien -- between the ages of 18 and 45. Click here for a list of our family members that registered(pdf).
Family members that served during World War I include:
- William Walker "Bill" Cline son of Robert Lee Cline & Ida Daniel
Margaret "Maggie" Cline
daughter of George K. Martin Cline & Margaret Schenck,
for Margaret's letter from France transcribed by Larry Hayer and provided for the website by Tara Mancini
For more World War I information see:
World War II 1939 - 1945
WW II was a global military conflict that, in terms of lives lost and material destruction, was the most devastating war in human history. For additional information see:
Family members who served during World War II include:
- *Billy Joe Daniel - Oct 2, 1922, Oklahoma - Aug 25, 1945, France, son of Francis Marion & Mary Daniel
- *Carlnell Osburn Daniel - May 25, 1915, Oklahoma - 1945, Belgium, son of Francis Marion & Mary Daniel
- *Charlie Roscoe Deweese, Jr. - Sep 27, 1918, Texas - Apr 6, 1945, Germany, son of Mary Ellen Daniel & Charlie Deweese, Sr.
- *Thomas J. Fallin - May 6, 1920, Texas - Feb 28, 1945, Germany, son-in-law of Winnie & Elijah Keller
- Herbert Ross Caudle 1910 - 1989, son of Jessie Isabelle Daniel & Lee Ross Caudle
- Jarvis Daniel Caudle , son of Jessie Isabelle Daniel & Lee Ross Caudle
- David W. Cline 1923 - 2000, son of Mary McFadden & Daniel Walker "Buddy" Cline
- Everett Cecil Cline - Jan 17, 1910 - April 19, 1961, son of David A."Antny" & Martha Cline
- William Leonard Cline - Apr 21, 1907 - Jan 3, 1973, son of George W. "Spake" & Fannie Cline
- Claude Chism - 1909 - 1970, son-in-law of George W. "Spake" & Fannie Cline
- Charles Morrow Daniel 1914 - 1997, son of Mary Daughtery & Francis Marion Daniel
- Thomas Hunley Daniel - 1921 - 1974, son of Hunley & Lottie Daniel
- Jerry Curtis Daniel 1924 - 1986, son of Lottie Hall & Hunley Martin Daniel
- Hunley Elbert Deweese 1909 - 1983 grandson of Mary Arbelle Williams and William Martin Daniel
- Mack "Mackie" Harris 1920 - 2011, son of Pearl Cline & Noah Harris
- Woodrow Harris 1916 - 1979, son of Pearl Cline & Noah Harris
- Herman D. Hemphill - great grandson of Martha Witherspoon & William C. Cline
- Ozro Lee Kolb 1900 - 1977, grandson of "Hattie" Daniel & James B. Keller
- Roy Land 1912 - 1985, son of Milton T. Land and Annie Mae Cline
- Ira Thor Riley - 1925 -2006, gr. grandson of Martha Frances Daniel & Daniel B.Taylor
Korean Conflict 1950 - 1953
The Korean War refers to a period of military conflict between North Korea (officially the Democratic People's Republic of Korea) and South Korea (officially the Republic of Korea) regimes, with major hostilities lasting from June 25, 1950 until the armistice signed on July 27, 1953. Additional resources include:
Family members who served during Korean Conflict include:
Vernon Lee Riley -1930 - 2004 gr. grandson of Martha Frances Daniel & Daniel B.Taylor
Vietnam War 1959 - 1975
The Vietnam War was the longest military conflict in U.S. history. For additional information:
Family members who served during Vietnam War include: