The Second Free Baptist Church
This church was organized on White Oak Hill in 1840 with 40 members. The most had belonged to the First Church on Megquier hill. Among them were John Stanton, William Stanton, William McCann, Lorenzo Thurston, George Thurston, Joseph Trickey, David McCann, Betsey Stanton, Lydia Stanton, Lucy McCann, and Rachel Stanton. Rev George Haskell was installed pastor and in 1841 35 members were added. From 1841 to 1856 the pastors were Rev Smith Fairfield, Rev Thomas Kenniston, and one other. From
1856 to 1876 Rev John Pinkham did great service, and since preaching has been supplied by students from Bates College and various itinerants. The membership is about 40. The church was built and dedicated in 1870 William Stanton and William McCann were chosen deacons at the organization and held office until their death Deacon McCann died in 1878 and was succeeded by Leo F Thurston. Deacon Stanton did in 1885 since which time no one has been elected.