History of Bailey Brothers
Store and Grain Mill,
East Poland, Maine
The Grand Trunk Railroad was constructed by here in 1849 and a station was erected and was known as Empire Road Station. Various parties ran a store until D. Wheeler and Moses Bailey about 1872 purchased it.
D W Bailey & Bros. Store and Blacksmith Shop began operations in 1869 across the railroad track between the houses known as The Cyrus Austin, later owned by Roland and Wesley Strout. Dennis and Phyllis O'Connor, and the home of A Merwin and Annie Pulsifer Gary, which was built in 1936, presently own it.
The brothers erected a grain mill across the road from the store in 1884. D Wheeler Bailey was appointed Postmaster in 1887 retiring in 1913. A nephew Ralph Stone received the appointment at that time. In 1919 Moses Bailey retired from the store selling his half of the business to Mr. Stone. Moses passed away Dec 30, 1920. In 1927 D Wheeler Bailey died and Mr. Stone acquired the remainder of the business and continued under the same trade name.
The grain mill burned in October 1922 and the present one erected nearer to the railroad siding in 1923. On July 4, 1935 the store burned along with the home close by known as the Rand place then occupied by James and Gertrude Murray. While the present owners A Merwin and Annie Pulsifer Gary were on their honeymoon and expected to return to take up residence in the rent above the store which had previously been occupied by Raymond and Florence Waterhouse for several years-they having built a new home nearby. Business was carried on as usual in the barn of Mr. Stone while the present store was built and occupied in September 1935.
In 1940 Ralph Stone as 70 being automatically retired from the Post Office sold the business to his wife Josie A stone and two step sons A Merwin and Wilfred Gary. For a short period they carried on until Wilfred entered the US Army in World War II and sold to the other two. Mrs. Stone served as Postmaster until her retirement in 1955 when the present Postmaster Annie P Gary was appointed June 1, 1956. In 1957 the business was purchased by Mrs. Stone's son A Merwin Gary and is still operating under the original trade name.