moved to this location shortly after the birth of
his son, David Lewman James, who was born in the
Daily Home on Walnut Street, in 1901.
1915 Jimmy James became a Postmaster of
Charlestown and was also engaged in the furniture
business for a short period of time. Sometime
around 1920-1925, he established the James
David James, contributor
of the photo, was born at the funeral home, where
his parents were living at the time. They had
summoned "Ol' Doc Marshall" whose
office was just across the street to come assist
Mrs. Theodocia (Lewman)
James, kept such a beautiful yard with so many
flowers, set off by the iron fence which ran
around the property. There was also a grape arbor
leading to the outhouse, a chicken yard, a garden
and a large cherry tree.
"Jimmy" James moved in with his son on
Water Street, and the funeral home was sold to
the Grayson family.